Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New "Town" for Cork Northside Suburbs

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Ernest wrote: »
    Is this just another form of post Celtic Tiger exuberance or sensible town planning?

Too difficult to tell. When I was at the press conference for this, some time ago now, it was not taken seriously and pertinent questions just attracted blank stares.

It's a whole new regime now, I think, so am not up to speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭TwoTokeTommy

Seems ambitious: "...council plans envisage development at Monard will not be completed until 2045."

What's the logic behind it? Some developer lad think tis a good idea??

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Lucyn

Have they learned nothing from Adamstown? Not to mention all the ghost estates around the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

Documents including the Press Release can be found at: http://www.corkcoco.ie/co/web/Cork%20County%20Council/Departments/Planning/Monard
    Ernest wrote: »
    Is this just another form of post Celtic Tiger exuberance or sensible town planning?

On the face of it would appear to be sensible town planning. As pointed out in the press release the population continues to grow and there is still demand for housing in the Cork metropolitan area. Also, from the press release:
    The main difficulty in Adamstown SDZ was that it was planned when the property market had already fully recovered, and building started there in 2004, late in the economic cycle. The right time to plan for a recovery is before it gets underway, in the middle of the previous recession, and this is why the Monard Planning Scheme is being published now. If we don’t put it in place, we risk being propelled by events into measures which solve immediate problems, but exacerbate longer term ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

After having a quick read over the stuff on the council website it seems like a good idea, which the council rarely has imo.
    All for the same price as 1km of the Luas as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭petersburg2002

I did the Census for that area not so long ago. Lot of houses were unoccupied. Cork already has big number of ghost estates. Madness to be building a new town in that spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

Is this going to be a council town?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

5,000 houses for 12,500 people. Thats the most retarded figure in the most retarded plan iv ever seen the council come up with.

Would they ever just develop the docklands. That place is crying for development. Literally minutes from the city center yet full of derelict bonded warehouses. Its a joke.

That train station will be pointless aswell. Its not as if Kent station is smack bang in the middle of the city center. A proper bus service would be alot more effective. I dont see the point in getting a 10 minute train and then a 20min walk to go somewhere that could be a 15 minute bus journey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

More solid efforts to turn Cork City into a doughnut with a completely dead center.

How much more commuting do we need to do? Develop the city center residential zones for goodness sake. Docklands, upper stories on the main streets, could all be fantastic living areas.

Why they want to push us further and further away from the amenities and their families is totally beyond me. Makes no environmental sense, no standard of living sense, and no financial sense to drag cables and water and roads out that distance to the middle of nowhere. And for what, to create a giant bottleneck of traffic (everyone will be getting out every morning to go work). And a skewed population demographic to boot. An entire town where all the children are the same age hits their teens in the same few years, with nothing to do. Recipe for success? I think not.

Towns evolve naturally where people want to live. Did any of these people even pay attention in geography class in school to how settlements work?

Councillers involved need heads banging together.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

Hogzy wrote: »
    5,000 houses for 12,500 people. Thats the most retarded figure in the most retarded plan iv ever seen the council come up with.

Would they ever just develop the docklands. That place is crying for development. Literally minutes from the city center yet full of derelict bonded warehouses. Its a joke.

That train station will be pointless aswell. Its not as if Kent station is smack bang in the middle of the city center. A proper bus service would be alot more effective. I dont see the point in getting a 10 minute train and then a 20min walk to go somewhere that could be a 15 minute bus journey.

Thats the City Council silly ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

This was planned during the Tiger days and Fleming Construction were behind it.

Also Monard is the name of the area at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

Plenty of empty estates in areas around Monard, like whitechurch, blarney etc. Colemans builders were involved initially in the Monard plan, they have 2 large aparment blocks sitting idle in Blarney for the last 4 years...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

yep, I wish they would finish my estate first which D&J started and now is just sitting idle.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

The €600m town that was ermarked for Stoneview near Blarney is up for sale by NAMA http://www.daft.ie/searchcommercial.daft?id=103810.

This is only 2-3km from Monard.

Was originally going to have 2,500 homes.

Looking for €3-4m for it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

BrianjG wrote: »
    yep, I wish they would finish my estate first which D&J started and now is just sitting idle.

God love you, mate has a d&J house and its awful rubbish, complete cowboys.....

Advertisement