Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Post zombie apocalypse car, 4x4 or van.

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Eugene Speed

Matt Simis wrote: »
    touchc3a9.png
    Glad to know you'll be safe then. :p
    Any background on them?

Hehe yes no worries, they are both sturdy old beasts!

The 4x4 County was originally from RAF Anglesey where it was a fire van. From there it went into service with an events organiser and finally ended up with me. I'd been after one for years and this one came along at just the right time. 2.5Di engine, 5 speed MT75 box, NP208 transfer case, Dana 44F front axle, 5.89:1 diffs, 32" tyres, CB/HAM/PMR radios, onboard water/air/power and welding plant, seating for six and a ton of loadspace.

The armoured van was bagged from Nine Nine Tellycars, who used to rent it out for film and TV work. It was originally a CIT van for a building society, then a wages van for one of the London councils. It was taken off the road in 1995 and stayed in the Tellycars warehouse unless it was on a job. They finally stuck it on ebay but I had been tipped off about it and was around there like a shot with my money!!! The ridiculous bullbars and window grilles, along with the police logos, were added for it's last job on the Guardian Newspaper's 'Three Little Pigs' TV ad, it appears about 1min 17secs in outside the 'courthouse'. Again, 2.5Di engine and 5 sp MT75 box, heavy duty steering and springs, ballistics glass all round, ventilator system with filters, very loud attack alarm, composite armour on the floorpans, aluminium and steel lining to the cab and vault area, fully reinforced and welded doors, and a ton of attitude on the road! The plod don't like it and have tried seizing it before but they got sent on their way when they found out it is a film prop!

Both are a hoot to drive and tend not to get messed with by the usual suspects in their rep-mobiles.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Very cool and yeah, you definitely win, you even have the choice of vehicles on Z day. :p

Is there not some issue driving around with "Police" written on a vehicle which isnt infact a Police vehicle? Or was that just for the photos?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Eugene Speed

Cheers, come Z day I'll be putting those bars to the test! The plod can be funny about the graphics so a lot of the time I cover the ones on the rear quarters and the bonnet. I sort of 'forget' about the huge graphic on the roof. ;)

As soon as they realise it's a film prop they tend to leave me alone. To top it off, I have been asked to bring it along to 'Policing Through The Ages' in Portsmouth this October which is hilarious as it was never a force vehicle! Not that I'm going to say no....

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Rich11

mighty car mods it like a diy austrailian top gear on youtube, LUV IT:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Tallon wrote: »
    Let's be realistic here for a moment

If a zombie apocalypse happens, you're not going to go on Donedeal and search for your ideal car

You go to the nearest dealer, car park, motorway where you can whatever big heavy car you can and get it equipped for your needs

Diesel will be a plus millage wise, but there will be more petrol cars scattered throughout the place for you to siphon etc

A jeep would be a plus for covering ground

X5? Oldskool Rover? PSNI riot van would be my #1 choice

PSNI landrovers have shocking MPG. Also the doors need re hinged every 6 months because of the weight. Also, I've seen them stall a few times and not start again. Maybe its just as much as a normal vehicle but not something you want.

If I walking into a car dealership post apocolypse I would go for a small van. Quick and nippy but plenty of room for people and supplies.

Oh and definately diesel. Kerosene would stretch the fuel supply.

• Advertisement
Advertisement