Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price for returning gas cylinder???

Options
  • 10-10-2012 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question in relation to the small orange gas cylinders. Have found two of them cleaning out an old apartment. Would a shop pay me money for bringing them in (if so roughly how much?) or am I better off bringing them to the dump?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I think it was a €17 deposit per cylinder charged on new ones. I dont think the 'dump' will accept them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You might also contact the gas provider (Calor gas perhaps) and ask their advice.

You may need the serial numbers off the cylinders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

In short - no.

The way it works is that calor give, say, 20 bottles, to a shop.

The next time I get another 20 gas, they look for 20 empties. If I am short, I pay a charge per short cylinder.

Now, you find a few in the garage and ask me to refund them. I will get my money back from calor, that I gave you?

Maybe. Calor will only refund me for any charges I paid in the previous three months (I think it is).

So, the bottom line is, I dont know I charged you a fee for giving you a cylinder without any empty in the first place , and I am unsure of getting my money back from Calor, so I will not give you a refund for your bottles.

Hope this makes sense !

You can always ask though......

dudara wrote: »
    You might also contact the gas provider (Calor gas perhaps) and ask their advice.

You may need the serial numbers off the cylinders.

And serial numbers mean nothing and are not noted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Why do I have to pay a so-called "deposit" when I buy one of these cylinders and then never get that money back when I decide to leave the country for example?

Think I paid about €23.00 deposit yet that's lost, so in effect your first cylinder of gas will cost about €52.00 which is quite scandalous.

vicwatson wrote: »
    Why do I have to pay a so-called "deposit" when I buy one of these cylinders and then never get that money back when I decide to leave the country for example?

Think I paid about €23.00 deposit yet that's lost, so in effect your first cylinder of gas will cost about €52.00 which is quite scandalous.

Good point, why do you? Its probably to make sure you return them.

Calor are the only one who can answer that.

www.calorgas.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

All gas retailers should be forced to refund a deposit amoint of maybe €20 per cylinder and the company should reimburse them.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    All gas retailers should be forced to refund a deposit amoint of maybe €20 per cylinder and the company should reimburse them.

Indeed. Would be a good idea. But until Calor give it to me - I sure as hell am not giving it to you. :D

Hey Foggy, why not contact Calor and ask them....

Indeed. Would be a good idea. But until Calor give it to me - I sure as hell am not giving it to you. :D

Hey Foggy, why not contact Calor and ask them....

But hold on I gave it to you on day 1

If I walk in with my empty cylinder and am not buying a new one from you then you should be giving me back the money I gave you on day 1

The next day I go to buy a full cylinder I should be charged the deposit again and once again given my deposit back once I'm not buying another cylinder from you.

• Advertisement

But hold on I gave it to you on day 1

If I walk in with my empty cylinder and am not buying a new one from you then you should be giving me back the money I gave you on day 1

The next day I go to buy a full cylinder I should be charged the deposit again and once again given my deposit back once I'm not buying another cylinder from you.

I think you have got a bit off the track here. This is about the OP finding some old ones and wondering can he get a refund. Who is owed the refund, and who is liable for it. Who got the deposit and who has it now?

Calor dont care, I dont have your deposit, the OP doesnt even know where they came from.,so Im not giving it to you.

Because Calor wont refund me, I wont refund you.

I wont refund you out of my own pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭chasm

clearodara wrote: »
    Just a quick question in relation to the small orange gas cylinders. Have found two of them cleaning out an old apartment. Would a shop pay me money for bringing them in (if so roughly how much?) or am I better off bringing them to the dump?

According to calor's website you are entitled to nothing!

Do I need to pay an initial charge if I don’t have a bottle to start with?
    Yes, you will need to pay a cylinder service charge which covers the cost and maintenance of the cylinders.

I have inherited unwanted empty Calor cylinders and I would like to know how to dispose of them?
    You can bring your empty cylinders to your local Calor retailer and they will take them from you.

I have an empty cylinder which I no longer need and do not have the Cylinder Service Registration form, does that mean I am unable to claim any available refund?
    Unfortunately yes, although we will be happy to take the cylinder back.

The cylinder services registration card is discussed in this post (albeit regarding a product recall on gas bbq):
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61302608&postcount=10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

The reason why you can't claim a deposit for gas cylinders without the registration form is to reduce the benefit to the minority of the population who used to 'find' cylinders in peoples yards and bring the cylinders back to claim the deposit for themselves!

(perhaps offer your unwanted cylinders to Vincent de Paul? or some other charity who knows of a person who could do with a spare cylinder)

Because Calor wont refund me, I wont refund you.

Therein lies the problems

Calor don't refund you right? So you pay Calor the money that is paid to you by the customer, and they keep it?

You do pay them do you?

Therein lies the problems

Calor don't refund you right? So you pay Calor the money that is paid to you by the customer, and they keep it?

You do pay them do you?

As explained above in post #5, the cylinder short comes out of my 20 float, and they then charge me for it.

This is how they take the charge off me. I cannot avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I've seen them on adverts for sale - maybe a fiver or tenner, depending on the size. You might get a few quid for them there.

As explained above in post #5, the cylinder short comes out of my 20 float, and they then charge me for it.

This is how they take the charge off me. I cannot avoid it.

So you pay Calor.... and Calor keep the money. Ok. You don't get a % of it?

So you pay Calor.... and Calor keep the money. Ok. You don't get a % of it?

Don't think so. I fell into the trap of giving someone the cylinder charge back which I knew I had got, but then calor refused to refund me as it was over 3 months.

I got stuffed. Never again. They have it every way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

foggy_lad wrote: »

And then there would be widespread theft everywhere and people would be on boards complaining that their empty gas bottles are being stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭hawthorne

I think that there is a misunderstanding here due to a bad choice of expression by the suppliers.
    The word "deposit" actually means "service charge".
    Service charge is charged for the stocking/handling and selling of gas cylinders by the retailer. This charge was deliberately left without fixing by the states energy regulater to allow competition between retailers and therefore varies between the different retailers.
    One guy could charge you a tenner when you ask for your first bottle, another 20 euros and so on.Some even do not charge you at all in the hope to win a regular customer.
    You only get a new filled bottle without charge if you bring your old bottle. Otherwise you are charged again a service charge.
    The bottles stay all the time property of the gas company. Even if the bootle is standing in your back yard and connected to your gas cooker.
    So if you find a gas bottle in a vacant property or elsewhere- like the bog or in a road ditch:
    The gas company whose name is on the bottle still owns it and will not give you anything for it.
    The only benefit you can get out of such a find is that you do not have to pay the service charge when you come looking for a new filled gas bottle at your retailer when you bring the found empty for a change.
    You actually could have two filled gas bottles at home that way- one as a reserve in case the first one runs out in the middle of a meal preparation and all shops are closed....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Zombie thread - closed

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement