Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone recommend a hotel for San Francisco?

Options
  • 10-10-2012 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭

Will be visiting for 4/5 days in February before driving down to LA. Just sightseeing but not really too fussed about location as long its easily accessible by public transport from the airport and reasonably priced?

Also would it be okay to not book anything in advance for the drive from SF to LA. I figure it should be quiet enough in February and we might get good walk up rates from B&B/motels?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Lombardo86

Will be visiting for 4/5 days in February before driving down to LA. Just sightseeing but not really too fussed about location as long its easily accessible by public transport from the airport and reasonably priced?

Also would it be okay to not book anything in advance for the drive from SF to LA. I figure it should be quiet enough in February and we might get good walk up rates from B&B/motels?

The drive in total should take maybe 7 hours.. Not sure what your plan is about how many nights you want to stop for etc but when I did that coast drive we drove from SF to Santa Barbara (5 hours), stayed there for 2 nights and then drove to LA. I think that is where you should stop it's a gorgeous place.

Can't actually remember the name of the motel we stayed in but i don't think you will make life easy on yourself just showing up, especially considering how easy it is to book online these days. The online rates will already be adjusted to take into consideration that it's a low season - i dont think its worth the risk Have a look online, at least you get to choose where you stay rather than leaving it and maybe taking all thats left

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

I've stayed here http://www.thepickwickhotel.com/
    I got a good advance rate on eBookers and the location is good.

Be careful when you book, as some places (like around the Civic Center and the Tenderloin) can be a bit sketchy at night.

I've also stayed here http://www.hotelwhitcomb.com/ It's just on the 'edge' of the Tenderloin, along Market St, and the F-Streetcar stops outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Great thanks I'll check them out!

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Dice75

Stayed in Hotel Nikko when there c4 years ago. Central, just off Union Square, and reasonable enough.

BART runs from Airport into CC so handy enough.

San Fran is a walkable City, quite compact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

We stayed in the Clift in SF, a few years ago. Nice place, was a few posers there but great location in Union Sq. Would go back to it.

• Advertisement

senelra wrote: »
    I've also stayed here http://www.hotelwhitcomb.com/ It's just on the 'edge' of the Tenderloin, along Market St, and the F-Streetcar stops outside.

I'll probably go with this as its the cheapest by a long way, has decent reviews and seems to be well located near to transport.

Hotel Nikko is $600 a night compared to $140 for the Whitcomb!

Stayed in Fusion on Ellis just off Union Square last year, was reasonable enough, grand area as well.

Actually went with The Chancellor Hotel in the end. Not the cheapest but has a good location in Union Square and mostly good reviews. If anyone wants I update this next February when I'm back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Stayed at The Inn on Union Square a few years ago. Not very impressive from the outside but quite nice inside. Top floor rooms have a fab view over the city (it's no. 5 on Tripadvisor). We travelled from San Fran to Yosemite and back to the coast on down Big Sur for 2 weeks. Only place we prebooked was Yosemite. It was high summer and there was never a problem finding a hotel, there are loads of hotels/motels all around California.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Actually went with The Chancellor Hotel in the end. Not the cheapest but has a good location in Union Square and mostly good reviews. If anyone wants I update this next February when I'm back
    I stayed there a few years back, it's a nice hotel, great location. Right on Union Square and across the road from a cable car stop. It's a very European style hotel with cute touches like a little rubber duck in the bathroom.

At the time I booked, it was a bit beyond my budget, I emailed the manager and he gave me a deal on the room and threw in $25 per day dining credit per day. I'll PM you his contact details.

• Advertisement
Advertisement