Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much should a Priest get for a Christening

Options
  • 10-10-2012 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

My sister is getting her daughter christened soon and she was wondering how much should the Priest get for doing it as she has herd that up to €200 could be expected is this true ? or would half be enough ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Hi there, we got a letter saying that there was a donation expected to the priest, and the sacristan, on the day of the christening:mad:
    I put 20 in an envelope for the priest, and 10 for the sacristan. I thought that was enough.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

What ever you can afford but 50 euro is fine:)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 KD3107

Our son is getting christened at the weekend and we will be giving the priest €20, only one of us working at the moment and with the way things are financially for a lot of families including ourselves, I think it is enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Hacuna Matata

They're the ones that should be paying us IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

We christened our little girl last month and gave €50. Asked the priest what was generally suggested and he just said whatever we could afford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭part time punk

Genuine questions ... Is this money for the priest themself? Is doing a baptism not just a normal part of a priests job? Or is this extra money for the church collection? Can't believe that they actually send you a letter looking for the money?

Got our daughters baptised (COI) about a month ago and didn't give the Reverand anything? Should we have? Think we might have put in a bit more than normal into the collection plate than normal, still probably only a tenner though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Can't believe that they actually send you a letter looking for the money?
    I don't think the OP said they got a letter asking for it?

I donated 50 for our priest. I didn't ask what they do with it. It's not expected, or asked for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

We were asked to give a donation to pay for flowers, lighting, choir etc. which I thought was fair enough.
    I put €20 in a 'Thank You' card as both myself & OH weren't working at the time but I think anything from €5 up is fine if finances are tight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

It completely depends on your own circumstances and wishes. I gave 50 for mine, but my sis in law (who's COI) gave 200 per child.

It's whatever you think yourself.

pwurple wrote: »
    Can't believe that they actually send you a letter looking for the money?
    I don't think the OP said they got a letter asking for it?

I donated 50 for our priest. I didn't ask what they do with it. It's not expected, or asked for.

It was another poster who said it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Little My

Our priest wouldn't take the money from us. He said to donate it to a charity of our choice if we really wanted to make a donation.

It's a donation to the church, the priest is already getting paid for his time so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

You can get them on Nixers.ie from a fiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Donadea Leo

Also had the experience of priest not accepting any money - he asked us to remember them when they are doing a parish collection but didn't want any money for the christening.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

You can get them on Nixers.ie from a fiver.

Please do not post unhelpful useless posts here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭doubletrouble?

we paid €30 for the twins, mind you there were 3 other families getting their babies christened and it was all over within 30 mins. best to ask around locally to see what other parents have paid the same priest, parishes tend to be different when it comes to these payments ( donations ;))
    forgot to add, nowadays parents have to do a pre-christening course, it might be also handy to ask at one of these.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

we paid €30 for the twins, mind you there were 3 other families getting their babies christened and it was all over within 30 mins. best to ask around locally to see what other parents have paid the same priest, parishes tend to be different when it comes to these payments ( donations ;))
    forgot to add, nowadays parents have to do a pre-christening course, it might be also handy to ask at one of these.

doubletrouble, whats the pre-christinging course? Is there any publications online I wonder that outline whats involved in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,532 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Nothing, he's doing his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

When you book in my local church they give you a leaflet stating that a donation of 50e needs to be paid for priest. And also that the sacristan opens the church for you and helps the priest out so donations for him are greatly appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

I find it so hard to believe that people are happy with handing over money to priests these days. I just don't understand how anyone can be ok with giving money to an organisation with such a long history of child abuse. Some of the money you are "donating" will be going towards paying legal costs for priests who have sexually abused young boys and girls, are you happy about your money being spent in this way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

We are giving or planning to give €100 to the priest. but in fairness to him had said whatever donation I think,

• Advertisement

Hobbitfeet wrote: »
    I find it so hard to believe that people are happy with handing over money to priests these days. I just don't understand how anyone can be ok with giving money to an organisation with such a long history of child abuse. Some of the money you are "donating" will be going towards paying legal costs for priests who have sexually abused young boys and girls, are you happy about your money being spent in this way

I paid the money because I'm a Roman catholic and want my sons to be brought up with my religion. That decision is no one else's business but mine and my husbands. In order for that to happen a baptismal service is carried out and that service has to be paid for.

I would be angry if a set fee had been set out, but for us it was left to our discretion and both ceremonies really were so perfect that no, I didn't mind handing over the money.

what happened to those children you talk about is a disgrace, but I wanted a service so I paid for it. Simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭doubletrouble?

Neyite wrote: »
    doubletrouble, whats the pre-christinging course? Is there any publications online I wonder that outline whats involved in it?
    most parishes request this. something like a pre-marriage course. in our case a lady associated with the local parish came around and explained to us whats involved , gave us a booklet on the proceedings and why you want your child christened.it only took about 30 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

its a service not a course, the faith friends as they are called call to give you advice on the day and what to expect to happen on the day of the christening, its only bigger parishs that offer the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Quagmire77

Our daughter was christened a few months back and priest advised €20 was more than enough and only if we could afford it.

Advertisement