Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever had an electric shock?

13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

Does it matter which arm you put in your pocket?

Actually, that's an interesting question. The resistances each current would be going through would be:

Arm + ( (Arm + foot) || ((foot || foot) + torso) )

foot || (arm + torso + (foot || foot))

I don't think there's an easy answer to your question, maybe someone can come up with a good argument either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Actually, that's an interesting question. The resistances each current would be going through would be:

Arm + ( (Arm + foot) || ((foot || foot) + torso) )

foot || (arm + torso + (foot || foot))

I don't think there's an easy answer to your question, maybe someone can come up with a good argument either way.

The reality is, very little current will flow through the shoe to the ground if the conditions are dry. When dry, no shock or current will be perceived from 230v.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I was electrocuted once. I work with electronics every day and have for 15 years. The only time I was electrocuted was changing a lightbulb at home. I was standing on a chair and put my left hand around the light socket so I could put the bulb in with my right hand. There was a lose wire sticking out of the socket. And it was a light on the stairs with two switches, one at the bottom, one at the top. I'd thought it was switched off. It wasn't off. I was thrown off the chair.

Worst feeling was known I'd just been electrocuted changing a bulb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭csi vegas

In the 80's, I was on the mitch from school and hid like a mouse under the bed until I felt brave enough to emerge and approach my mother, who was downstairs all morning.

In the interim I got really bored of waiting for the confidence to come,
    so I crept over to plug in my b&w tv, which had a round-pin plug at the time.
    I knew plugging it in made a lot of noise usually, so I wrapped my mitching little fingers round the plug, almost touching the pins :eek: as I went, so as not to arouse suspicion.

In went the plug to the socket, slowly, slowly, then BAM!
    The currents hit me, travelled from my hand to my shoulder, up as far as my neck and I froze there, electrocuting, hand around plug, still halfways rooted to socket before my skiiving little brain engaged on time and screamed "EJECT!"

This was of course a silent scream as I was still too cute to make it known that I was home, electrocuted or otherwise.

And for any smartass who challenges me with
    "why did you attempt to watch tv whilst on the mitch?"
    HEADPHONES, my little friends, headphones :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Yes, now balloons stick to me and clocks stop when i come in the room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,553 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Was putting one of those ultrasonic rodent annoying devices in the attic. It looks like a speaker. I put the jack that goes into the back of it, which was a normal 3.5mm jack, into my mouth to hold it.

It wasn't for audio though, it was plugged into the mains. Did it out of habit as I often do when plugging earphones or speakers into the back of something and need both hands free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Putting 3 amp fuse into 13 amp plug ( or vice versa ) after forgetting to switch socket 'off ' has in the main ...been my downfall but that was when I was much younger :pac:

Advertisement