Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joinery Apprenticeship

Options
  • 10-10-2012 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

i just got offered an apprenticeship in joinery. now im delighted at this but am worried about getting stuck mid apprenticeship. i made some bad choices when i was younger and all i have is my leaving cert and this is a lifeline to be offered an apprenticeship. i was just wondering are you able to complete an apprenticeship is europe incase after a while i get let go? or does it have to be in ireland. i hate thinking about getting let go already but i have to be realistic about the current climate and was just wondering is it an option.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Who are there company? Pm me if you don't want to put it up here. As far as I know an apprenticeship has to be completed here in Ireland under the instruction of a fas approved trainer so you wouldn't be able to do it outside of Ireland unless you start an apprenticeship in another country.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭slpower01

The way things have gone if you get half way (eg into phase 3+)... FAS will usually put you through the other college stages.
    This happened to me in a sense, I did 2 years of phase 1 and then eventually went to college, after I finished I did a bit of work for a different builder and got let go. Ever since I have been self employed, just see if you can even stay in contact with a qualified carpenter/joiner in the job that will sign your papers confirming you are capable of doing all the sections on the sheets... (laying out a roof, skiting etc etc) then you should have no problem.

Advertisement