Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 weeks training schedule for sub 4 marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Krusty - thanks for the advice

Kurt - sorry for the hijack - best of luck over the next few weeks - will be following this with interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Met PN on a smashing bright, frosty, October morning, for a trot around the local woods. Once not so long ago we were the only ones running here, today there must have been 15 or more over a few short km.
    I've been walking downstairs sideways since the 19-miler. That's to be expected- my muscles start eating themselves once I ran out of glycogen after 15-16 miles, so there is damage to be maintained and managed, as I don't really have time to repair it. 5 easy miles helped a lot, I was stiff as a board starting off, but soon got into the swing of things. Walking up and down stairs two flights at a time now. I'm considering doing 10+ tomorrow, the idea being to get easy miles into the legs as there are micro-tears anyway. We'll see how things are tomorrow. If I do, it'll be flat, and on grass.

Date|Scheduled (miles)|Comment
    Wed 10th|18|19.2 ran, in about 3:10. Tough for the last two miles, no gels or water taken. Cool, damp, trail|
    Thurs 11th|Cross/Easy|1,250m swim. I was very achy and stiff getting up this morning, the swim has helped massively. Non-impact, flush the muscles.|
    Fri 12th|5 easy|Very stiff before, this run was a good leg loosener, feeling a lot better now.|
    Sat 13th|5 easy/Cross||
    Sun 14th|13 easy||
    Mon 15th|Cross||
    Tues 16th|8 steady||
    Wed 17th|6 steady||
    Thurs 18th|Cross||
    Fri 19th|18 lsr||
    Sat 20th|5 easy/Cross||
    Sun 21nd|6 easy||
    Mon 22nd|6 easy||
    Tues 23rd|13 steady/easy||
    Wed 24th|5 easy/Cross||
    Thurs 25th|8 steady||
    Fri 26th|5 easy/Cross||
    Sat 27th|Cross||
    Sun 28th|Cross||
    Mon 29th|Marathon||

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I just noticed this thread. My like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Oryx wrote: »
    I just noticed this thread. My like.
    +1
    Enjoying this one too, if we can arrange a live tracker on the day that would be great :), and maybe a Marty interview around 18 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

+1 on the Marty interview.

For once I will follow a jogger logger, usually fall asleep reading them.... 5 miles easy, 15 miles easy... yawn, yawn. :D

Can we just fast forward to the race report, though? Skip all the journey/transformation stuff and get straight to the pain, the doubt, the redemption and ultimate elation at crossing the line in 3:59:40.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Oooo...I smell the wiff of race sponsorship..... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

shels4ever wrote: »
    if we can arrange a live tracker on the day that would be great :)

I think if you download mapmyrun to an iPhone or Android phone you can set up live tracking ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Brilliant thread! Enjoy* the next couple of weeks - very interested to see how it all pans out :)

9 miles around the rugger pitches of Aughrim. The pace was speeding up all the time, and I would have gone on to do 13 but for training ending for Junior.

Met PN yesterday, met SJ today, if nothing else this bit of craziness is catching, its great to be out running in company again, albeit we're all crocks. There's a stage you realize the aging process applies to you, for me it was when I first had kids. A couple of days ago I saw Ultraman post that his "baby" had just turned 10, and I thought, wow, you're pushing on dude, until I thought about it and figured my own had turned 10 a few months back. So I have a few stages in my running career to look forward to before the golf club, or TRR's fishing blanket and thermos, applies. The first is the current stage, just happy to be able to run, at any pace. Goals are still there, but they (and the rulebook) are thrown aside in the pursuit of ache-free jogging. Its all about getting out there and hurting enough to mask the usual day-to-day hurts. The next stage is turning into one of those old guys madly slapping deep heat onto their legs, flecks of spittle and salt-encrusted foreheads wiped to hold the grey comb-over in place, ranting about the good old days and long-forgotten pb's... I'd say I have a couple of years left before I turn into one of them. Better start working on that long-term injury.:)

Wed 10th|18|19.2 ran, in about 3:10. Tough for the last two miles, no gels or water taken. Cool, damp, trail|
    Thurs 11th|Cross/Easy|1,250m swim. I was very achy and stiff getting up this morning, the swim has helped massively. Non-impact, flush the muscles.|
    Fri 12th|5 easy|Very stiff before, this run was a good leg loosener, feeling a lot better now.|
    Sat 13th|5 easy/Cross|9@ 8:18 pace, grass, felt good.|
    Sun 14th|13 easy||
    Mon 15th|Cross||
    Tues 16th|8 steady||
    Wed 17th|6 steady||
    Thurs 18th|Cross||
    Fri 19th|18 lsr||
    Sat 20th|5 easy/Cross||
    Sun 21nd|6 easy||
    Mon 22nd|6 easy||
    Wed 24th|5 easy/Cross||
    Thurs 25th|8 steady||
    Fri 26th|5 easy/Cross||
    Sat 27th|Cross||
    Sun 28th|Cross||
    Mon 29th|Marathon||

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

9 @ 8.18 good going. Maybe you should be targeting 3.45 :) just throwing it out there. Sure what's another 15 minutes :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

TRR wrote: »
    9 @ 8.18 good going. Maybe you should be targeting 3.45 :) just throwing it out there. Sure what's another 15 minutes :)

if dats training pace,u shud be ok for 3:30,its only another 15 mins on top of trr 15;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Boston qualification used to be 3:15. A good round number. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Oryx wrote: »
    I just noticed this thread.

KG one minute your ultra swimming next thing you pop up with a marathon goal.
    Next ...? Let me tempt you to an easy long race???

Abhainn wrote: »
    KG one minute your ultra swimming next thing you pop up with a marathon goal.
    Next ...? Let me tempt you to an easy long race???

Oh I'm sure I'll be ticking that box at some stage. Probably not next year, unless its a Hardman cheepo job. Maybe a HIM or Oly races in 2013, but we'll see how the cards fall.

12 miles easy, mainly on trail. I met a few lads at various stages of their own runs, so this was an LSR that ended up having 3x2miles sections that were at a decent clip. The rest was slow and easy.

That tightness has gone from my muscles, what I have to watch out for now are stress injuries from ramping up the milage too quickly. Knees and joints seem pretty good, but I noticed some soreness on the soles of my feet, which aren't so used to regular pounding. To exacerbate the situation, my minimal shoes let you feel every single sharp piece of gravel. I think the thing to do- boring as it may be- is to run as much as I can from here on in on grass.

Sun 14th|13 easy|12 easy, with 3 faster sections. Circa 1:55 |
    Mon 15th|Cross||
    Tues 16th|8 steady||
    Wed 17th|6 steady||
    Thurs 18th|Cross||
    Fri 19th|18 lsr||
    Sat 20th|5 easy/Cross||
    Sun 21nd|6 easy||
    Mon 22nd|6 easy||
    Wed 24th|5 easy/Cross||
    Thurs 25th|8 steady||
    Fri 26th|5 easy/Cross||
    Sat 27th|Cross||
    Sun 28th|Cross||
    Mon 29th|Marathon||

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Did twelve today as well. Nice weather for it :)

Easy recover run, didn't get a chance to do the preferable option of cross training.
    So far, so good. Joints aren't complaining, the only issue is a bit of soreness in my foot, and blisters between the toes. No real problem.

Mon 15th|Cross|3.5 easy|
    Tues 16th|8 steady||
    Wed 17th|6 steady||
    Thurs 18th|Cross||
    Fri 19th|18 lsr||
    Sat 20th|5 easy/Cross||
    Sun 21nd|6 easy||
    Mon 22nd|6 easy||
    Wed 24th|5 easy/Cross||
    Thurs 25th|8 steady||
    Fri 26th|5 easy/Cross||
    Sat 27th|Cross||
    Sun 28th|Cross||
    Mon 29th|Marathon||

One week into the program, boredom is setting in. And there are still ages to go till taper! No way am I suited to 18 week training cycles- I want my results now! So far so good though. The only issue so far appears to be soreness on my sole. Minimal shoes+gravel+high milage don't mix too well. I haven't been able to get as much grass work done as I'd like, will have to make a bigger effort. Today's run was steady effort, a few hills, with the second half finishing strongly.

Thats about 57 miles for the week, I haven't done too many that high even when peak marathon training:D

Mon 15th|Cross|3.5 easy|
    Tues 16th|8 steady|8@ 7:44 pace, finished strong.|
    Wed 17th|6 steady||
    Thurs 18th|Cross||
    Fri 19th|18 lsr||
    Sat 20th|5 easy/Cross||
    Sun 21nd|6 easy||
    Mon 22nd|6 easy||
    Wed 24th|5 easy/Cross||
    Thurs 25th|8 steady||
    Fri 26th|5 easy/Cross||
    Sat 27th|Cross||
    Sun 28th|Cross||
    Mon 29th|Marathon||

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I was wondering about your shoes just last night as I was running around the bales of hay in my field - wondering just how minimal your shoes are and if you'll be okay running 26.2 miles in them. I tried a little barefoot training on the treadmill last year (which I don't recommend at all!!! :o) and came to appreciate the need for cushion - at least MY need for cushion. You confident in your minimal shoes to get you around okay??

Nice work this past week - and nice pace today. Depending on your results on race day, you might be able to package this plan and sell it to those of us with immediate gratification issues and short attention spans!!! ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

What shoes are you wearing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Dory Dory wrote: »
    I was wondering about your shoes just last night as I was running around the bales of hay in my field - wondering just how minimal your shoes are and if you'll be okay running 26.2 miles in them. I tried a little barefoot training on the treadmill last year (which I don't recommend at all!!! :o) and came to appreciate the need for cushion - at least MY need for cushion. You confident in your minimal shoes to get you around okay??

+1 yeah what shoes are you wearing.

When does your taper start? October 28th ;)

I think running on the road may be way to go, not kind on the joints but if you're going to run 26 miles on it, definitely a good idea to do half of your remaining sessions on road maybe?

Dory Dory wrote: »

Nice work this past week - and nice pace today. Depending on your results on race day, you might be able to package this plan and sell it to those of us with immediate gratification issues and short attention spans!!! ;)

There's not a lot of cushioning in them- New Balance Minimus MT10. I've always been advised to go for chunky cushioned support shoes, as worn by elephants, but since I've worn these barefoot shoes, I can run again without excruciating knee pain. The current sore foot issue is caused from gravel and tree roots, but no harm in hardening them up. The feet will be sore on the day- there's plenty of concrete sections- but I'll take that if it means I can run.

TRR wrote: »
    +1 yeah what shoes are you wearing.

When does your taper start? October 28th ;)

I think running on the road may be way to go, not kind on the joints but if you're going to run 26 miles on it, definitely a good idea to do half of your remaining sessions on road maybe?

Taper starts with 6 days to go- still 33% of the program to go before I get there;). Nothing I can do to change fitness levels during those days. In fact I'm ditching that 8 mile steady for something a lot easier. I'll try and put in some fast effort on my T-7 13 miler, I think this opens the muscles and they will start hosting glucose in the days after.

I hear you on the road, I'll do my 20 miler in a couple of days on tarmac.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Changed the title to sub 4, in for a penny, in for a pound. I hear ya on less time on the feet, the issue will be what happens endurance wise after 20. Won't have the glucose stored on the muscles. I'd nearly be tempted to bank 10 mins at half for the expected slowdown. May as well set fire to the rulebook as well as ripping it:)

I see you are planning to positive split so you be joining the 3:45 bus for the first half?
    Or will you be using your elite entry to start right at the front and do a Declan Moffat on it? As you know it's always a good idea to get some time in the bank early in a marathon :D

menoscemo wrote: »
    I see you are planning to positive split so you be joining the 3:45 bus for the first half?
    Or will you be using your elite entry to start right at the front and do a Declan Moffat on it? As you know it's always a good idea to get some time in the bank early in a marathon :D

I've yet to decide. The options are to bank 10 mins at half, expect to slow from 20; or run the first half at a comfortable pace, and push on if feeling up to it. I'll probably go for the latter, its a much better feeling passing people in the latter stages, than being passed.

10 miles

I had a big exam today (Pure Math), I've been studying hard for this every spare minute for the last month. The exam was in Drumcondra, so I parked at my folks house in Ballinteer, took the Luas to Stephens Green, and walked to the Nortside. Jesus, Dublin is a fecking war zone. Junkies, beggars, boarded up shops... its filthy. I know some people like it, but its not for me (lived there 25 years for my sins). So when the exam was over, I changed clothes, stuffed everything into a backpack, and ran back to the car. I'd only gone 2 miles when Kiwirunner surprized me on his run home. Always happy to have company, he said he was just out for a jog, so that meant I was running close to tempo pace:D. Thankfully though, he knows these streets, and he took me on a much nicer route to Ringsend, and follow the swollen Dodder all the way to Milltown. It was pretty scenic, a much nicer aspect than my earlier walk. We parted ways, and I slowed the pace down for the next 4 miles, gradually uphill all the way.

Celebratory bottle of wine tonight, to mark half way through this gruelling program (and all my questions came up today):)

Mon 15th|Cross|3.5 easy|
    Wed 17th|6 steady|2 steady, 4@decent clip, 4 more steady|
    Thurs 18th|Cross||
    Fri 19th|18 lsr||
    Sat 20th|5 easy/Cross||
    Sun 21nd|6 easy||
    Mon 22nd|6 easy||
    Wed 24th|5 easy/Cross||
    Thurs 25th|8 steady||
    Fri 26th|5 easy/Cross||
    Sat 27th|Cross||
    Sun 28th|Cross||
    Mon 29th|Marathon||

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

whats the goal for dcm now paul. COme and run with the sexy 4 hour bunch for a while. I heard there are free lollypops :P

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    whats the goal for dcm now paul. COme and run with the sexy 4 hour bunch for a while. I heard there are free lollypops :P

My ears are still burning from the last time I heard your jokes Frank;) Goal is to run the first half a little ahead of your lollypops, and try and hold on before you catch up for the rest.

2,000m swim.
    Much needed, this swim was all about maintaining a decent stroke length. Legs, etc, feel a lot better after it, swimming is brilliant for cross training. More runners should do it.

Mon 15th|Cross|3.5 easy|
    Wed 17th|6 steady|2 steady, 4@decent clip, 4 more steady|
    Thurs 18th|Cross|2,000m swim, steady pace|
    Fri 19th|18 lsr||
    Sat 20th|5 easy/Cross||
    Sun 21nd|6 easy||
    Mon 22nd|6 easy||
    Wed 24th|5 easy/Cross||