Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-Signings

Options
  • 10-10-2012 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,786 ✭✭✭✭

Quick question Lads. I've just tied Rice and Reed up to new deals. Now Flacco is looking to discuss terms. Am I able to franchise tag him at the end of the season or do i have to offer a new contract to keep hold of him?

I have offered a contract I can afford but which I doubt will be accepted. Basically, am I screwed? :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭etloveslsd

Put it this way, who is your back up? I look forward to playing him twice a year!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Berty44

If he accepts it well and good. If not then you will have a opportunity to franchise tag one player at the end of the season and it can be him. It will tell you how much the franchise tag will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,786 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

etloveslsd wrote: »
    Put it this way, who is your back up? I look forward to playing him twice a year!!

Step forward Tyrod Taylor :pac:

Berty44 wrote: »
    If he accepts it well and good. If not then you will have a opportunity to franchise tag one player at the end of the season and it can be him. It will tell you how much the franchise tag will be.

I don't quite understand the franchise tag, is it basically a one year contract? Does it affect the salary cap?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Berty44

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Step forward Tyrod Taylor :pac:
    I don't quite understand the franchise tag, is it basically a one year contract? Does it affect the salary cap?

Yes and Yes ( whatever salary you pay him for the year goes against the cap for that year. Its average salary of top 5 players in the position so usually loads of dosh )

It is the average of the top 5 salarys of that position for a single year. So for QB you will be looking at approx 10-13 million for a year

• Advertisement

Cheers lads! Hope Joe doesn't mind a pay cut :( may have to trim the squad and lower the wage bill.

Cheers lads! Hope Joe doesn't mind a pay cut :( may have to trim the squad and lower the wage bill.

The only thing with contract offers in this game, if he doesn't like the contract you offered, he can stop negotiations and will opt for free agency.

The only thing with contract offers in this game, if he doesn't like the contract you offered, he can stop negotiations and will opt for free agency.

Yeah I think this is the direction its going tbh :P Oh well, my own fault!

If he hits free agency, you can still bid on him, so all hope is not gone.

Enough help for the rivals!! Imagine him and Big Ben in a double QB set!! oh yeah!

If he hits free agency, you can still bid on him, so all hope is not gone

True, but if I didn't have the cap space to re sign him I probably won't have enough to sing him. Sure we're a running team anyway :P sure it might all work out

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

i think you should tag him if you can't get him resigned, that will give you another season to get him to sign a long term deal.

If Ray Lewis retires you should be OK for cap space. Talk to Santry he has the ravens on another CC franchise so is familiar with the cap situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭davetherave

When do they decide whether to accept or tell you to go bugger yourself? Week advancement? Mr welker is deciding how much money I need to throw at him.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Yeah, they'll respond the following week, either asking you to up your offer, to say the've accepted your offer or to tell you they'll be hitting FA.

When do they decide whether to accept or tell you to go bugger yourself? Week advancement? Mr welker is deciding how much money I need to throw at him.

It sometimes appears in the twitter feeds before advancement, you know those ace reporters gettin the inside scoop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Pudsy,

I signed all three big players on close to the deals they wanted and was still under cap. Ray Rice had 4 years still on his contract so you could have just ignored him!

SantryRed wrote: »
    Pudsy,

I signed all three big players on close to the deals they wanted and was still under cap. Ray Rice had 4 years still on his contract so you could have just ignored him!

I didn't realise that! Thanks for the heads up

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

It's safe to say there'll probably be a few decent Chargers up in FA next season as I haven't got a ****ing clue what I was doing when trying to do my contract negotiations :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Does it make a difference now that players are asking to negotiate contracts?
    Will it make a difference if I just ignore them and leave it for a few weeks?
    Also is it important to sign up contracts early as I see some ppl seem to be doing here?

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    Does it make a difference now that players are asking to negotiate contracts?
    Will it make a difference if I just ignore them and leave it for a few weeks?
    Also is it important to sign up contracts early as I see some ppl seem to be doing here?

It depends, if you leave it til postseason you will only have one chance to offer the contract, they will either accept it or opt for free agency. If you do it now they can negotiate.

Another reason for holding off is you can only negotiate with player coming to the end of a multi year deal. Guys on a one year deal can only be offered a contract in the post season. Player were were franchise tagged in real life fall into this category, so Mike Wallace in my case.

So say you have a squad player coming to the end of a rookie contract and you sign him up, that deal might take up the cap space needed to sign that free agent you picked up that is having a cracking season.

Decisions decisions, the joys of being a GM as well as being a head coach.

Hope this makes sense, and helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Josh Cribbs rejects the Browns!

So be it, Browns have 47 million in cap space, we'll replace ya

It'll be like Christmas shopping next FA period with all my money :)

• Advertisement

I see,I have a player coming to the end of multi year contract now,he wants a new 4 one so I was thinking of negotiating it to 3 years since thats all we're playing.
    I don't want to feck it up though as he's rated 89

I see,I have a player coming to the end of multi year contract now,he wants a new 4 one so I was thinking of negotiating it to 3 years since thats all we're playing.
    I don't want to feck it up though as he's rated 89

Offer him the 4 year deal, doesn't matter if we aren't playing that long.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

4 years would be better as if you reduce it to 3 years he may want to cram 4 years cash into 3. If 10 million a year on a 4 he might want 13 million a year for a 3 year deal so your cap is reduced

Ah I was completely reading the contract system wrong,longer is better not shorter

Ah I was completely reading the contract system wrong,longer is better not shorter

A players yearly salary goes up each year, so the last year is the most expensive.

So Flacco came back to the negotiating table, wanted 66 million over 6 years, so I offered the required 11 million per year salary. Though that was safe, but according to Matt Miller on the twitter feed it seems to have been rejected :mad: Hey Mickey, what would you like for Gabbert? :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Going by what the PFL guys say i think you get a chance to sign him again at the end of the year?

Berty or Ben will know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Going by what the PFL guys say i think you get a chance to sign him again at the end of the year?

Berty or Ben will know

Nope, not if he rejects them, then he is anybodies.

Pudsy, are you offering him a bonus?

Berty or Ben will know

If he decides to test FA, then I will be unable to offer him a new contract. I will have to franchise tag him.

• Advertisement

SantryRed wrote: »

Berty or Ben will know

Nope, not if he rejects them, then he is anybodies.

Pudsy, are you offering him a bonus?

I don't have the space to offer a bonus, not much of one anyway. I'll throw what I can his way if he let's me negotiate again. Realistically looks like he'll be getting the franchise tag. He can't reject that right?

Advertisement