Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC digital switchover

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭peejay1986

I just cheaked out argos.co .uk which covers the Newry shop cheapest box is £17.99
    In the republic cheapest saorveiw box is €59.99 ??? Says it all really .
    I've no interest in rte or topping up gay Byrnes pension so ill be going to Newry

I was living in England at the time of the digital switchover in Cheshire and, to be fair, they took the piss with Freeview box prices then. Cheapest you could get (and there was a lot more choice) was £30. You can get Freeview boxes for a tenner now.

It's not nice but it's obvious that they'll sell them now for as high a price as possible. It's an almost guaranteed market in the sense that they're still the cheapest option for the mandatory digital switchover.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

R.O.R wrote: »
    Living in Roschoill (Drogheda) and have had a fairly decent reception for BB1, pretty patchy on BB2, UTV was practically unwatchable and Channel 4 varied from near perfect to very rough. Aerial mounted outside on the chimney stack.

Have a Saorview box in the bedroom (Sky for the other 2 TV's so not bothered about them). Last night BBC 2 Analouge was gone (expected) so I re-scanned the Saorview box hoping to pick up the BBC digital channels, but I've still only got the Irish digital channels.

Any suggestions? I believe Roschoill is a bad area for reception, but I'll go crazy without my BBC stations (being from across the water originally).

Older saorview TVs/STBs apparently don't pick up the UK freeview channels - not sure what exactly is meant by "older" though! My 15 month old saorview TV picked up all of the freeview channels perfectly (I'm only up the road from you).
    I have a UK freeview set top box which hasn't picked up the channels very well at all - that could be due to the internal aerial wiring (it was split between 3 rooms, and I'm not sure what if any booster was installed). It does pick up the RTE saorview radio channels loud and clear though!

There's a forum discussing the digital changeover here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=56

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

gipi wrote: »
    Older saorview TVs/STBs apparently don't pick up the UK freeview channels - not sure what exactly is meant by "older" though! My 15 month old saorview TV picked up all of the freeview channels perfectly (I'm only up the road from you).
    I have a UK freeview set top box which hasn't picked up the channels very well at all - that could be due to the internal aerial wiring (it was split between 3 rooms, and I'm not sure what if any booster was installed). It does pick up the RTE saorview radio channels loud and clear though!

There's a forum discussing the digital changeover here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=56

Thanks - Saorview box was bought a couple of months ago. It's a Finlux branded one that's HD capable so I thought I'd get the channels.

In-Laws in Wheaton Hall can pick up all the Freeview channels with an NI Freeview TV (but only getting sound for Saorview channels - must be MPEG2) but I'm getting nothin.

I've been reading the TV forum about the subject and all the talk of MUX etc. is going right over my head. Was hoping for a non techy answer like "try turning your aerial round to point at Belfast"

• Registered Users Posts: 25 mornington man

Was looking to get the UK channels post 24th October and all "suppliers/Experts" advised Freeview boxes< Combiboxes etc. all at €180 a go, plus would need a satellite dish. Had bought a TV recently (Sony) with, which was saorview approved. Had tuned the Irish stations on Digital and the UK/Irish on Analogue and was expecting to lose them come the 24th. Lost BBC2 last night and saw this thread on Boards. Following the advice, I have just retuned on Digital and got 42 stations (UK/Irish, TV and radio) Pictures are perfect as is sound. The Red button works on the BBC stations. I cannot believe this, all those extra channels for "free", and more to come on the 24th. My aerial is 30 yrs old. Thanks to all who have contributed!!!::):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

thos who have picked up the Uk channels, can you let us know what make/model saorview box you're using?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 mornington man

event wrote: »
    thos who have picked up the Uk channels, can you let us know what make/model saorview box you're using?

No Box being used, the TV (as I believe all new TV's are) was Saorview approved, it is inbuilt. You just connect your TV aerial as normal. Could get the Saorview channels (Irish) from about 6 months ago and since today some UK ones will more to follow on 24th

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭HuntingDrog

The Alba box in Argos for €60 is fine for Saorview and Freeview.

Sorry if this is a dumb question but is it because we are close to the North that Drogheda is picking up Freeview?

My situation is:
    Have aerial and Sat Free-to-air here in Drogheda home
    No cable or sky nor no saorview TV's in the home.
    No HD TV's in the home either
    I want to buy a set-top box to get Irish channels.

Will the Alba box pick up Freeview channels for me too?

I've been reading the TV forum about the subject and all the talk of MUX etc. is going right over my head. Was hoping for a non techy answer like "try turning your aerial round to point at Belfast"

Know what you mean - it's a whole other language over there! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

Sorry if this is a dumb question but is it because we are close to the North that Drogheda is picking up Freeview?
    Yes.
    Up until yesterday, Freeview was on very low power from only 3 of the over 50 TV transmitters NI.

Since yesterday, BBC 2 analogue shut down as was replaced by the BBC Freeview channels from all 50 transmitters. Nearly all who used to get BBC 2 from the transmitters before will be able to get the BBC channels on Freeview now.

From 24 October, the other NI channels shut down on analogue and you should be able to get UTV/C4 on Freeview from that date.
    Will the Alba box pick up Freeview channels for me too?
    Yes it will, but it won't pick up the four "Freeview HD" channels.

MarkK wrote: »
    Yes it will, but it won't pick up the four "Freeview HD" channels.

ok - but like I said, I don't have a HD tv anyway.

ok tks Mark for that confirmation. For €60, that looks a good deal to me

one more thing - do i need to buy anything else (cables etc) to get this hooked up to my tv?
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5322745.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bridster007

ok - but like I said, I don't have a HD tv anyway.

ok tks Mark for that confirmation. For €60, that looks a good deal to me

one more thing - do i need to buy anything else (cables etc) to get this hooked up to my tv?
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5322745.htm

There is a HDMI cable in the box which you won't use as your TV is not HD. Therefore you need to buy a scart cable. ( don't spend more than €4 on one )
    Or you may have some lying around the house.

There is a HDMI cable in the box which you won't use as your TV is not HD. Therefore you need to buy a scart cable. ( don't spend more than €4 on one )
    Or you may have some lying around the house.

fair play....tks a mill lads

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The transmitter at Kilkeel in Co. Down is on ch 45 for the digital tranmissions that appeared today. Remaining analogue channels from Kilkeel are on 39, 42 and 49 (BBC1, CH4, UTV).

Is your location on the coast?

Is ch 30 also digital? Whats on it?
    At a guess, 30 is Saorview from Three Rock.

It's possible the user can receive Saorview from Three Rock/Clermont/Kippure but as Three Rock is furthest down, it stops there first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

marno21 wrote: »
    At a guess, 30 is Saorview from Three Rock.

It's possible the user can receive Saorview from Three Rock/Clermont/Kippure but as Three Rock is furthest down, it stops there first.

Yip, eventually was thinking it could be 3R. Was wrecking my head for ages! I PM'd the person earlier mentioning this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭markc1184

For anyone that can't pick up the UK channels, you will probably need to do a 1st time installation which will delete the memory and start over. I have my Finlux saorview box since they became available and it has picked up the UK bbc tv and radio channels by doing this. When I just tried the rescan it only picked up the Irish channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Bogman Billy

peejay1986 wrote: »
    Retuned the Freeview channels on our TVs (Ardee). Prior to today they were very inconsistent signals. Now they're perfect! Even picking up the Red Button channel (301) which is wasn't before. Can watch my NFL in bed now on Mondays!

So UTV/Channel 4/5 analogue signals getting switched off on 24th? Would love if they came through on Freeview. Would solve a lot of headaches here.

Can I ask what channel do you get the nfl on?! Thanks;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

BBC channels now available on the play tv on the PS3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Any chance of picking this up in Dublin?

stevek,
    It depends on where you live and whether you can pick up the signal - posters over on the TV forum have reported clear signals in Co Kildare so you never know!

If you've got an aerial and a saorview box/TV just retune and give it a go!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Channel 301 (aka BBC Red Button). Monday nights, usually about 1-1.30AM. Enjoy!

• Advertisement

It's shown on the BBC Red Button, which I think is either 301 or 302 on Freeview.

gipi wrote: »
    stevek,
    It depends on where you live and whether you can pick up the signal - posters over on the TV forum have reported clear signals in Co Kildare so you never know!

If you've got an aerial and a saorview box/TV just retune and give it a go!

Jasus wouldn't think that now. Am using a indoor antenna might try stick it out the window and see what happens. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

Thanks - Saorview box was bought a couple of months ago. It's a Finlux branded one that's HD capable so I thought I'd get the channels.

In-Laws in Wheaton Hall can pick up all the Freeview channels with an NI Freeview TV (but only getting sound for Saorview channels - must be MPEG2) but I'm getting nothin.

What way is your aerial pointing?
    you should try turning your aerial to point north if it isnt already... :P
    also it may be due to your aerial being the wrong type, check what the inlaws are using.

a saorview compatible unit should be capable of receiving the ordinary freeview channels depending on aerial and if there is a freeview reception in the area.
    a mux is a bundle(multiplex) of digital stations transmitted together, on a specific channel, e.g. saorview is one mux. most of the bbc stations are all transmitted in another mux since the switchover. you can manually retune for specific channel number(mux/bundle of digital stations).

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭shannon82

event wrote: »
    I got the one in argos that was €49 now its €59

Picked them up in Wexford on a box I bought in Aldi have Soarview and UK Freeview. Not to sure about here in Dublin would it be worth buying a outdoor atenna come to think of it Soarview can be pretty poor at the best of times here as well. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

I bought my TV in Newry 2 years ago and had the UK channels through the built in freeview for months after but since the Saorview started up a while back they all went missing, I rescanned today on reading this thread and there are 30 odd channels with their name appearing but only saying data service. The time I did it it was all blocky with no sound. I presume there is no point in getting a freeview box given it's built into the TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭markc1184

Is anyone's BBC1 very jumpy/glitchy? I've 2 approved tvs and a set top box. All channels fine on each apart from just BBC1 on one of the tvs.

Folks need help pls?

I bought the Alba (€60 in Argos) and plugged it in at home (low area in drogheda-Georgian Close)....no BBC channels. Disappointed-any body else getting freeview around the North Rd area?

Anyway, I brought the set-top box up to my sisters yesterday (High point in Drogheda-Riverbank). She is picking up the BBC1 and utv/c4 on her antenna. So I plugged it in the Alba...no BBC freeview channels being picked up there either!!

Need help here-Any idea's why I'm not picking up uk freeview in either location? Is there a certain tuning/frequency/thingamajig I should be doing also??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

markc1184 wrote: »
    Is anyone's BBC1 very jumpy/glitchy? I've 2 approved tvs and a set top box. All channels fine on each apart from just BBC1 on one of the tvs.

No. Brilliant reception on one integral TV and 2 Walker boxes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

I bought the Alba (€60 in Argos) and plugged it in at home (low area in drogheda-Georgian Close)....no BBC channels. Disappointed-any body else getting freeview around the North Rd area?
    Do you get a good BBC1 & UTV picture?
    Anyway, I brought the set-top box up to my sisters yesterday (High point in Drogheda-Riverbank). She is picking up the BBC1 and utv/c4 on her antenna. So I plugged it in the Alba...no BBC freeview channels being picked up there either!!
    Did you do a full retune at your sister's house? Did you get Saorview ok?

Advertisement