Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's the difference between iPhone 4 + 4s

• 10-10-2012 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭

I'm going to meet someone this week about buying an iPhone 4s.
    I was wondering is there any way to tell it is a 4s just by looking at it.
    I don't want to be handed a 4 and be thinking i got a 4s

Cheers
    Coco

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

They are very similar but there are differences.
    http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/the-difference-between-the-iphone-4-and-iphone-4s/

Do you have a micro sim for it? If so put that in, start phone up and check it's unlocked to your network.

Then press the home button a second or two, Siri should start up.
    Ask Siri a few questions.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=473SQdcUJik

Is phone supposed to be unlocked to all networks?
    Look for a Cydia icon among the icons, if Cydia is installed the phone is jailbroken and depending on ios version could be unlocked to you network that way. Then if you update to ios6 this might make the unlock to stop working.

Look at the side where the buttons are.

4S on the left, 4 on the right. Note the black line at the top of the 4S near the vibrate switch.

iPhone%204s%20on%20left%20AT+T%20and%204on%20right-edge.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭flower tattoo

biko wrote: »

Do you have a micro sim for it? If so put that in, start phone up and check it's unlocked to your network.

Look for a Cydia icon among the icons, if Cydia is installed the phone is jailbroken and depending on ios version could be unlocked to you network that way. Then if you update to ios6 this might make the unlock to stop working.

If its a 4 - it won't have Siri

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

If its jailbroken it could be a 4 with siri on it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

If its a 4 - it won't have Siri

I think thats his point :confused:
    If SIRI works its a 4S as the OP said he is looking at a 4S.

• Advertisement

Here is how I'd do it:

Look for the tell-tale slits in the metal antennae around the phone, as pointed out.
    With phone off, put in sim card (has to be micro).
    Start phone.
    Check that it is using version 6 (latest version for iphone).
    Ring someone to check call quality and carrier unlock.
    Use Siri once or twice.

If all of this works I'd buy the phone as a 4s.

As there is no untethered jailbreak for ios6 any siri clone won't work after starting phone up unconnected.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Also if it's running iOS 6, only the 4S will have the panorama option in camera mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

Cheers all.

Just one more question.

Is there anyway of checking the EMEI no online to see if its stolen or not?

I tried ringing 3 before but they wouldn't tell me as the phone wasn't in my name.

I don't think so, maybe someone else knows.
    If it works with your sim during the test call (at time of purchase) it won't be blacklisted.

Do you have a sim that will fit in the 4s? If not get one before you go to meet the seller. Any network micro sim should work (if the phone is factory unlocked).
    You can probably just pop into a phone shop and get one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

cococoady wrote: »
    Just one more question.

Is there anyway of checking the EMEI no online to see if its stolen or not?

I tried ringing 3 before but they wouldn't tell me as the phone wasn't in my name.

As long as it works with your sim its not black listed, BUT, thats not to say the owner will then claim it stolen after you buy and it then becomes black listed.

Where are you buying from?
    My best advice when buying phones is buy from a verified seller on www.adverts.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

I don't think so, maybe someone else knows.
    If it works with your sim during the test call (at time of purchase) it won't be blacklisted.

Do you have a sim that will fit in the 4s? If not get one before you go to meet the seller. Any network micro sim should work (if the phone is factory unlocked).
    There is no guarantee that the seller won't report it lost after selling it.

Op I wouldn't buy it second hand unless you buy from adverts from someone with good rep or a friend if a friend. It's too easy to get scammed with iPhones and no matter how much proof you have of buying it legitimately the network will blacklist it if the original owner requests

kceire wrote: »
    As long as it works with your sim its not black listed, BUT, thats not to say the owner will then claim it stolen after you buy and it then becomes black listed.

Where are you buying from?
    My best advice when buying phones is buy from a verified seller on www.adverts.ie

Ye it's from a chap on Adverts alright and he has good feedback.

Thanks for yer help lads

• Registered Users Posts: 20 clarklsparkl

Stay away from O2 they are passing off Iphone 4 as Iphone 4s, and when you call customer care about it they say the IMEI number you have is coming up as an Iphone 4s but the good people at Apple will tell you straight away that your phone is just an Iphone 4. I only found out about this when I went to claim for a lost phone and the insurance told me it was an Iphone 4 and that was what they would replace. O2 kept on insisting to me it was an Iphone 4s. This situtation is still not resolved and the way I have been treated by O2 Customer Care is a disgrace, shame on O2 shame on you. If you know of anybody who bought an Iphone off O2 lately check it out as it may not be what it's supposed to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Stay away from O2 they are passing off Iphone 4 as Iphone 4s, and when you call customer care about it they say the IMEI number you have is coming up as an Iphone 4s but the good people at Apple will tell you straight away that your phone is just an Iphone 4. I only found out about this when I went to claim for a lost phone and the insurance told me it was an Iphone 4 and that was what they would replace. O2 kept on insisting to me it was an Iphone 4s. This situtation is still not resolved and the way I have been treated by O2 Customer Care is a disgrace, shame on O2 shame on you. If you know of anybody who bought an Iphone off O2 lately check it out as it may not be what it's supposed to be.

How the hell would someone not know their brand new phone was the previous model?

Advertisement