Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greystones to Sandymount??

Options
  • 10-10-2012 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭

:D

Hi Guys,

Im looking at starting to commute from Greystones to Sandymount each morning... have to be in Sandymount for 6.50am....

What is the travel time from Greystones to Sandymount in the morning?
    what time you would recommned I leave?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭vectrahed

N11 = 27.3km will take 31 mins by car

M50 = 28.1 will take 30 mins by car

4 + hours if your walking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

vectrahed wrote: »
    N11 = 27.3km will take 31 mins by car

4 + hours if your walking :)

Thanks... sorry yes i will be driving :)

do you travel this route? just want to make sure traffic isnt too heavy at this time in the morning?

Cheers

Not now i dont, i have used the M50 many times as i worked night which took me from clondalkin to carrickmines, finnishing work at 6am, so you should just beat the heavy traffic if your to be there for 6.50am

the other route would be a hit and miss but again you should just beat the heavy traffic

best to give it a trial run and see how it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

N11, Deansgrange, Blackrock bypass. You'll have absolutely no problem doing it in 30 minutes if you have to be there for 6.50am.

cheers guys ... appreciate it ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Surely the DART is a no brainer here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

DD9090 wrote: »

Depending where in Sandymount you need to be at 6.50 might not be enough time. First dart gets in at 6.41 I think.

That's tight alright and DART's are rarely on time these days also.

To be honest I never take the DART, I find its far too slow... takes 45 mins to do 19 miles in the morning.... and in the eveings after 7pm, very few DART's back to Greystones.

Vuzuggu wrote: »
    Depending where in Sandymount you need to be at 6.50 might not be enough time. First dart gets in at 6.41 I think.

I need to be at the Martello tower area at 6.50am..

well im going to attempt it tomorrow morning so ill let you know, im going to aim to leave at 6.15am.... fingers crossed :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

There is very often a Garda speed trap outside Blackrock College at that time in the morning so watch your speed along there, its 60kph and very easy to drift over that when the road is clear.

cocker5 wrote: »
    .... and in the eveings after 7pm, very few DART's back to Greystones.

Just a quick note on this.

Every second DART from Dublin is a Greystones DART. They are every 30 minutes from first to last DART. There is no frequency change on weekdays, only weekends.

There is very often a Garda speed trap outside Blackrock College at that time in the morning so watch your speed along there, its 60kph and very easy to drift over that when the road is clear.

cheers for the tip... appreciate it :D

Just a quick note on this.

Every second DART from Dublin is a Greystones DART. They are every 30 minutes from first to last DART. There is no frequency change on weekdays, only weekends.

my luck i miss the greystones dart, then have to hang around for 1/2 an hour until the next one.. the 45 mins on the DART home.... massive waste of time....then most nights its stops in Bray starion for ages.... its a nightmare....I rather not if im honest :o

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

Re the dart. If you need to be in Dublin early or you're coming out of Dublin late, ie post 19.00 and pre 7am as that's when the bus lanes open then you are far far better driving.
    For coming home its the time walking to dart, time waiting on platform for dart, time dart takes (and yes it is slow), time walking to park and ride really does add up.
    The big snag for many is parking in Dublin. If you have park you're laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭darter

cocker5 wrote: »
    my luck i miss the greystones dart, then have to hang around for 1/2 an hour until the next one.. the 45 mins on the DART home.... massive waste of time....then most nights its stops in Bray starion for ages.... its a nightmare....I rather not if im honest :o

I consider driving a waste of time, in that you can do nothing else with your time but drive. Whilst sat on the DART, you can read, listen to music, watch the beautiful sunrise over the water in the mornings, work if you want, email, social media, etc. (I take my laptop and a mobile stick). Or just close your eyes and relax and have down time - we're all far too busy and we need to mentally relax more. DART time can be productive time, whereas driving never is.

And driving can be, and usually is, very stressful. Not at all good for you. The few minutes you gain by driving are overwhelmed by the disadvantages.

And the DART is cheaper than petrol, maintenance and depreciation of running a car.

Yes, sometimes there are frustrations - I get really annoyed when they don't even leave Greystones on time. No excuse for the appalling lack of work ethic by some Iarnród Éireann employees. Nor for the appalling lack of investment in railways during the spending madness of the Celtic Tiger years. (Just imagine if the money that went on the "harbour and marina" had been spent on building a fast train line into town from Wicklow or even further south. It would have opened up a lot of Ireland to commuters.) But, we have what we have, and it's better than not having it.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

Slightly off topic. Actually completely. Darter, which mobile operator do you use on the dart for your data download. I have O2 and the reception along the dart line is very poor. I know there are some tunnels but on many other parts it is terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

M50 to Sandymount?

an update for you guys...

I left the house in greystones at 6.15am....

hit N11 (delgany end) at 6.20am arrived at Sandymount at 6.42am (albeit not exactly doing the speed limit:o).....

drovw up N11 to Donneybrook church... along Ailesbury road.... no traffic

result :D

• Advertisement

Happy days :)

darter wrote: »
    I consider driving a waste of time, in that you can do nothing else with your time but drive. Whilst sat on the DART, you can read, listen to music, watch the beautiful sunrise over the water in the mornings, work if you want, email, social media, etc. (I take my laptop and a mobile stick). Or just close your eyes and relax and have down time - we're all far too busy and we need to mentally relax more. DART time can be productive time, whereas driving never is.

And driving can be, and usually is, very stressful. Not at all good for you. The few minutes you gain by driving are overwhelmed by the disadvantages.

And the DART is cheaper than petrol, maintenance and depreciation of running a car.

Yes, sometimes there are frustrations - I get really annoyed when they don't even leave Greystones on time. No excuse for the appalling lack of work ethic by some Iarnród Éireann employees. Nor for the appalling lack of investment in railways during the spending madness of the Celtic Tiger years. (Just imagine if the money that went on the "harbour and marina" had been spent on building a fast train line into town from Wicklow or even further south. It would have opened up a lot of Ireland to commuters.) But, we have what we have, and it's better than not having it.

While i agree with some of your points, for me the DART is far too slow and annoying (some school kids being loud and disruptive most mornings), squashed, it smells at times etc... so for me the cons far out weigh the pros ..

To each his own ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

You could try cycling. No costs at all. No Traffic jams, no school kids, no uncomfortable seats, no unsavouries, no time delays, plus you're getting a great workout. And you can still have your music or radio. That's a good cycle though.

dr ro wrote: »
    You could try cycling. No costs at all. No Traffic jams, no school kids, no uncomfortable seats, no unsavouries, no time delays, plus you're getting a great workout. And you can still have your music or radio. That's a good cycle though.

Have to say I would love to cycle it, my two issues are :

1. Im def not fit enough yet....
    2. Some nights i dont get finished work until after 8pm... so i'd be wrecked cycling home after that...

maybe in a few months if my fitness improves :pac:

I wish

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

darter wrote: »

What's really scary darter is that most of what you describe you do on the DART I see on a daily basis with commuters in their cars

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

yes, technically you could use this route but I would be surprised if anyone did. The advantages of using the m50 to sandyford would be outweighed by the slowness of the route from sandyford vs the n11

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭darter

FirstIn wrote: »
    Slightly off topic. Actually completely. Darter, which mobile operator do you use on the dart for your data download. I have O2 and the reception along the dart line is very poor. I know there are some tunnels but on many other parts it is terrible.

vodafone. Usually good, but there is a dead spot between Killiney and Dalkey. Mostly 3G, but sometimes drops to slower service.

Good to hear that O2 is worse, as I was thinking of changing due to the drops.

Advertisement