Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Post zombie apocalypse car, 4x4 or van.

Options
  • 10-10-2012 11:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭

a bit of fun really...

Scenario

End of the world style...

People are being infected by a man made disease much like in 'I am Legend' through developing a cure for aids or another disease. The cells have mutated in individuals who are on the testing programme and boom a national pandemic erupts... wild spread panic the lot everyone is dying but after a couple of days the corpses are re-animating and looking for a meal.

YOU have survived and possibly your family, whichever you choose.

What's your choice of vehicle and why?

Things I thought on;

Best MPG
    Best acceleration & top speed
    Cover ground quickly & multiple terrains

Factor in fuel will eventually get hard to get, do you go petrol or diesel?

Mine: Considering its gonna have to be fairly easy to get hold of.

vw touareg diesel

2011-Volkswagen-Touareg-TDI-placeme.jpg

So what's yours?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I think i'd be looking for something AWD and armoured, with room for a lot of fuel and water. Maybe this: http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Mercedes-Benz/G-Class/G-Series/201236209874975/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Let's be realistic here for a moment

If a zombie apocalypse happens, you're not going to go on Donedeal and search for your ideal car

You go to the nearest dealer, car park, motorway where you can whatever big heavy car you can and get it equipped for your needs

Diesel will be a plus millage wise, but there will be more petrol cars scattered throughout the place for you to siphon etc

A jeep would be a plus for covering ground

X5? Oldskool Rover? PSNI riot van would be my #1 choice

5937437795_4e4beae5a7_z.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Where would you go? Might as well have a Mini convertible for all the good it will do you.

Where To wrote: »
    Where would you go? Might as well have a Mini convertible for all the good it will do you.
    Mountains or take to the water

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

I want to say a rigid or 40ft truck for the size of them and fuel tank. but doesn't fit description.

no need for off road. roads everywhere sure.

vw caravelle. new. with 4wd

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Toyota Hilux pick-up.

/thread!

A scrambler or a jetski is all you need then, you're merely delaying the inevitable anyway, no point causing unnecessary harm to the environment.

I want to say a rigid or 40ft truck for the size of them and fuel tank. but doesn't fit description.

Roads will be littered with people, bodies, debri and cars.. An offroad vehicle would be ideal, even if you're not going 'off road'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

If there's just been an apocalypse MPG would the last thing on my mind....:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Tallon wrote: »

If a zombie apocalypse happens, you're not going to go on Donedeal and search for your ideal car

You go to the nearest dealer, car park, motorway where you can whatever big heavy car you can and get it equipped for your needs

Diesel will be a plus millage wise, but there will be more petrol cars scattered throughout the place for you to siphon etc

A jeep would be a plus for covering ground

X5? Oldskool Rover? PSNI riot van would be my #1 choice

Realistic? This is just a bit of fun, But I see what your saying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Roads will be littered with people, bodies, debri and cars.. An offroad vehicle would be ideal, even if you're not going 'off road'

that's good. the new Carville has good ground clearance.

lots of mpg for the size too.

plenty of room to sleep in etc.

Realistic? This is just a bit of fun, But I see what your saying.
    It's all fun and games until it happens!

If the Mayans were right, Zombie Jesus will be here in December

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

A scrambler or a jetski is all you need then, you're merely delaying the inevitable anyway, no point causing unnecessary harm to the environment.

Feck the environment. Your going to die, unless you getaway. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

"Borrow" the next door neighbours Hilux, bate down to the Curagh, and get me e MOWAG Piranha.

Edit: or one of the ARW's F350's. along with a few Steyr's.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Hmmm, ish. I'd sooner take whatever was nearest and then drive over to whatever was best. I'd certainly sleep a lot better with armoured glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭sleepyholland

Not sure what the MPG is on these:
    viking-splash.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

I think he was mostly on the right path. Also I read World War Z and Zombie Survival guide, Walking Dead comic etc.. its a matter of time people! :D

Where to go?
    Anywhere there is food and water with minimal people (cities are the worst possible place). If you think its pointless to even try survive, well then you wont last long anyhow so who cares?
    Your objective would ideally be to get to the coast to get to a low populated island, far enough out that "walking" wont get you there through the water. Far enough out that its not visible from the mainland (dont want to be seen by other people).
    This would be the ideal destination. Alternatives are mountains or caves, but neither as good, caves (and prisons, fortresses etc) are only good if you can live there indefinately, ie heating and food on the inside.

What to drive?
    Something reasonably heavy (2.5t and lower) and reasonably powerful (torquey), so as to potentially push through hundreds strong hordes or push vehicles off the road etc.

AWD with a reasonably compact shape would be huge plus. Remember no road maintenance, crashes, blockages, obstructions, you cannot be driving a juggernaut down whats left of roads and passages. It would also attract too much attention. After the initial threat of zombies/plague etc has subsided, its other survivors which pose the greatest threat.

Fuel Type?
    Old diesel engine hands down. Petrol cars are pretty much only going to run on petrol. Even today, in the functioning world there are now more diesel pumps and therefore more diesel fuel on forecourts, farmyards, industrial complexes etc.

Why old diesel? Cos you want something that will run on alternative fuel types - Kerosene, Vegetable oil, Biodiesel, poor quality contaminated diesel. This rules out PD and Common Rail due to complexity and lack of tolerance of fuel types.

MPG
    Would be handy as stopping/scavenging for fuel is a huge danger zone. However its unlikely you will really get all your other requirements in one, so MPG is a nice to have. Also if you consider that without a daily commute, your mileage would actually be minimal.

Therefore my recommendation is:
    LandCruiser Amazon, pre-2000 with V8 Diesel:
    i252878.jpgGetAKit_Badge.jpg

Right size, user servicable, torque over power (top speed is pointless), big enough to be custom plated for protection, small enough to fit anywhere, right fuel type, offroad 4x4 ability, readily available.

Not sure what the MPG is on these:
    viking-splash.jpg
    What if they are colour blind zombies?

Matt Simis wrote: »
    I think he was mostly on the right path. Also I read World War Z and Zombie Survival guide, Walking Dead comic etc.. its a matter of time people! :D

Where to go?
    Anywhere there is food and water with minimal people (cities are the worst possible place). If you think its pointless to even try survive, well then you wont last long anyhow so who cares?
    Your objective would ideally be to get to the coast to get to a low populated island, far enough out that "walking" wont get you there through the water. Far enough out that its not visible from the mainland.
    This would be the ideal destination. Alternatives are mountains or caves, but neither as good, caves (and prisons, fortresses etc) are only good if you can live there indefinately, ie heating and food on the inside.

What to drive?
    Something reasonably heavy (2.5t and lower) and reasonably powerful (torquey), so as to potentially push through hundreds strong hordes or push vehicles off the road etc.

AWD with a reasonably compact shape would be huge plus. Remember no road maintenance, crashes, blockages, obstructions, you cannot be driving a juggernaut down whats left of roads and passages. It would also attract too much attention. After the initial threat of zombies/plague etc has subsided, its other survivors which pose the greatest threat.

Fuel Type?
    Old diesel engine hands down. Petrol cars are pretty much only going to run on petrol. Even today, in the functioning world there are now more diesel pumps and therefore more diesel fuel on forecourts, farmyards, industrial complexes etc.

Why old diesel? Cos you want something that will run on alternative fuel types - Kerosene, Vegetable oil, Biodiesel, poor quality contaminated diesel.

MPG
    Would be handy as stopping/scavenging for fuel is a huge danger zone. However its unlikely you will really get all your other requirements in one, so MPG is a nice to have.

Therefore my recommendation is:
    LandCruiser Amazon, pre-2000 with V8 Diesel:
    i252878.jpg

Right size, user servicable, torque over power (top speed is pointless), big enough to be custom plated for protection, small enough to fit anywhere, right fuel type, offroad 4x4 ability, readily available.
    Dear to tax though.

I'd take an Alfa, get it over with quickly :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

It has to be the Matador.

800px-02252_883.jpg

Dear to tax though.

I laughed waaaay to hard at this :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭akura

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

rnem734j.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Mazda6 MPS :pac:

Chuck, it's not a zombie apocalypse without shotguns ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Find it amusing that people are going for very modern cards, surely you want something thats easy as hell to fix and doesn't have a load of electronics that you have no chance in hell of fixing if they break :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

Mazda6 MPS :pac:

Chuck, it's not a zombie apocalypse without shotguns ;)

Oh there would be shotguns as well. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Bowler_Rally.JPG

bwhahahaha I may not last long but I'd have fun.....provided I could find one randomly abandoned at the side of the road.....in Ireland...:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Light Switch

Seriously, Probably a 90's Transit County.... They may rust but they'll go on and on!
    Kit it out with bull bars, Fit spot lights roof rack etc... Pack it with tools/spares and food and water and drive into the sunset.
    Ford_Transit_County_4x4.jpg

Should find one in a council yard easily enough. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

we all see the best Zombie-proof machines around every day:
    Full-11854619.jpeg

Advertisement