Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting in Dublin

• 10-10-2012 1:17pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭

If or when I move back to Dublin, I'd like to rent a place to myself. Just looking at places on daft, the rents still haven't really come down from 4 years ago it seems! If you put the max at 600 euro, only absolute holes show up in awful parts of town. How is this so? Surely there are tonnes of vacant places in Dublin needing to be rented out? Are people just to stubborn to rent them out at a realistic price?

e.g. http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1224385

Are they having a f**king laugh?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    If or when I move back to Dublin, I'd like to rent a place to myself. Just looking at places on daft, the rents still haven't really come down from 4 years ago it seems! If you put the max at 600 euro, only absolute holes show up in awful parts of town. How is this so? Surely there are tonnes of vacant places in Dublin needing to be rented out? Are people just to stubborn to rent them out at a realistic price?

e.g. http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1224385

There is a shortage of supply in Dublin. I think at €600 you are looking at a houseshare rather than your own place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

There is a shortage of supply in Dublin. I think at €600 you are looking at a houseshare rather than your own place.

So why are places so cheap to buy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

So why are places so cheap to buy?

Lots of people trying to sell, so prices to buy have come down.

If only these people would all rent aswell, then prices would drop for renting. They wont though as its more awkward to sell a house with people living in it.

Korvanica wrote: »
    Lots of people trying to sell, so prices to buy have come down.

If only these people would all rent aswell, then prices would drop for renting. They wont though as its more awkward to sell a house with people living in it.

So there's a shortage of places available for rent? Is it because most of the vacant properties aren't on the rental market?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

It's still quite hard to find a decent place to live alone for a reasonable price.

But for 400-600 you should be able to find a decent two bed place to share with somebody else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

No, not at all. The unscrupous landlords who are taking the **ss are those trying to rent out bedsits like on this thread, for crazy prices. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056170773&page=114 . Rent levels for proper flats and good quality roomshares in Dublin city I think are pretty fair right now.

I had to rent out my place when I moved to London for work. Two double room flat close to the City centre. And there was absolutely loads of demand. Plus mortgage rates are going up and landlords are trying to cover that cost. I don't see that demand going anywhere.

The one of them in my flat sublets the other room, and €600 is not a million miles away from what she is getting.....and she told me that she was inundated with over 30 emails and phone calls in two days when she put it on daft a few months ago. She eventually showed round about 15 people before picking one.

Don't know why you think there are loads of vacant places in Dublin. Out in the new estates around the M50 maybe, but certainly not within striking distance of the city centre

It's all about location. Live somewhere nice, and you've got to pay for it. I don't think good locations will see any softness at all (and I don't think that is particularly wishful thinking)

So you've got to decide if you want a houseshare in a nice place, or your own place out of town / in a kip

steve9859 wrote: »
    So you've got to decide if you want a houseshare in a nice place, or your own place out of town / in a kip

I think one of the reasons I would live back in Dublin is because living alone is really nigh impossible on my salary here in London. I was hoping Dublin would be a lot cheaper but that doesn't seem to be the case at all ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

I think one of the reasons I would live back in Dublin is because living alone is really nigh impossible on my salary here in London. I was hoping Dublin would be a lot cheaper but that doesn't seem to be the case at all ffs.

Having just moved to London, and renting, I think on a 'like for like' basis, Dublin is a hell of a lot cheaper to rent.

If you compare equivalent properties in areas that are of an equivalent standing & quality relative to the city (ie. Ballsbridge = Kensington, Ranelagh = Battersea, Drumcondra = Brixton, IFSC = Docklands etc), Dublin is far cheaper every time.

I'm talking whole flat rentals here, of a decent quality. I do think that Irish landlords have a special talent in charging through the nose for bedsits!

steve9859 wrote: »
    Having just moved to London, and renting, I think on a 'like for like' basis, Dublin is a hell of a lot cheaper to rent.

If you compare equivalent properties in areas that are of an equivalent standing & quality relative to the city (ie. Ballsbridge = Kensington, Ranelagh = Battersea, Drumcondra = Brixton, IFSC = Docklands etc), Dublin is far cheaper every time.

I'm talking whole flat rentals here, of a decent quality. I do think that Irish landlords have a special talent in charging through the nose for bedsits!

for whole flats, I guess so. I'm in Brixton now. I think it was more a 1-bed apt i would want in Dublin, not a bedsit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭accensi0n

€800 is about the minimum for a nice enough 1 bed apartment in a nice area of Dublin in my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

The rental market has never been tied to property prices it's tied to Mortgage repayments. Most people renting out properties will have bought them in the boom - they're still paying big money so will you.

Why not look at buying - couldn't be a better bloody time! (well maybe a few months it will be)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The key here is supply and demand. Rents in rural and commuter towns have plummeted, precisely because there is an abundance of supply in the rental sector. The opposite is true in Dublin- there is a scarcity of supply- only limited construction occurred in the most desirable areas during the boom times. That said- if you're willing to broaden your search just a little- to encompass the likes of Islandbridge etc- you have large developments in your search criteria, still within walking distance of the city centre.

• Site Banned Posts: 4 Paddy on the Road

The rental market has never been tied to property prices it's tied to Mortgage repayments. Most people renting out properties will have bought them in the boom - they're still paying big money so will you.

Why not look at buying - couldn't be a better bloody time! (well maybe a few months it will be)

Careful now!

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/the-smart-ballsy-guys-are-buying-up-property-right-now-1047118.html

Advertisement