Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Network Q

Options
  • 10-10-2012 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭

I was considering using homeplugs to transfer data between a PC upstairs and a media center by the TV. The modem/router is seperate in the hallway.

My question is: The modem/router has only 10/100 router capabilites however I was going to get 500mpbs homeplugs. if the media center "contacts" the PC, does all data go through the modem/router and hence get constrained by the 10/100 or does it contact direct and hence a lot faster speed?
    I know this is probably a very simple question but excuse my ignorance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Your router is like your heart, all blood flows from there and back, as do all packets.

If you're router is 100Mbps, then your whole network will operate at that, unless you have a really really old desktop running 10. 100Mps = ~12MegaByte per second, which isnt too shabby. If you set up a DNLA host on the PC then you can just stream to the media box as you need it, no waiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

If your DSL router is the bottleneck, just put a gigabit router behind it. But 100 Mps is plenty for streaming...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

ah cool. So to pick up on another point, if PC is set up as DNLA host or indeed NAS with DNLA activated, can media player stream direct or still through router?
    Issue is that 2 people might be both streaming 1080 mkvs to 2 different media players hence maximising the speed.
    Lastly, do I get a modem and disable the DHCP and then connect to a gigabit router which does the DHCP and all problems solved?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

You can disable DHCP on the modem but then your router will need a static IP address. You home network should be set to a different IP range (i.e. 192.168.2.xxx) then.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

TheDriver wrote: »
    Issue is that 2 people might be both streaming 1080 mkvs to 2 different media players hence maximising the speed.

Benchmark the hosts output to be sure, but its pretty much going to be enough. Those clips will be about 3500kbps for playback, so well within limits.

• Advertisement

You'll be lucky to get about 100Mbps with 500Mbps homeplugs anyway so I wouldn't worry about 'bottlenecking' them with a 10/100 router.

Its only really with the coming generations of homeplug technology that we'll start to exceed 100Mbps practically and consistently. Then you definitely will want a gigabit router. Right now 10/100 is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

ED E wrote: »
    Your router is like your heart, all blood flows from there and back, as do all packets.

Powerline plugs are a switched network and 500Mbps is the theoretical switched speed. Real speeds between two devices would be lucky to manage 100Mbps. You don't need to touch the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

OK sorry for jumping in here but have a question or 2 before I spend some cash on a few homeplugs

link here to my proposed network layout (currently everything is running off wireless but lag is painful so I need to get things wired up)
    I have all the equipment bar the homeplugs and I have been looking at the 2 options below

TP-LINK

Solwise

My questions are
    • Do I need the 500Mbps homeplugs?
    • Is My Network set up looking correct?
    • Do passthrough homeplugs work as well as regular ones?

any thoughts or pointers appriciated

Advertisement