Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV aerial-rented accomadation

• 10-10-2012 11:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 371 ✭✭

I have just moved into a new apartment. Its ground floor, with a roofed alley running alongside. The roof is pitched so there is not alot of space to the side.
    There is an aerial "plug" in the wall, but there seems to be no actual aerial attached to it. I tried getting UPC out to wire up a new one but the lady upstairs refused permission to allow me to fix an aerial to her wall.
    Now Im left with a small bunny ear aerial pointing out the window picking up the irish saorview channels.
    My question is, is the apartment complex supposed to have a communal aerial installed? I have asked Sky to come, they wont be able to come for 3 weeks, and I fear that they will not be able to position an aerial away from the apartment above. So then I will be totally screwed. Every other apartment has aerials attached to the apartment above, but this lady wont allow me. Her aerial is positioned slightly to the side, there doesn't seem to be enough space for another one.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Where abouts are you living? If you are in a town then UPC should not need to put up an arial as their service is provided via cable.

Also in an apartment building the person above you does not have say over what can be put on the outside of the building. Usually in apartment buildings the management company will be the ones who ban external arials or dishes. If these are not banned by the management company and other tenants have arials/dishes up then your neighbour has no right to say anything to you; she has no control over the outside of the building.

If the management company are being a PITA about dishes/arials then suggest to them that they get a communal Sky dish installed. This would mean Sky would put up only one dish in the complex which all residents would then use (rather than each apartment having their own dishes). Some management companies are becoming more open to this idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 371 ✭✭Catxscotch

Hi DJIMI, thanks for your reply. I live outside a town so no cabling available. The lady upstairs owns her apartment, and I don't feel it would be good to start a dispute. I want to know is the management company obliged to put up an aerial?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

The lady upstairs owns the inside of her apartment; the outside walls do not belong to her! If other residents have aerials up (including this lady) and the management company has no problem with it then she cannot stop you from putting one up also.

The management company itself is not obliged to put up aerials or dishes (unless its written into the leasehold contract, which I doubt it would be). By the sounds of it though the management company in your complex does not prohibit residents putting up their own aerials.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

djimi wrote: »
    The lady upstairs owns the inside of her apartment; the outside walls do not belong to her! If other residents have aerials up (including this lady) and the management company has no problem with it then she cannot stop you from putting one up also.

The management company itself is not obliged to put up aerials or dishes (unless its written into the leasehold contract, which I doubt it would be). By the sounds of it though the management company in your complex does not prohibit residents putting up their own aerials.
    I get perfect picture using small aerial teninch bought from powercity .she doesnt own the roof its up to management co
    To allow a roof aerial or skydish
    U can get all irish channels on a website if uhave broadband
    .google rte tv3 , online tv ireland
    It streams tv live its a legal

website.
    Its not her business if u have
    an aerial.

My aerial uses a power supply .
    Cost 25 euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Catxscotch wrote: »
    I want to know is the management company obliged to put up an aerial?

No. The management company have no obligation at all to provide an aerial, nor satellite dish access.

If you are renting, talk to your landlord.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Most apartments have rules against putting up dishes, or aerials without permission, its up to buyer of apartment to check is there cable tv, Sky are happy to provide a communal dish if they get permission to install it,.
    \IF THERES people in the block that want sky tv.

Advertisement