Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever had an electric shock?

• 10-10-2012 12:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 658 ✭✭✭The Jammy dodger

I remember today that years ago when I was renting out a house. The pipes burst and the whole place was covered in water. Not thinking the landlord told me to switch off a light that was obviously flickering and I did almost instantly as everyone was in a rush and ZAP. I felt my chest tighten (and stomach up ) and thought I was going to die there and then. Truly a frightening experience that I never want to go through again.

What about you? any stories?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

yeah of course sure how else would we have tested the fence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Yeah, a few times. Never learn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

You lived to tell the tale?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 658 ✭✭✭The Jammy dodger

Yeah, a few times. Never learn.

Did you have that tightening of the chest I had? or no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Shocking thread.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

You lived to tell the tale?

Is that a serious question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

what young lad hasnt when they were a child? i often was when i was young

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Did an apprenticeship few years ago, and when your told don't touch that, my advise, DON'T... 3 hours in hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭keithb93

My sister pushed me and I fell back and electrocuted my ass off the plug socket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Was checking that a plug on a TV was properly plugged in but never knew that the lead was frayed and wires exposed.

One minute I was watching Litttle House on Prairie, the next I remember I was lying in the middle of the room twitching on the floor with my tounge bleeding from biting it and a trousers full of píss. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Got a bit of a bang from an alternator about ten mins ago. Fukn arm is killing me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭johndoe99

was installing an outside light a few years back, had the electricity off, my nephew came up to the house and saw the main switch was off, thinking it had been tripped he turned it back on. The shock lifted me off the ladder onto the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Yes.

Intriguing.
    Tell us more.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Electrocution would imply your heart has been stopped. You suffered a shock ya poor fecker :rolleyes: Worked in the Electrical business and received my fair share of shocks. No big deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

I've had a few nasty shocks but I've never been killed by it...
    Back in primary school we had those light switches that are boxes stuck on the wall with a pipe for the wires coming out the top ... in one of them had a hole in the buttom.
    Stuck my finger in... Ouch, wasn't as bad as the time I stuck a tweezers into a socket. And I'd licked a lot of 9 volt batteries so I knew what electric felt like. Was bad shock but I'd had worse before and after that... wouldn't want to get really bad one.

Itzy wrote: »
    Electrocution would imply your heart has been stopped. You suffered a shock ya poor fecker :rolleyes: Worked in the Electrical business and received my fair share of shocks. No big deal.

Ah I see ok.

Do peoples bodies then react differently to certain shocks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

I got a shocked once or twice by trying to force in a twisted plug into a wall socket my wrapping my finger around the front. silly I know :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

Sister mentioned that the heat from her hob was melting things in the press underneath. I figured this couldn't be right so in my effort to remove the hob I put my under behind to push.

My initial reaction was I thought I had been bitten by a snake, but then realised I got a rap from the mains. A-hole sparks left the cover plate off the when installed. NIce little surprise for me.:mad:

Karma maybe :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Been shocked a ridiculous amount of times
    Workin as a mechanic had its electrifying moments
    And plenty of times out hunting and stepping over electric fences and hittin off it so yeah my balls and inside of my thigh have been shocked
    Ain't good

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Have you ever been electrocuted?

yes i licked a double A battery, who hasn't? :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I got a shock off an electric fence once.. felt like I got a kick in the elbow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

If you've been electrocuted then you're dead surely?

I've gotten shocks before but thankfully never electrocuted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

I got a bad shock last year.

A bulb had blown in my cooker hood and the glass had shattered but the base of bulb was firmly screwed into the socket. I grabbed a pair of metal tweezers (I know, I know), made sure to switch the cooker off at the wall, and tried to get it out. I got thrown halfway across my kitchen. I had the chest tightning etc and also a very odd sensation in my thumb for months afterwards.

Did you notice that I switched the cooker off at the wall first? The switch for the cooker hood was up near the ceiling, unknown to me.

I've never felt so stupid in my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

xzanti wrote: »
    I got a shock off an electric fence once.. felt like I got a kick in the elbow.

I always got a funny buzz from those.

Was my question serious, if he was electrocuted he would be dead, he got a shock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Crossed two phases in a three phase buzz bar switch and melted a screwdriver blade in the process, scared the crap out of me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

I had some pheasant chicks under a red light a few years ago. The plug was on the light was one of the old 2 prong round plugs, and so was the extension lead for it.
    I was out looking at the chicks, took the wire from the top of the box and put it down. Didn't realise I left it on the extension lead, and the wire had went into one of the terminals.
    Horrible feeling. Was thrown back a few feet and had a thumping pain in my elbow was ages after it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭optimistic_

mud wrote: »
    If you've been electrocuted then you're dead surely?

I've gotten shocks before but thankfully never electrocuted.

Is this the guy who went mental the last time someone askedthis? I’m not @rsed searching but there was someone going absolutely apesh*tmental over people misusing “electrocuted” in place of “shocked”.

It was a lot of fun. Crazy homeless person singing into abin kind of fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

Dean09 wrote: »
    Got a bit of a bang from an alternator about ten mins ago. Fukn arm is killing me!

Quick get inside and onto AH! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

Had to hold a megger (10kv insulation tester) when i was serving my time.. all the auld sparks thought it was great craic altogether, till the father told me the harder you hold it, the less you feel it until you dont feel it at all..

Bit of a hero after that.

Another time, we (15yr old cousins) were walking back from Kyldasert to Ballynacally and mouldy as we were, thought it's be good to push eachother into the nettles.. I landed in the big mess of nettles and thorn with an electric fence thrown in for good measure!

Took a while to get out of that one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Slurryface

I remember today that years ago when I was renting out a house. The pipes burst and the whole place was covered in water. Not thinking the landlord told me to switch off a light that was obviously flickering and I did almost instantly as everyone was in a rush and ZAP. I felt my chest tighten (and stomach up ) and thought I was going to die there and then. Truly a frightening experience that I never want to go through again.

What about you? any stories?
    Idiot post, if a person had been electrocuted they would be dead!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrocution

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

FatherLen wrote: »
    yeah of course sure how else would we have tested the fence?

Using a blade of grass gives you much less of a shock but tells you if the fence is electrified or not. We spent many hours seeing who could withstand the most grass shocks.

Red Pepper wrote: »
    Using a blade of grass gives you much less of a shock but tells you if the fence is electrified or not. We spent many hours seeing who could withstand the most grass shocks.

Yeah done that before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

This thread is gonna be 50% funny/stupid electric shock stories and 50% "if you were electrocuted you'd be dead" posts.

The Jammy Dodger, you should claim to be a ghost come to warn us all of the dangers of electricity from beyond the grave.

A few times on electric fences. Also managed to get a wallop off a camera flash circuit (by far the worst I had). On one other occasion I was disassembling a PC with an exposed PSU inside, that wasn't nice either.

• Advertisement

This thread is gonna be 50% funny/stupid electric shock stories and 50% "if you were electrocuted you'd be dead" posts.

The Jammy Dodger, you should claim to be a ghost come to warn us all of the dangers of electricity from beyond the grave.

I am!!! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Dean09 wrote: »
    Intriguing.
    Tell us more.

I've said too much already. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

worked as a electrician (still do sometimes ;)) so got shocks a good few times ,usally when cutting corners and connecting something live

maxfresh wrote: »
    worked as a electrician (still do sometimes ;)) so got shocks a good few times ,usally when cutting corners and connecting something live

Interesting. What kind of a shock does it take to kill a person?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Was helping the putative mother in law rewire some cables out in her field.

Bat told me the power was off.

BZZZZZ - hey presto einstein hair.

Not pleasant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Got a belt off a clock radio as a chizler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Working as a sparks Ive had loads! Worst was when I was connecting a socket in a pub kitchen. I had turned the MCB off and started connecting it when suddenly, what felt like bolts of lightning, shot through my arms... Blackedout for a split second came to with a chippy shouting at me and asking if I was ok

The other sparks in all his wisdom decided to knock on the MCB to boil the kettle :mad: I happened to be touching the brown while leaning on a stainless steel counter... Shock of my life!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

All depends on voltage, load and how long you get a shock for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

I'm an electrician, in the last 11 years i've probably only had 4 shocks, no serious ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭squrm

kiffer wrote: »
    I've had a few nasty shocks but I've never been killed by it...
    Back in primary school we had those light switches that are boxes stuck on the wall with a pipe for the wires coming out the top ... in one of them had a hole in the buttom.
    Stuck my finger in... Ouch, wasn't as bad as the time I stuck a tweezers into a socket. And I'd licked a lot of 9 volt batteries so I knew what electric felt like. Was bad shock but I'd had worse before and after that... wouldn't want to get really bad one.

...... really?!

So whats it like to have to wear a helmet as part of everyday attire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

Voltage isn't the real danger, it's the current that causes the most damage. 50mA for a sustained time is enough to kill some people, where as you could get hit with 20000 volts and survive (with burns)

• Site Banned Posts: 4 Paddy on the Road

Itzy wrote: »

Is this true yeah? I remember when I was a kid I got up early one morning to have a sneaky before school go on the oul super nintendo and while plugging it in, without realising, I was touching one of the pins on the plug. Jesus the shock flew up my arm and into my chest.

But this happened in Africa, and I was always told if it happened here in Ireland I would have been killed because of the higher voltage difference or whatever!? Lies?

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭17larsson

IPAM wrote: »
    Working as a sparks Ive had loads! Worst was when I was connecting a socket in a pub kitchen. I had turned the MCB off and started connecting it when suddenly, what felt like bolts of lightning, shot through my arms... Blackedout for a split second came to with a chippy shouting at me and asking if I was ok

The other sparks in all his wisdom decided to knock on the MCB to boil the kettle :mad: I happened to be touching the brown while leaning on a stainless steel counter... Shock of my life!!

Nasty.

I was changing the red blinking bulb at the end of the jib on a crane a few years ago and I got a shock off it. Not too bad though but it amused me looking at the length of the path it had to travel to get back to earth

Another time, similar to your story, I was working on a three phase isolator in an underground carpark and had the main switch off, taped up and all three fuses out and some complete tool wanted power for something so ripped off the tape and stuck the fuses back in. I realised the power was back on so didn't get a shock but I carry the fuses in my pocket now if I'm ever doing anything similar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Used to live in a one-bed apartment. Burst pipe in the apartment above caused water to leak into mine, so I contacted landlord, people upstairs etc. There was one of those perspex bowls around the pendant bathroom light which was full of water. Took it off, took out the bulb. Started cleaning the socket.

Didn't realise that the lightswitch had actually been on but the bulb went off. While standing on a chair, I ended up sticking my finger into the socket (wrapped in tissue paper to dry to socket) and got a good shock from it. Managed to grab the back of the chair to prevent falling off it. Arm felt weird for a few hours after that, but I was lucky enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

Penn wrote: »
    Used to live in a one-bed apartment. Burst pipe in the apartment above caused water to leak into mine, so I contacted landlord, people upstairs etc. There was one of those perspex bowls around the pendant bathroom light which was full of water. Took it off, took out the bulb. Started cleaning the socket.

Didn't realise that the lightswitch had actually been on but the bulb went off. While standing on a chair, I ended up sticking my finger into the socket (wrapped in tissue paper to dry to socket) and got a good shock from it. Managed to grab the back of the chair to prevent falling off it. Arm felt weird for a few hours after that, but I was lucky enough.
    Even with the switch off, never trust a fitting.

• Advertisement
Advertisement