Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2012 solid fuel offers?

Options
  • 10-10-2012 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭

Hi everybody
    Given the state of the weather that we are having at the moment it is time to start lighting the fire so I'm looking to know if anybody knows of any good offers on solid fuel around Carlow?

The timber yard in Graiguecullen has a trailer load of softwood sticks for €50-60 but I'm not aware of anywhere with good offers on coal, briquettes or hardwood timber..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

would be very interested in the briquettes offer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

OK I am not sure if anybody else is in the same boat as me and have a solid fuel stove but one of the best coals that we got was ecobrite (very little waste in the grate and long lasting burn) from the coal yard in crettyard unfortunately with price of diesel etc it's not worth going that for it anymore so I have found that Connolly's in bagenalstown and Brennen's coal yard in Carlow supply another ecobrite version (http://www.arignafuels.ie/products/ecobrite/)

Connolly's however have an offer of buy 10 bags and get 1 free with it being €16.95 a bag so works out at being €15.41 a bag for the 11 of them.

@racso1975 I know that Doyles last year were doing an offer of 2 bales of Eastern European briquettes for €5 and then later €6 but not sure if they are doing that again this year..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Swans wholesalers always have offers for briquettes and coal. Can't remember what it was now as I get mine in the place opposite the Fire Station.

I saw an offer for briquettes in the Arboretum the other day, it seemed good also.

I'll put up the prices next time I see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Cobs

Rachel's Frieplaces on the Tullow Road beside Iceland are suppose to have some good deals going at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭hadepsx

Cobs wrote: »
    Rachel's Frieplaces on the Tullow Road beside Iceland are suppose to have some good deals going at the moment.

wouldnt touch off coal in that place. i got a bag of it and it was mainly full of flaky crap that was v.hard to start a fire with, and it would nearly put a fire out once u put some on a fire later in night, just dogpoo. op if u can travel and have a few bob, go to solid fuel services in ardoyne, 5 mins outside tullow, on shillelagh rd. joe the boss is a very sound man, they sell good quaility coal and wood. i just got 30 large bags of ash wood and 2 40kg polish coal for e150. good deal for me, the ash last ages so now all ive to buy is coal.
    or try swans wholesale near ept or the woodyard in graig as prev. mentioned

• Advertisement

3 Bales of briguettes for a ten euro in Swans.

Five 20 kg coal for ???? - I can't remember. it will come back to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

beat me queenie was about to post the swan price. they also do 4 fire logs for 5. drove past that Rachel's place and briquttes were 3.99 a pop.

Edit: meant also saying 24 cans of miller for 20 in tesco

My mother in law just confirmed that Doyles of the shamrock in town and in Tullow are both doing 4 bales of briquettes for €11, they are Eastern European but they are as good as bord an mona in my opinion/experience.

Also the coalyard in crettyard are doing 40kg bags of ecobrite for €16.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Zeppi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭hadepsx

.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭darkestlord

Can any one point me in the right direction of Doyle's in tullow. Living in Tinahely. Thanks

Can any one point me in the right direction of Doyle's in tullow. Living in Tinahely. Thanks

This should do it ..http://www.topline.ie/DesktopModules/Eirtight.ToplineStoreLocator/StoreLocatorPopup.aspx?member_id=230

The entrance is almost directly across the road from the topaz petrol station..

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭tom traubert

We installed a stove last week. I'm now looking for seasoned (dry) hardwood to burn in it.

Can anyone recommend a supplier around Carlow whose stock was cut last year and kept dry?

The lumber yard in Graigue is very good. It is past Aldi on the left hand side going towards Port Laoise - don't ask me the name (I am lucky to remember my own name).

We got a load last year for 150 - the load is huge. The blocks are really seasoned. A few of the blocks were too big for our firebox; but an axe sorted that. We are down to the last few logs, so will be ordering this week again.

We also got a load of timber from Doyle's for 65 & the load was awful. The blocks were really small and damp.

Haven't tried anywhere else - I'd doubt we will try anywhere else, we will just go back to the place in graigue.

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    The lumber yard in Graigue is very good. It is past Aldi on the left hand side going towards Port Laoise - don't ask me the name (I am lucky to remember my own name).

We got a load last year for 150 - the load is huge. The blocks are really seasoned. A few of the blocks were too big for our firebox; but an axe sorted that. We are down to the last few logs, so will be ordering this week again.

We also got a load of timber from Doyle's for 65 & the load was awful. The blocks were really small and damp.

Haven't tried anywhere else - I'd doubt we will try anywhere else, we will just go back to the place in graigue.

Had planned to head there today myself but am going tomorrow instead as am just about finished the load I got last February there.. The timber is mostly pine and other softwood but was seasoned so burnt well in the stove...

tommycahir wrote: »
    Had planned to head there today myself but am going tomorrow instead as am just about finished the load I got last February there.. The timber is mostly pine and other softwood but was seasoned so burnt well in the stove...

We have a load being delivered tomorrow. What fun - having to stack the whole lot in the back shed :(

Swans Wholesalers are selling Triple Heat coal for 11 or 12 euro a bag (40kg) - it is really good stuff. We got some on Saturday and it burns really well - and by lord is it hot. It is supposed to be for open fire - but we are burning it in the Stanley and its fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭flossie

Does the guy in Graiguecullen deliver for that price? I need some wood delivered, and used to get it from Doyles of the Shamrock until they started charging for delivery.

Edit - Just called, and it includes delivery. Think i'll be ordering some this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Walsh's in Bagenalstown are selling 40kg of household coal, 1 bale of BNM briquettes or a 30l bag of fire logs and a bag of kindling for €18.

flossie wrote: »
    Does the guy in Graiguecullen deliver for that price? I need some wood delivered, and used to get it from Doyles of the Shamrock until they started charging for delivery.

Edit - Just called, and it includes delivery. Think i'll be ordering some this week!

Yeah - delivery is included. I meant to take a picture of the load when we had it stacked in the shed to give some indication of the size of it. I think it is great value for money.

I got three bales of briquettes today for 11 euro - in the place opposite fire station. Some of the staff are more generous than others - they usually always price down i.e. 45 euro for 47 type thing. Which is always appreciated :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭almighty1

Swans Wholesalers are selling Triple Heat coal for 11 or 12 euro a bag (40kg) - it is really good stuff. We got some on Saturday and it burns really well - and by lord is it hot. It is supposed to be for open fire - but we are burning it in the Stanley and its fine.

They don't have any 40kg stuff left just 20kg but at the same price. However minimum buy is 5 bags for €30. I'm going to give that a shot and see how good it is.

If anybody is looking for Country Blend coal.

Country Blend - Quinns of Baltinglass
    Quinns of Baltinglass Ltd – Milford Main Office
    Doyles Yard, Clochristic, Milford, Co Carlow
    T: 059-9171860
    F: 059-9171861

13 bags for 16.00 a bag delivered........Reillys were 17.50.

• Advertisement

almighty1 wrote: »
    They don't have any 40kg stuff left just 20kg but at the same price. However minimum buy is 5 bags for €30. I'm going to give that a shot and see how good it is.

Make sure to tell us what the coal is like - that is a 100kg for 30euro. That is a great price (or else my maths are way off).

My neighbour bought coal briquettes by accident last week - they are so dirty and the amount of ash that comes off them is crazy. So will definitely be avoiding them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Got coal from swans last week, polish stuff. It was absolute sh**te !!! Wouldnt burn if you nuked it .

Gonna go back to Leo Brennans for coal from now on, the stuff I get from him is great.

I usually get my logs from Rachels on the tullow rd,cheap enough and burns well

After hearing about the Arigna coal and how good it was, i got a 40kg bag of cosy glo in Walsh's in Bagenalstown for €17 and its really excellent stuff. Big clean nuggets that glow for ages. One bucket full done us for the night and at one stage it was too warm. The have one for stoves as well called EcoBrite for €16.50 and that is also excellent coal.

Gonna try that Triple Heat though, 100kg for €30 is fantastic value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭harolds57

Anyone burning hayes supacite, am getting it at 16.50 a bag anyone any better? Or anyone try it and find something better. Find it really good myself, high heat low ashes. Burning it in closed mulit fuel insert.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭almighty1

Make sure to tell us what the coal is like - that is a 100kg for 30euro. That is a great price (or else my maths are way off).

Just used it for the first time last night and have to say I was very impressed. Clean, good heat and little ash. In fact I think it is an improvement on the much more expensive Country Blend I had been using.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Tessan

Anyone know where i can get cosyglo coal in the naas area? cheers

I think you'd be better off trying the Kildare forum.

Advertisement