Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winmau BDO World Masters 2012

• 10-10-2012 2:08pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So the second biggest tournament on the BDO Calender is on this weekend (Play-Offs on today and tomorrow) and is being shown live on ESPN. We won't know the final 32 until Thursday night so the draw will be posted up here then.

What I really want to know though is who the bright spark was that somehow managed to schedule the World Masters on the same weekend as the Grand Prix? Incredibly bad planning and the BDO are known for doing this in the past. The European Championships didn't get great viewing figures on ESPN and that was a PDC event so I can only imagine how bad the figures will be for a BDO tournament that clashes with a PDC event on Sky.

Madness

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

Kingp35 wrote: »
    So the second biggest tournament on the BDO Calender is on this weekend (Play-Offs on today and tomorrow) and is being shown live on ESPN. We won't know the final 32 until Thursday night so the draw will be posted up here then.

What I really want to know though is who the bright spark was that somehow managed to schedule the World Masters on the same weekend as the Grand Prix? Incredibly bad planning and the BDO are known for doing this in the past. The European Championships didn't get great viewing figures on ESPN and that was a PDC event so I can only imagine how bad the figures will be for a BDO tournament that clashes with a PDC event on Sky.

Madness

vg point, something similar happened when the bdo had the masters clashing with the GSOD in 07. i can't understand why the bdo brought masters forward when tradtionally its around december, they had on in september a few years back but it didnt clash with any of the tv pdc events. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 563 ✭✭✭buster180

The BDO are up to their old tricks again I see. They will never learn.

bdo1.png
    bdo2.png

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

The saddest part is that I am not surprised at all. They are a shambles and this scheduling conflict will do them and their players no favours.

It's the players I feel sorry for because they deserve better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭Treble20

I've been watching the last 32 games of the Masters this evening on ESPN and some huge shocks already today.

Reigning champion Scott Waites is gone after been hammered 3-0 by Northern Ireland's Paul Brown. Just a while ago 3 times World Champion Martin Adams was sensationally dumped out of the tournament when he was beat 3-1 by Indian player Rune David who's representing Norway.

The final is on now on ESPN between Stephen Bunting and Tony O'Shea. Who ever wins it'll be a first major trophy for either of them. I would like to see O'Shea win but I'd make Bunting favourite from the games I've seen.

• Advertisement

Great to see such a respectful knowledgeable crowd in attendance in Hull. 2 sets each,interval at the moment,first to 7 sets wins.

Bunting broke O'Shea's throw there in the last set and now leads 5-3,another interval now.

Stephen Bunting is 2012 Winmau World Masters champion after defeating Tony O'Shea 7-4 and he done it in style with a 146 checkout. Good enough game without it ever been too spectacular. Bunting a deserving winner,his 2nd masters title as such after winning the Youths equivalent a way back in 2001 I think!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

congrats to stevie b , didnt see the final but he played well in his semi against harms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭Any Double !

buster180 wrote: »
    The BDO are up to their old tricks again I see. They will never learn.

bdo1.png
    bdo2.png
    That's interesting. I was in Hull for the first two days of qualifying but unfortunately my two mates didn't progress so we came home on the Friday. Indeed it was worth the trip alone to watch Jason Cullen slicing his way through the opposition to qualify for Lakeside in January. His sets 2-0 against a very good Turkish player who hadn't dropped a set all day. He actually won both sets 3-0 too.
    I saw Daryll on the Wednesday but didn't think he played. I did see him get pipped in his board final in the Masters qualifiers on the Thursday. If the BDO had done that the day before then credit is due to him for keeping the head down and playing as well as he did on the Thursday. I guess with his success in Citywest Sunday his future is a lot clearer now anyway. I can only imagine what it must've done to the kids if Cox's tweet is correct.
    Watched some of the Junior boys & girls who were good but none would come near a certain young Dean Finn.

• Advertisement
Advertisement