Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC digital switchover

Options
  • 10-10-2012 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

The BBC digital switchover occurred last night. BBC2 analogue is not tranmitting anymore but the BBC digital channels are now transmitting at higher power. If you are not receiving them then retune your digital channels on your TV. I'm now picking up great BBC reception in Drogheda with a 20 year old aerial :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

Deepwell,

What other equipment do you have to pick up the UK digital channels - TV or set-top box?

I bought a Freeview box a while back to try it with my own aerial, and it didn't pick up anything, but I will try it again now that the switchover has happened.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I noticed BBC 2 isn't airing anymore, and the others anologues went down earlier but are back up now. Does that mean we're keeping them long term if we're still getting them now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

I noticed BBC 2 isn't airing anymore, and the others anologues went down earlier but are back up now. Does that mean we're keeping them long term if we're still getting them now?

Nope, all gone on October 24th both North and South. Digital only after that. If you have a Freeview (NI digital service via a TV aerial) or Saorview capable set top box or TV retune it now. The BBC's channels are coming in very well here in Dundalk if you have an aerial that was getting the old analogue service from NI.

Stage 1 of the digital switchover occurred today in NI. Stage 2 occurs on October 24th. The rest of the analogue channels in NI are closed down and further digital versions of channels (UTV, CH4 etc) should become available if you don't have them already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Retuned the Freeview channels on our TVs (Ardee). Prior to today they were very inconsistent signals. Now they're perfect! Even picking up the Red Button channel (301) which is wasn't before. Can watch my NFL in bed now on Mondays!

So UTV/Channel 4/5 analogue signals getting switched off on 24th? Would love if they came through on Freeview. Would solve a lot of headaches here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭markc1184

All perfect on 2 saorview tvs and another saorview box. Major difference compared to what was there before.

• Advertisement

peejay1986 wrote: »
    So UTV/Channel 4/5 analogue signals getting switched off on 24th? Would love if they came through on Freeview. Would solve a lot of headaches here.

Yes. All analogue gone on the 24th. Going by todays excellent results, they should come in too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

Retuned my saorview TV and got the BBC digital channels no problem.

I plugged in the Freeview box I bought for £18 in Belfast a few months ago to another (non-saorview) TV and got the channels there, quality of picture isn't 100% but it's better than analogue was!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

I now have 20 (well, maybe 19. What is a red button channel?) channels where i had barely 8 before. Happy days and not a saorview box in sight! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Got them here too.
    Does anyone know if UTV and Channel 4 will be available this way?

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Got them here too.
    Does anyone know if UTV and Channel 4 will be available this way?

Yeah it will. They just have to turn on the signals. I'll be retuning every day and will post when i get them.

• Advertisement

CMpunked wrote: »
    Yeah it will. They just have to turn on the signals. I'll be retuning every day and will post when i get them.

Nothing will happen now until the 24th October. That will be the next time to do a re-tune. More channels should be available then when the other high power transmissions from NI begin.

Not looking forward to having to go get the saorview box. Worried they are going to mess up the system I've got in place right now :P

Nothing will happen now until the 24th October. That will be the next time to do a re-tune. More channels should be available then when the other high power transmissions from NI begin.

Excellent.

What other channels other than chan.4 and itv should we expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Arrow in the Knee

Hey there,
    I only have an aerial for the TV. BBC 2 was knocked off today. The TV's are Saorview approved at home.

So could I get a Freeview box to get the UK channels after the switch over?

Excellent.

What other channels other than chan.4 and itv should we expect?

Link here shows whats available from a main Freeview transmitter. Divis (Belfast) is one, so carries all services.

Other transmitters (relays) are termed "Freeview Lite" and will carry less channels. Camlough near Newry is one of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

Hey there,
    I only have an aerial for the TV. BBC 2 was knocked off today. The TV's are Saorview approved at home.

So could I get a Freeview box to get the UK channels after the switch over?

You should be able to get the Freeview channels on your Saorview box, provided the Saorview box is connected to the same aerial that used to get BBC 2.

Retune the Saorview box today and you should get the BBC channels.

Retune again on 24 October for UTV & C4 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Arrow in the Knee

Just to make sure it doesn't matter where you get the Freeview box either North or South of the border?

Also what Freeview box did one of the previous posters get the Red Button channel from?

Link here shows whats available from a main Freeview transmitter. Divis (Belfast) is one, so carries all services.

Other transmitters (relays) are termed "Freeview Lite" and will carry less channels. Camlough near Newry is one of these.

Not being smart, but whats stopping us in louth from picking up the belfast signal over the newry one?

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

Just to make sure it doesn't matter where you get the Freeview box either North or South of the border?

A Freeview box will not work with Saorview.

You need either a Freeview HD box or a Saorview box.

Freeview HD is best as it will pick up the NI HD channels.

Freeview box = works with Freeview Standard Definition only.
    Saorview box = works with Freeview Standard Definition & Saorview
    Freeview HD box = works with Freeview SD & Freeview HD & Saorview

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Not being smart, but whats stopping us in louth from picking up the belfast signal over the newry one?

Signal not strong enough maybe?

I used to get the freeview digital channels, fairly poor signal though, but after I retuned today they are gone. Getting the bbc channels perfectly. I'm guessing from that divis transmitter link I should be able to get the freeview channels again on the 24th of October when the freeview power increases?

• Advertisement

Cooley Hills and the Mournes might. Parts of Dundalk town (in the east, roughly Red Barns Road area) have aerials pointing to Camlough. Most are pointing to Belfast though.

Move further north (Ravensdale etc) and you're definitely blocked for Belfast.

What frequency is your reception on? If its Belfast, the new high power transmission that started today is on UHF channel 27. The remaining analogue channels are on 21, 24 and 31 (CH4, UTV and BBC1).

If its Camlough, the new digital channels are on 59, with analogue on channels 54, 58 and 61.

What frequency is your reception on? If its Belfast, the new high power transmission that started today is on UHF channel 27. The remaining analogue channels are on 21, 24 and 31 (CH4, UTV and BBC1).

If its Camlough, the new digital channels are on 59, with analogue on channels 54, 58 and 61.

Mine are 45 and 30. :confused:

Mine are 45 and 30. :confused:

The transmitter at Kilkeel in Co. Down is on ch 45 for the digital tranmissions that appeared today. Remaining analogue channels from Kilkeel are on 39, 42 and 49 (BBC1, CH4, UTV).

Is your location on the coast?

Is ch 30 also digital? Whats on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Rescanned yesterday in Drogheda and my digital portable tv picked up all the bbc channels. 42 digital channels now instead of 18. Looking forward to themswitching on the signal for ITV and Channel four and the rest on October 24th

Are people getting the BBC channels with a box from Argos then? Would one of them be ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

I just cheaked out argos.co .uk which covers the Newry shop cheapest box is £17.99
    In the republic cheapest saorveiw box is €59.99 ??? Says it all really .
    I've no interest in rte or topping up gay Byrnes pension so ill be going to Newry

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bridster007

I just cheaked out argos.co .uk which covers the Newry shop cheapest box is £17.99
    I've no interest in rte or topping up gay Byrnes pension so ill be going to Newry

That Argos box in Newry won't bring in Saorview channels.
    €60 is not much to pay for a proper certified box that is guaranteed to work with all Saorview features. And brings in Freeview as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Living in Roschoill (Drogheda) and have had a fairly decent reception for BB1, pretty patchy on BB2, UTV was practically unwatchable and Channel 4 varied from near perfect to very rough. Aerial mounted outside on the chimney stack.

Have a Saorview box in the bedroom (Sky for the other 2 TV's so not bothered about them). Last night BBC 2 Analouge was gone (expected) so I re-scanned the Saorview box hoping to pick up the BBC digital channels, but I've still only got the Irish digital channels.

Any suggestions? I believe Roschoill is a bad area for reception, but I'll go crazy without my BBC stations (being from across the water originally).

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bridster007

Are people getting the BBC channels with a box from Argos then? Would one of them be ok?

The Alba box in Argos for €60 is fine for Saorview and Freeview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

That Argos box in Newry won't bring in Saorview channels.
    €60 is not much to pay for a proper certified box that is guaranteed to work with all Saorview features. And brings in Freeview as well.

Well I allready have sky and the box would just be for the kitchen or one of the bedrooms .
    So I've no interest in watching RTE and the uk one will do the trick nicely

Advertisement