Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC digital switchover

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

Folks need help pls?

I bought the Alba (€60 in Argos) and plugged it in at home (low area in drogheda-Georgian Close)....no BBC channels. Disappointed-any body else getting freeview around the North Rd area?

Anyway, I brought the set-top box up to my sisters yesterday (High point in Drogheda-Riverbank). She is picking up the BBC1 and utv/c4 on her antenna. So I plugged it in the Alba...no BBC freeview channels being picked up there either!!

Need help here-Any idea's why I'm not picking up uk freeview in either location? Is there a certain tuning/frequency/thingamajig I should be doing also??

Do a manual scan of CH 45 (kilkeel transmitter)
    Works fine here on walker tv on donore road.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭HuntingDrog

MarkK wrote: »
    Do you get a good BBC1 & UTV picture?

Did you do a full retune at your sister's house? Did you get Saorview ok?

Yep. I did a first installation step and could only get the Irish Saorview channels

kbell wrote: »

To be honest, I did a manual scan of a couple of channels. Don't remember doing ch 45. I'll go up to her house tomorrow night and try it then? Tks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Howdy

Need some pointers and advice, before i go buy a new TV for an elderly person who lives next door to me.

We both share an aerial ( newly put up last year ).
    I pick up the saorview channels and now also the Uk digitals channels on my tvs in the house ( both saorview approved, 2 x samsungs and 1 hanspree in the kids room )

The Uk channels are coming through crystal clear since last week.

Am i right in assuming that if i buy a saorview approved new TV for the elderly relative next door, i shall pick up all the channels both Ireland and Uk on digital without any hassle on a new TV ?

Her TV is not saorview approved and instead of buying a box to pick up the channels, we said we will buy her a more modern tv .
    Is it a case of me just connecting the new TV, do a channel search and sorted... fairly sure the answer is yes, but want to be sure before i buy the tv for her this weekend ?

Thanks for any pointers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

andrew1977 wrote: »
    Howdy

Need some pointers and advice, before i go buy a new TV for an elderly person who lives next door to me.

I pick up the saorview channels and now also the Uk digitals channels on my tvs in the house ( both saorview approved, 2 x samsungs and 1 hanspree in the kids room )

Am i right in assuming that if i buy a saorview approved new TV for the elderly relative next door, i shall pick up all the channels both Ireland and Uk on digital without any hassle on a new TV ?

Her TV is not saorview approved and instead of buying a box to pick up the channels, we said we will buy her a more modern tv .
    Is it a case of me just connecting the new TV, do a channel search and sorted... fairly sure the answer is yes, but want to be sure before i buy the tv for her this weekend ?

Thanks for any pointers.
    Yes.

• Advertisement

MarkK wrote: »
    Do you get a good BBC1 & UTV picture?

sorry Mark, forgot to answer this part of your question last night.....no-I don't get a decent bbc1 or utv picture from my aerial normally (pre-saorview days).

I was hoping i'd be able to pick up freeview anyway from the North as the signals are now boosted......guess it was the wrong assumption??

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

It's possible, but I would not hold out much hope of getting reliable Freeview, if your analogue picture was bad.

It could be an experienced local aerial installer might be able to help.

There is always Freesat, which will give you more channels anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

I bought my TV in Newry 2 years ago and had the UK channels through the built in freeview for months after but since the Saorview started up a while back they all went missing, I rescanned today on reading this thread and there are 30 odd channels with their name appearing but only saying data service. The time I did it it was all blocky with no sound. I presume there is no point in getting a freeview box given it's built into the TV?

If you have a freeview tuner built in you should be ok for picking up standard freeview, especially if you got it before. if you want saorview and dont get it it may be a different story.
    you should check the signal information on your freeview channels, did anything happen to your aerial? what direction is the aerial pointing? are your neighbours getting good quality freeview through an aerial? what direction are they facing?

try retuning without aerial connected. you will lose all channels.
    then reconnect aerial and retune your tv again and see what happens!
    let us know!

Howdy

Thanks for any pointers.

you could always try taking one of your tvs that works and try tuning it in next door. See what kind of signal strength you get as well.

And remember that the neighbours TV although not saorview approved is still a good tv that only needs a digital set top box. Does it have any digital tuner built in? If it did it should be able for the standard freeview channels, but maybe not saorview.
    Even a saorview approved box should pick up the freeview stations for it.

you could always try taking one of your tvs that works and try tuning it in next door. See what kind of signal strength you get as well.

And remember that the neighbours TV although not saorview approved is still a good tv that only needs a digital set top box. Does it have any digital tuner built in? If it did it should be able for the standard freeview channels, but maybe not saorview.
    Even a saorview approved box should pick up the freeview stations for it.

Hi

Thanks for the help.
    Might try bringing in one of my tvs next door, have them hung on the walls in my house so a bit of hassle to take them down etc,
    I have searched high and low on her tv and no sign of a digital tuner, done a rescan and nothing, just picks up the bog standard analogue channels.
    I was thinking of going down the road and just getting her a saorview approved box, but all the other members of the family have agreed to chip in and buy her something slightly bigger and uncomplicated for her .
    If we get her a new TV and able to pick up the new RTE stations and the ones coming from the North, then we will all be happy out.

I dont suppose there is any website i can stick in the make and model number of her current TV so it will tell me what exactly it can and cant pick up ?

• Advertisement

Hi

Thanks for the help.
    Might try bringing in one of my tvs next door, have them hung on the walls in my house so a bit of hassle to take them down etc,
    I have searched high and low on her tv and no sign of a digital tuner, done a rescan and nothing, just picks up the bog standard analogue channels.
    I was thinking of going down the road and just getting her a saorview approved box, but all the other members of the family have agreed to chip in and buy her something slightly bigger and uncomplicated for her .
    If we get her a new TV and able to pick up the new RTE stations and the ones coming from the North, then we will all be happy out.

I dont suppose there is any website i can stick in the make and model number of her current TV so it will tell me what exactly it can and cant pick up ?

:) yeah tvs hung on a wall are not so mobile.
    You could try the digital tv forum here on boards.ie, or one of the topics there http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=56
    , or a bit of web searching might get info on the tv for you, but even then....

Search for the make, and model code taken from the tv and throw in specs or specification. You might find some info there. you are looking for a digital tuner (dvb-t dvb-t2) , mpeg2, mpeg4, digital text, mheg5. that way it might have a chance of at least getting freeview. Depends on how old it is too. more modern flat screen tvs have better chance of having some type of digital tuner.
    Also does the tv remote have any dtv button? d for digital. some tvs dont retune for digital unless they are in digital tv mode.

Overall you probably cant go wrong with a new saorview tv.
    I was just pointing out that the tv may still work for someone else, with a box, e.g. another room, spare tv, charity.
    Good luck with it!

:) yeah tvs hung on a wall are not so mobile.
    You could try the digital tv forum here on boards.ie, or one of the topics there http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=56
    , or a bit of web searching might get info on the tv for you, but even then....

Search for the make, and model code taken from the tv and throw in specs or specification. You might find some info there. you are looking for a digital tuner (dvb-t dvb-t2) , mpeg2, mpeg4, digital text, mheg5. that way it might have a chance of at least getting freeview. Depends on how old it is too. more modern flat screen tvs have better chance of having some type of digital tuner.
    Also does the tv remote have any dtv button? d for digital. some tvs dont retune for digital unless they are in digital tv mode.

Overall you probably cant go wrong with a new saorview tv.
    I was just pointing out that the tv may still work for someone else, with a box, e.g. another room, spare tv, charity.
    Good luck with it!

Great stuff chimichangas, thanks a lot for the pointers and advice, will check it all out for her tomorrow evening and see what i can find on her tv.
    I wont be letting her current tv going to waste, it will be used in some shape or form by somebody in the family or a worthy cause can have it.

This is the model she has Philips 32PFL5403D/10, trying to find into online now to see perhaps if i am mistaken and it is saorview ready.
    Edit : not saorview compatible according to my search on the terrestrial forum.

Thank you again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Did a retune of the box tonight and picked up a good few more Freeview channels. Obviously it's not from the signal that transmits ITV, CH4 - most are auction channels but 5+1 is on there and ITV4 I think. Worth a retune.

Am going up to the sisters house tonight....still not totally sure I'm doing this right......so do I go into Installation and type in 45 and OK it? It will manually search for me then? is that it? Or should I be considering frequency too?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Where is everyone picking these up?

stevek93 wrote: »
    Where is everyone picking these up?

Ardee.

Through both in-built TV/receiver and stand-a-lone boxes.

peejay1986 wrote: »
    Ardee.

Through both in-built TV/receiver and stand-a-lone boxes.

Ah not a hope of me picking these up in Dublin so. :p

Rescanned this morning and have 51 channels including all the utv s channel 4's etc...reception excellent...dublin road drogheda

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

How does this work with Sky btw. Does it connect into the TV separately to the Sky box or is there any shared connections?

How does this work with Sky btw. Does it connect into the TV separately to the Sky box or is there any shared connections?
    Aerial to connect to tv. ...Then change source to av..and tune. ..

• Advertisement

Picking up everything that can be expected. Best possible outcome! All the Freeview channels (SD and HD) and Saorview too. Hell, this is more than I had before I moved from the UK! Very happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭shannon82

peejay1986 wrote: »
    Picking up everything that can be expected. Best possible outcome! All the Freeview channels (SD and HD) and Saorview too. Hell, this is more than I had before I moved from the UK! Very happy.
    I have all d bbc's channbel 4's utv's but not itv 2 i hve itv3 tho and no channel 5's

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MacDeKnife

I am in north Meath. I have ITV 1,2 & 4, Ch 4 & 5, More 4, Film 4 etc. I had BBC 1,23, and 4. However the BBC stations only lasted about 1 hour and then disappeared. I still have all the other channels. This is on a Standard Walker Saorview box with a DVBT tuner. I have tried retuning to try and get the BBC stations again but with no success. I have even tried a first time installation to see if that would resolve the issue. Does this sound familiar to anyone or can anyone make any suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭flickarius

I'm in Ardee using a Triax 212 box and same analog ariel, my UTV & Channel 4 are coming and going as are some of the other new channels, (they are fine in my parents house down the road.) ITV and BBC ones all fine. Is anyone experiencing the same disruption to UTV Channel 4 or does anyone have any workaround for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

Have you a sky box or even vcr in the loop,?they may be using the same or similar frequency as the mux you're having problems with.
    Try aerial directly into saorview box, bypassing other equipment.

Rescanned this morning and have 51 channels including all the utv s channel 4's etc...reception excellent...dublin road drogheda

Indoor or outdoor antenna?

stevek93 wrote: »
    Indoor or outdoor antenna?

outdoor antenna which was capable of picking up a very poor bbc analogue picture before the switchover

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭flickarius

Have you a sky box or even vcr in the loop,?they may be using the same or similar frequency as the mux you're having problems with.
    Try aerial directly into saorview box, bypassing other equipment.
    NO sky box but there is a VCR in the loop, I can get ITV and Channel 4 grand sometimes other times it comes up pixellated or no signal. I'll take a look into the frequency and which Mux they're ciming in on, does weather affect the digital signal at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

Quick update .
    I bought a uk free veiw set top box € 25
    Plugged it in scanned the network "5 mins"
    And boom about 200 odd channels .
    No rte or tg4 or tv3 thank god :-)

Castlebellingham area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

Anyone lose any channels? had BBC1-4 until yesterday now they are blank screens retuned and now they are gone completely

Advertisement