Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Post zombie apocalypse car, 4x4 or van.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Cabaal wrote:
    Find it amusing that people are going for very modern cards, surely you want something thats easy as hell to fix and doesn't have a load of electronics that you have no chance in hell of fixing if they break

Exactly what I was thinking.

I'd have to go old-skool and opt for the likes of an old Land Rover. No complicated electronics, easy to maintain, basic engines.

After all, most mechanics will now be zombie mechanics.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

dudara wrote: »
    Business as usual at MSL so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Or maybe......
    ferrari-458-italia-fire-recall.jpg

Zombies don't like fire right?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

power, torque, ability to go anywhere..........

quad4502005model.jpg

:-p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

bus eireann coach.... with on board bog.

big fuel tank. lots of miles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

1985 Peugeot 309 Diesel. A relative had one until a few years ago, he's an "amateur farmer" and often used it as if it was an off road vehicle - driving on dirt, in the middle of fields, through mud and even small water streams, fueled it with just about anything he could find - from proper diesel to cooking oil (wouldn't be surprised if he even tried some JetA1) for almost 30 years and was still going when his son gave him his dismissed Astra :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

dudara wrote: »
    Exactly what I was thinking.

I'd have to go old-skool and opt for the likes of an old Land Rover. No complicated electronics, easy to maintain, basic engines.

If it breaks just get a different one. Why bother fixing things when there'll be another abandoned vehicles available. As others have pointed out the roads will be blocked so you may need to change vehicles every few km.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Mazda6 MPS :pac:

Chuck, it's not a zombie apocalypse without shotguns ;)

Ive got the shotguns!
    Just need a decent motor,:p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Del2005 wrote: »
    If it breaks just get a different one. Why bother fixing things when there'll be another abandoned vehicles available. As others have pointed out the roads will be blocked so you may need to change vehicles every few km.

The same reason troops fix and maintain their own firearm and not pick up random guns on the battlefield. While yes you should be ready to ditch and swap vehicles, the dangers of doing so are many:

- Could have zombie or survivor in it already
    - Might not run
    - Might have fuel siphoned out (or wrong fuel in it)
    - Might have mechanical problem, as its unknown to you may stop working at worst time later
    - Might be unsafe in some other manner (it was abandoned after all)
    - And the most obvious problem, if its a new car and you most likely dont have a key, you will be defeated by the immobiliser. When you are sitting in it trying to start, you are stranded and a just become trapped food.

So IMO, maintaining your own vehicle is far preferable than hopping around. It allows useful skill development and consolidation of parts along with consistant performance.

Matt, it appears you, like me, have given this way too much thought;)

(yes I read the books too)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Im after thinking of this: Im thinking the MPG would be fairly sh1t, But the amount of blood and zombie guts would be oh so cool. :cool:

Combine-Harvester.jpg

Im after thinking of this: Im thinking the MPG would be fairly sh1t, But the amount of blood and zombie guts would be oh so cool. :cool:

Combine-Harvester.jpg

What i see in that photo is..............

Mounting points, for belt fed ordinance, and assault shotguns:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Actually, giving this some more serious thought... Would a smart car not be the way to go?

Great MPG and you could literally driving on paths, through shopping centres / most buildings etc

Still have shelter from the Z's and sure you can have your Rock N Roll on the radio

• Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Matt Simis wrote: »
    The same reason troops fix and maintain their own firearm and not pick up random guns on the battlefield. While yes you should be ready to ditch and swap vehicles, the dangers of doing so are many:

- Could have zombie or survivor in it already
    - Might not run
    - Might have fuel siphoned out (or wrong fuel in it)
    - Might have mechanical problem, as its unknown to you may stop working at worst time later
    - Might be unsafe in some other manner (it was abandoned after all)
    - And the most obvious problem, if its a new car and you most likely dont have a key, you will be defeated by the immobiliser. When you are sitting in it trying to start, you are stranded and a just become trapped food.

So IMO, maintaining your own vehicle is far preferable than hopping around. It allows useful skill development and consolidation of parts along with consistant performance.

While they are good reasons to keep to one vehicle the biggest issue we'll have is our roads. They are generally narrow with hard boundaries so 3 cars can block a road, even our motorways could be totally blocked by 5 cars, and there will be loads of abandoned vehicles once a road gets blocked so the blockage will be hard to drive past.

As for maintaining your own vehicle against the risk of taking a new one. What's more dangerous having your head stuck in an engine bay fixing a leak etc or looking in the windows of cars for keys and keeping a look out dead/undead people?

Your own car will run out of fuel so you'll need to siphon fuel or break down at a bad spot. So why not choose the biggest vehicle with the most fuel when necessary?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭barura

For a cool 20k sterling (don't know what the VRT is though on this import...)

1279112382FodenRecovery%20011.jpg

http://www.mod-sales.com/direct/vehicle/related/28632/Foden.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Along the right lines with the unimog but this is the one you need

S404-300TDI-erg-chebbi.jpg

It perfectly combines simplicity, off road ability and has living space in the back. :cool:

sorry about the massive pic...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

Combine-Harvester.jpg

Crap top speed. Too wide to go on most back roads, at least 16foot wide cutting head, bitch to steer and the cutting system is no good for chopping up the living dead in any numbers but you are on to something!!!

This would be better for slicing them up!!

297495-big-m-500-krone.jpg

425x285.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

I think it would be impossible to get anywhere in ireland so id have one of these with guns on it, so i could drive into the water and travel along the coast. It would be my mobile home.

sean1141 wrote: »
    Crap top speed. Too wide to go on most back roads, at least 16foot wide cutting head, bitch to steer and the cutting system is no good for chopping up the living dead in any numbers but you are on to something!!!

This would be better for slicing them up!!

297495-big-m-500-krone.jpg

425x285.jpg

Thats what I was looking for, But I didnt know the name of them. So the combine harvester had to do... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

The problem with a lot of suggestions is actually getting hold of said vehicles, in a relative hurry. You need to take what's readily available

For that reason, it would have to be a Toyota Landcruiser 90 series. Found on every farm/site/random place. Stick a bull bar/5 bar gate on the front for baytin zombies out of the way and you have the basic survival machine. Will run till doomsday, and since that has happened, it will just keep going. Feckin zombies.

This is my one... Already hidden from the feckers..

jeep67.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

pred racer wrote: »
    Ive got the shotguns!
    Just need a decent motor,:p

Well it most certainly won't be an Alfa in that case :P

I have the perfect thing that no one has though of:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRNNgv_RS8f-Ze7EAWel9BpZEvp-hws5SvPWhvmmHnRYCgir9gd920NCn-P

Yes, I know the title says 4x4 or van but we have bloody combine harvesters being posted so I'm allowed break the rules :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Damien360

Combine-Harvester.jpg

laughed when I saw that. Reminds me of this clip every time.

http://youtu.be/O6mCUoRYN3Y

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/O6mCUoRYN3Y&quot; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Damien360 wrote: »
    laughed when I saw that. Reminds me of this clip every time.

:pac:That was exactly what I was going for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

I like a challenge:

Pink-Nissan-Micra-C+C.jpeg

Light on juice, and great field of fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

I have the perfect thing that no one has though of:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRNNgv_RS8f-Ze7EAWel9BpZEvp-hws5SvPWhvmmHnRYCgir9gd920NCn-P

Here ya go MM
    Just sell the Bimmer and you're all set!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I'm ready these last five years :D

223978.jpg

Pkiernan wrote: »
    I like a challenge:

Pink-Nissan-Micra-C+C.jpeg

Light on juice, and great field of fire.

I wouldnt even let the undead see me in that!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Del2005 wrote: »
    As for maintaining your own vehicle against the risk of taking a new one. What's more dangerous having your head stuck in an engine bay fixing a leak etc or looking in the windows of cars for keys and keeping a look out dead/undead people?
    I would say the more dangerous path is wandering about looking for cars, trying to start them, dealing with random issues tbh! But the way I picture it is the vehicle of this thread is your reliable stead for getting to your new home and then later scouting out food and stuff from a home base location.

I think you are picturing more of a nomadic need to get from one side of the country to the other ASAP scenario, in which case your idea would be doable, but we just visualised different things.

Also my GF is reading this book, havent checked it out yet :D
    6976345.jpg

Matt Simis wrote: »
    I would say the more dangerous path is wandering about looking for cars, trying to start them, dealing with random issues tbh! But the way I picture it is the vehicle of this thread is your reliable stead for getting to your new home and then later scouting out food and stuff from a home base location.

I think you are picturing more of a nomadic need to get from one side of the country to the other ASAP scenario, in which case your idea would be doable, but we just visualised different things.

Also my GF is reading this book, havent checked it out yet :D
    6976345.jpg

Only one skill needed, headshot:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

Russian Army Tigr jeep:

tigr.jpg

Advertisement