Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ireland.com problems

Options
  • 10-10-2012 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi, I have an ireland.com email address which I currently can't log into. Anyone any idea who supports this as I can't find any contact details/support info on the home page www.ireland.com ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Registrant:
    Irish Times Ltd.
    The Irish Times Building
    24-28 Tara Street
    Dublin,
    IE

Domain name: IRELAND.COM

Administrative Contact:
    Times, Irish services@irishtimes.com
    The Irish Times Building
    24-28 Tara Street
    Dublin,
    IE
    +353.16758000
    Technical Contact:
    Times, Irish services@irishtimes.com
    The Irish Times Building
    24-28 Tara Street
    Dublin,
    IE
    +353.16758000

Registration Service Provider:
    TIBUS, support@tibus.com
    +442.890424190
    +442.890424709 (fax)
    http://www.tibus.com
    This company may be contacted for domain login/passwords,
    DNS/Nameserver changes, and general domain support questions.

Registrar of Record: TUCOWS, INC.
    Record last updated on 18-Sep-2012.
    Record expires on 29-Sep-2014.
    Record created on 30-Sep-1997.

Registrar Domain Name Help Center:
    http://tucowsdomains.com

Domain servers in listed order:
    NS1.TIBUS.NET
    NS2.TIBUS.NET
    NS0.TIBUS.NET

try the services@irishtimes.com address or phone number above ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

I've been having problems logging in on and off since yesterday evening. Twice since then I have seen a message "server down for maintenance" so I presume that is what is causing you problems. That message is not showing up at the moment but I still can't connect.

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 6 elle_bee

From what I can remember the support address given in the error message about maintenance was customerservice@digitalworx.ie. Not 100% sure but it definitely wasn't an Irish Times domain address! This has happened a couple of times before also without warning. If it's maintenance you would assume they would have a scheduled, out of hours maintenance window and be able to pre-warn users! It's been gone since yesterday and I have emails I need to get to :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭TMC99

Just worked for me 2 minutes ago - but did not work earlier so seems to be intermittent

Should add - the POP functionality seems to be working all the time - I am receiving them on my phone without issue, even when I am unable to login via the web.

Seems to be ok now!

• Advertisement

Spoke too soon :(. At least I got the address right!

Maintenance Notice

The servers are currently down for maintenance.

During this period, access to your Ireland.com email will be unavailable. We apologise for any inconvenience caused and are performing this maintenance to improve our service to you. Thank you for your understanding. Should you have any questions please contact customerservice@digitalworx.ie

BTW how are you supposed to contact a support email address when you can't access your email!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 QuickHide

Thanks for the responses folks..
    Yeah it's been intermittent today. I got it back for a while after I posted, now it's gone again.

Luckily I have a few other backup addresses. I've had a few problems with this email before, such as sending to certain recipients gets blocked from time to time, and the only way I found around that was to save a draft the minute I started the email, then resend from the draft. Strange... I don't find it that reliable tbh.

Thx again for the help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Setanta_og

This has become a dreadfully unreliable service almost impossible to log on. This problem has been happening for a while but over the last few days I'm only getting 500 SERVER ERROR message. When you check out what that means it comes up as a catch all ERROR message in other words the system cant pin point the the issue except to say its a provider problem not client based
    I have had occasion in the past to contact the support email address associated with the service it appeared to be based in Denmark??? Unfortunately it my primary email address provider as I liked the ireland dot com element the last be of patriotism I had left in me and this too has turned out to be a pipe dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

I got logged on and checked email just now. First time today!

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

red sean wrote: »
    I got logged on and checked email just now. First time today!
    Thanks for tipping me off on that sean. Having tried to access it at least six times today, I had given up hope. Have now just completed my days correspondance. Will need to get new mail service if this is going to be recurrent (but I rather like the 'ireland.com' moniker, and was v happy with the service until just lately - have been using it for a good few years, and originally was happy to pay 30euros per year for the pleasure, before it went free)
    Had read somewhere that irish times are selling off that domain name (for a handsome sum I believe). Wonder if that has anything to do with todays events??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

contact phone number for Ireland.com email service is 01-8279400

I've just rang them, and the guy told me they were having problems, but couldn't give any details.

I asked him could they not at least put up a notice on the login page to give people an idea of what's going on: as is, a few of us here on that email domain have had no service for 4 days now.

Right now, I can receive, but not send.

A couple (of hundred... ;) ) phone calls to the above number might elicit some sort of response............

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Further to this, did everyone get a mail from ireland.com saying that the domain is gonzo from Nov 7?? :mad: All that transferring of emails now... sigh...

Anyone know of a good domain to change to (not incl. hotmail, gmail or yahoo)?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭spida

I got that email too, on my way home from work and couldn't be more annoyed. Here's the instantly-created todo list (so far):
    • Tell all friends, family, work contacts of my new address
    • Put a notice on my ireland.com account letting people know.
    • Choose a new provider (not a small decision)
    • Update ALL websites that have that as my email address for when my password fails (there won't be any accessing them if you can't get to your email address!)
    • Transfer many years of emails (back to 2002 I believe) over to the new account
    Livid!:mad:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

QuickHide wrote: »
    Further to this, did everyone get a mail from ireland.com saying that the domain is gonzo from Nov 7?? :mad: All that transferring of emails now... sigh...

Anyone know of a good domain to change to (not incl. hotmail, gmail or yahoo)?

Your probably better off going for one of the "big ones" as they are less likely to end up like this service has done and leave you with a load of hassle. Microsoft now offer @outlook.com email addresses for free, I think if you go onto www.live.ie you can get a @live.ie email address.
    The other option is buying webhosting and a domain and having your own email address..

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭N64

yoyo wrote: »
    Your probably better off going for one of the "big ones" as they are less likely to end up like this service has done and leave you with a load of hassle. Microsoft now offer @outlook.com email addresses for free, I think if you go onto www.live.ie you can get a @live.ie email address.
    The other option is buying webhosting and a domain and having your own email address..

Nick

You can also get a free custom .co.nr / co.cc address and use it with google apps (so you it would be nearly the same as using gmail)

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

The domain name was sold to Tourism Ireland. Can't link to it but its on the journal.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭JDxtra

About time they got the domain, but just killing the hosted email service at short notice is very unfair.

6 months orderly wind down would be more appropriate.

Sold for €495,000. Eeek!

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/1015/breaking44.html

Now there's a waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Geguinnegas

First RTE shut down long wave and now this. Message to all emigrants: "when you're gone, you're gone". Sums it up perfectly.

yoyo wrote: »

Nick

Outlook is a possibility alright. I actually wouldn't mind going the webhosting route... I was told it would cost around 100 euro p/year? Doesn't sound like a bad option if using for work.

At least I didn't have the address that long, unlike some of you. What a pain eh? I liked the name too!

• Advertisement

Another option is to sign up for Google Apps for business (the free version) - and get your own domain account ($8/year for a .com) with full GMail access under this domain.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 RugbyFan

I have looked at mail.com - they offer a whole host of domain names - for free, including @Irelandmail.com and @Dublin.com

Have any of you used them before? Free with an advert on-screen or $20/year for ad free.

RF

JDxtra wrote: »
    Another option is to sign up for Google Apps for business (the free version) - and get your own domain account ($8/year for a .com) with full GMail access under this domain.

But that's all cloud apps is it? I use macros and 3rd party tools in Word and I mightn't be able to use them that way? Silly questions maybe... I'm not that technical :o

The live.ie sounds like a good idea too. Will look into that today.

I heard them talking about the ireland.com thing on the radio this morning, a lot of people surprised/annoyed. Think a huge amount of people picked it cos of the name....very patriotic lot us!!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭DaveyCakes

I think is a bizarre (as well as annoying) decision. They claim the ireland.com domain will be used to promote Ireland.....surely one of the simplest thing they could have done was to allow people to "Get your own little piece of Ireland (.com)" with an email address.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 KeithGav

You may be aware that The Irish Times has just sold it's ireland.com domain name to Tourism Ireland and that the service will be discontinued from the 7th November next.

Personally, I think this is disgraceful and would urge anyone affected by this to contact them directly at customerservice@digitalworx.ie.
    Below is a copy of the email I have sent to them:

I am emailing to register my disgust at your decision to sell the ireland.com domain to Tourism Ireland and the impact this will have on your customers.

As a regular user of the service for over 10 years, this development will affect me in a number of ways- having used the domain name as my main business email account, the address was extremely beneficial as it was easy to remember and is my main point of contact for friends, colleagues and customers. Not only will I now have to go through the tortuous process of having to inform everyone of a change of email address, but I will also need to get all my corporate literature, business cards, brochures, etc. revised, which will be a very expensive exercise and a cost I could do without in the current economic climate.

I have had a look at the FAQs page you have created for service users to detail how to deal with this transition and the attitude exhibited in same is contemptuous to say the least- your assertion that when initially signing up for the service, users implicitly acknowledged the terms and conditions and ownership of the 'free service' resided with ireland.com- this ignores the fact that we have been paying for this 'premium service' for the past number of years...

I would strongly urge you to reconsider how you are treating users of this service and how you propose to manage the transition- while your grubby little deal with Tourism Ireland, which provides you with an exit from the business which you have obviously long sought to do as demonstrated by the minimalist approach used in relation to customer service and technical maintenance of the service in recent years, probably cannot be reversed at this stage, how you treat customers having to cope with this changeover can be easily improved. You state that, after the 7th December 2012, "all data will be removed and destroyed", and that users will have to export all of their emails to a new account- surely in this day of 'cloud computing' and easy remote access etc., it would not be too much to ask that the data each user has be exported to a temporary holding site while they make new arrangements. More importantly, and to lessen the burden you are imposing on customers of the service, it should not be too much to expect that a mail forwarding service be provided so that customers can have emails sent to their existing ireland.com address automatically forwarded to their new address? In my opinion, such a facility should be a basic minimum service, provided on an indefinite basis, for long-standing customers of ireland.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭granturismo

DaveyCakes wrote: »
    I think is a bizarre (as well as annoying) decision. They claim the ireland.com domain will be used to promote Ireland.....surely one of the simplest thing they could have done was to allow people to "Get your own little piece of Ireland (.com)" with an email address.

I've emailed Tourism Ireland - surely they can continue to provide the email service. Their address is

[EMAIL="corporate.admin@tourismireland.com?subject=Corporate%20site%20feedback%20and%20comments"]corporate.admin@tourismireland.com[/EMAIL].

• Registered Users Posts: 5 KeithGav

You can also email Irish Times directly at:
    services@irishtimes.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭granturismo

KeithGav wrote: »
    You can also email Irish Times directly at:
    services@irishtimes.com

Why? they are selling the domain and have no interest in providing email services.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sanguine Fan

KeithGav wrote: »
    You may be aware that The Irish Times has just sold it's ireland.com domain name to Tourism Ireland and that the service will be discontinued from the 7th November next.

Personally, I think this is disgraceful and would urge anyone affected by this to contact them directly at customerservice@digitalworx.ie.
    Below is a copy of the email I have sent to them:

I could not agree more. It is not only outrageous, it is also very silly. The ireland.com email address is in itself a great promotion for this country. I email people all over the world and I have always felt very proud of my address. I fail to see why Tourism Ireland, of all people, can't see the advantage of retaining this service. I joined ireland.com when there was an annual subscription and I was happy to pay it for such a great address. I am livid. :mad:

On a practical note, I have used the address on various web sites I frequent, including PayPal and iTunes, and I am wondering now if I will be able to give them a new address without losing my account history. Apart from that is the fact that I have used the address in advertising and I have no control over its circulation beyond the cut-off date. Apparently if anyone tries to email me at that address after December 7th it will bounce back to the sender.

I really thought that because I got the address through The Irish Times it would be around forever... :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

DaveyCakes wrote: »

It's a lot of work and resources to host such a large scale email service, plus your going to need special IT depts for it regarding stability/security/issue fixing. Then you have the support side of it.
    I doubt the Tourist Board would have the resources to do this, especially as I would think the advertising benefits would be quite minimal. This happens quite a bit with lesser known free email hosts, either use a large trusted one like Google, Microsoft or if for business use you should really get a business domain and email hosting, more expensive yes, but more professional looking and also reliable as you will own the domain
    On a practical note, I have used the address on various web sites I frequent, including PayPal and iTunes, and I am wondering now if I will be able to give them a new address without losing my account history. Apart from that is the fact that I have used the address in advertising and I have no control over its circulation beyond the cut-off date. Apparently if anyone tries to email me at that address after December 7th it will bounce back to the sender.
    It should be as simple as logging into your paypal/itunes etc. profiles and updating your email address. People do change email addresses all the time, it is very common so most web systems are built to allow this

Nick

Advertisement