Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied maths help?

Options
  • 10-10-2012 2:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Just wondering if i should take up applied maths? In 5th year now, doing HL maths and physics so would it be quite an easy A if i put the work in? I've heard that its quite predictable and the same 10 questions come up every year, and you only answer six.

Also, I would be doing it outside of school. I feel I'd lack the motivation to study it at home by myself so yeah, I would need to do grinds. Which is better in your opinion or from what you've heard- IOE or Dublin school of grinds (formerly dublin school of maths)? I am leaning toward Dublin school of grinds at the moment because their prices seem a bit more reasonable? Kieran mills is the teacher in dublin school, it says he's just come from the institute, and Gerry Culleton is the teacher in the institute, if anyone has ever heard of them?

I know this is so long but I'd really appreciate some help hah!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

definitely man.
    I have a huge interest in Physics, and if it's something that you do have an interest in you should go for it, you can't go wrong ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

If you have any interest in studying something along the lines of maths/physics/engineering, it would be very helpful for you to have done applied maths. It's not too difficult (once you get past the initial "oh god what is this so much information at once"). You do need to have the motivation to revise it though! I did it outside school and when we did questions in class I understood them, then kind of forgot how to do them as time went on and was too lazy to revise, so missed out on the A. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mazahacka

Hello,

Applied maths is pretty easy if you practise a lot of questions. And if you're good at Higher Level Maths and Physics, you'll be graAAnd. Like question 5 in Applied Maths is impacts and collisions, which is quite like the mechanics section of Physics. And question 10 is differentiation/integration, if you master it in maths, it becomes like a jock. It would definitely be the first question you're going to do on the exam because it will be so easy!

Moreover, you only have to do 6 questions out of 10.

My recommendation as for which questions to study is: 1, 3, 4, 5, 10 --these five are the easiest. Question 2, which is relative motion, could be quite hard to get your head around. But if you understand it, then Bob's your uncle. Also, question 6 isn't too bad, it's simple harmonic motion, similar to the physics section.

Hope this helps you!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Is it possible to do it without a teacher? Or maybe a few grinds classes here and there
    Like, would the books be enough to learn from?

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭thisisadamh

Do you have Eircom? The Eircom study hub lectures are really helpful. Also I went to this and found it extremely helpful as well http://www.educationworkshop.ie/applied_maths_7.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Do you have Eircom? The Eircom study hub lectures are really helpful. Also I went to this and found it extremely helpful as well http://www.educationworkshop.ie/applied_maths_7.html
    Used to ages ago, Sudyhub is great and all but broadband is just horrible :rolleyes:
    That looks good, STEPS Ireland has lectures for Applied Maths and a few channels on YT aren't bad either

Advertisement