Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Icloud or dropbox

• 10-10-2012 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭

Guys

Someone might be able to help me , im looking at buying cloud space, ive a macbook, ipad and iphone 4s just wondering from people using them out there which do you think is better when buying one, icloud or dropbox

Be handy yo have the info before i buy

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Aren't they both free upto a pre-defined storage limit? Try them both see which you prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Dan82

Graham wrote: »
    Aren't they both free upto a pre-defined storage limit? Try them both see which you prefer.

I know they are but it isnt a huge limit and i dont have the time to try both moving stuff around so i said id ask someone that could advise that has used them in past

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

2 totally different products. You need to do some research on iCloud, as it's. It storage space per se.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I use both, iCloud for all the Automatic stuff, dropbox for larger files.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Kurn

Dan82 wrote: »
    I know they are but it isnt a huge limit and i dont have the time to try both moving stuff around so i said id ask someone that could advise that has used them in past

I'd consider these two different products, in that you can dump any file you like on Dropbox for easy access on another PC/mac, but you can't on iCloud.

Am I wrong here? so if you need to do that iCould wont help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Dropbox would allow you to share items with other people and non apple devices.

What are you looking to use it for mainly?
    If its just backing up apple devices then icloud might be the easiest most integrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

I use both but if I was paying for one, I'd go for Dropbox. It's easier to organise your stuff into folders. You only get 2gbs free space but over the weekend I bought 18gb extra space from some Asian supplier on Ebay for around €2.50. Between that and a few other free GBs I earned from Dropbox over the years I now have 25GB of space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Totally different products - iCloud is used for storing iOS backups (including your camera roll by default).

Dropbox is used for anything.
    I use both - phone backups (including photos) go to iCloud.

You can also hook your dropbox app with your camera roll - and all photos get backed up to dropbox also.
    You also earn 3gb free extra storage space on dropbox allowing the Dropbox app to backup your camera roll.

When you run low on iCloud storage - delete old photos and videos from your iphone. You can still access these old photos through the Dropbox app.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

jakdublin wrote: »
    I use both but if I was paying for one, I'd go for Dropbox. It's easier to organise your stuff into folders. You only get 2gbs free space but over the weekend I bought 18gb extra space from some Asian supplier on Ebay for around €2.50. Between that and a few other free GBs I earned from Dropbox over the years I now have 25GB of space.
    Asian supplier?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

Asian supplier?!

Well, supplier from Asia then. Not sure where can you can buy Asians these days. Parnell Street maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

jakdublin wrote: »
    Well, supplier from Asia then. Not sure where can you can buy Asians these days. Parnell Street maybe.
    Is it legit? Will Dropbox not just spot it and remove it?

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Dan82

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Totally different products - iCloud is used for storing iOS backups (including your camera roll by default).

Dropbox is used for anything.
    I use both - phone backups (including photos) go to iCloud.

You can also hook your dropbox app with your camera roll - and all photos get backed up to dropbox also.
    You also earn 3gb free extra storage space on dropbox allowing the Dropbox app to backup your camera roll.

When you run low on iCloud storage - delete old photos and videos from your iphone. You can still access these old photos through the Dropbox app.

Sorry Mate but icloud is not just used for back ups, you can use it for spread sheets, docs, presentation and alot more, it just means you can only use between apple products.

It will do pics, music, apps, and back ups but far more to icloud than just that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Is it legit? Will Dropbox not just spot it and remove it?

I bought 18gb Dropbox space for $5. That was a few months ago and all is good.
    He uses your referral link and gets lots of accounts to use your referral .
    If u have 2 accounts its $5 and this gets you an extra 18gb on each account.
    Not sure if I can link to it here

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Gergirl

Keith,
    Can I ask you a question please?
    I have iCloud and all my photos from my iPhone are up there now-can I delete them off my phone or do I need to use something like Dropbox.
    I'm confused about the sync and am worried that if I take the pics off my phone they will also come off iCloud.
    Thanks for your help,

GerGirl,

If you delete the photos from your phone, they will also go from iCloud. Within iCloud there is photostream - it keeps your last 100 photos (not sure of exact number), but they will disappear from there eventually. For that reason you need to back up somewhere else (harddrive or something like Dropbox). I

I find Dropbox the handiest. If you have installed on a PC - every time you plug your phone into USB - it will automatically back up any new photos.

Keith

Dan82 wrote: »
    Sorry Mate but icloud is not just used for back ups, you can use it for spread sheets, docs, presentation and alot more, it just means you can only use between apple products.

It will do pics, music, apps, and back ups but far more to icloud than just that

True Dan - I guess the point I was getting at is that you can't just store anything in iCloud - in that way it's very different to something like Dropbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Gergirl

keith_d99 wrote: »

True Dan - I guess the point I was getting at is that you can't just store anything in iCloud - in that way it's very different to something like Dropbox.
    Thanks do much Dan and Keith-the fundamental flaw in my plan is plain to see.....

Advertisement