Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC digital switchover

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭markc1184

Antibac wrote: »
    Anyone lose any channels? had BBC1-4 until yesterday now they are blank screens retuned and now they are gone completely

Started off with 83 channels, down to 61 now. Not all of which have perfect signal so some are unwatchable. All the BBCs still showing but are further down the listings now. Noticeable channels missing are, itv3, 5*, 5usa and some other random religion and shopping channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 arnold72

there is a box called tv star digitial terrestrial receiver , 52 euro grahms of monaghan, seen it eurotronics flyer 44 euro ,ebay 39 plus 10 delivery

Its a hd receiver picks up all the saorview plus the english as its mpeg 4 so all those new digital english come through, plus it takes a usb or hard drive for recording programmes plus it plays all formats of video if you dowonload movies etc it plays mkv files which is very rare the ps3 wont play them , so a good buy , so as good as multimedia player as well hdmi

also got word that from January all saorview boxes will have to be able pick up uk stuff ? why release it without it just another rip off , hope this helps . Dundalk area....

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭bnear

Arnold 72
    I like the sound of that box, where is Eurotronics ?

eurotronics i think the flyer is the drogheda shop but lallys is a eurotronics as well but dont know if they have it you can try , they might not be pushing it as its not one of these saorview approved money rackets but the quality is class hd box ,,,, ebay as well ,or the monaghan shop grahms

Thanks for that I'll have a look and see if they have it tomorrow.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

Got 1 in DID at 49.99

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Is anyone else having difficulties getting TV3 or C4 on Saorview/Freeview? ATM I'm having to re-tune them everyday! BTW everything else is coming in perfect.(In Dundalk)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Is anyone else having difficulties getting TV3 or C4 on Saorview/Freeview? ATM I'm having to re-tune them everyday! BTW everything else is coming in perfect.(In Dundalk)

I had to re-tune all my saorview channels yesterday but i think there was upgrade works on one of the transmitters recently....

good stuff antibac , will you tell how you get on with it so it doesnt look its just me pushing it , but you get a lot more than just a receiver , 50 euro is good , 44 eurotronics or 39 online with 10 delivery same thing ....
    also a digital / satellite combi receiver could be ok as well with recording they normally start about 80 euro ..

arnold72 wrote: »
    there is a box called tv star digitial terrestrial receiver , 52 euro grahms of monaghan, seen it eurotronics flyer 44 euro ,ebay 39 plus 10 delivery

Its a hd receiver picks up all the saorview plus the english as its mpeg 4 so all those new digital english come through, plus it takes a usb or hard drive for recording programmes plus it plays all formats of video if you dowonload movies etc it plays mkv files which is very rare the ps3 wont play them , so a good buy , so as good as multimedia player as well hdmi

also got word that from January all saorview boxes will have to be able pick up uk stuff ? why release it without it just another rip off , hope this helps . Dundalk area....[/QUOTE
    Got this box on Fri in Lallys for 50 euro, so far I'm only getting the irish channels, any suggestions, I will try deleting the memory and starting over and see if that helps...]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

bnear wrote: »
    also got word that from January all saorview boxes will have to be able pick up uk stuff ?

Current Saorview boxes can pick up standard definition UK channels (Freeview). But they can't pick up HD channels (Freeview HD).

Saorview uses the DVB-T/MPEG4 format. Freeview HD uses DVB-T2/MPEG4. From January Saorview boxes are meant to adhere to this format, so they should work with Saorview and Freeview HD if you are in range of a transmitter in NI.

So will the box I bought pick up uk channels in January or will I have to buy another one ???:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,359 ✭✭✭positron

I am still looking for that ultimate one box solution - something that can take the cable from dish on the wall (DVB-S2 tuner I think) to watch all the free channels the dish can get (it's a standard Sky dish with quad lnb) and also take the cable from the antenna on the roof (DBV-T2?) and can support both Saorview as well as "Freeview HD" with EPG etc, and has an internal hard disk or support for USB hard disk to record / time-shift everything.

Is there anything like this out there?

bnear wrote: »
    So will the box I bought pick up uk channels in January or will I have to buy another one ???:(

It will pick up the standard definition versions of UK channels now. If you don't want BBC1 NI, UTV etc in high definition you don't have to buy anything else.

Freeview broadcasts from Northern Ireland are now in their final post digital switchover configuration and will not change again. All thats changing in January are the required technical specs of the Saorview boxes themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

I used to be able to get the british channels but moved into drogheda and now can only get saorview. Pain in the ass.
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭blingrhino

I bought a new saorview tv end of october and had all the channels , then I had to reinstall on 7 th November and have lost all the bbc channels ???
    Dunleer area , surely the new saorview tv should pick theses up :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

SkyNews appears to have disappeared and doesn't seem to wanna come back...??

positron wrote: »
    I am still looking for that ultimate one box solution - something that can take the cable from dish on the wall (DVB-S2 tuner I think) to watch all the free channels the dish can get (it's a standard Sky dish with quad lnb) and also take the cable from the antenna on the roof (DBV-T2?) and can support both Saorview as well as "Freeview HD" with EPG etc, and has an internal hard disk or support for USB hard disk to record / time-shift everything.

Is there anything like this out there?

Hi Positron I mentioned this earlier and reckon i will go down the same route . you can have a combi box
    has aerial input for your terrestrial receiver / saorview / bbc etc
    also has satellite receiver input of your dish for all your free satellite stuff .
    This is what your asking I think , heres the link I found before , think they are reasonably priced
    This may even do more it says can be connected to internet ?
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Ferguson-Ariva-150-HD-Combo-Freesat-Saorview-Receiver-LATEST-MODEL-FULL-HD-/251093997242?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Satellite_TV_Receivers&hash=item3a765e56ba

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Synaps-TSHD-2870-Combo-Receiver-Free-UK-Channels-Irish-Saorview-1-Box-/261128131244?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Satellite_TV_Receivers&hash=item3ccc7312ac:)

I've had some blank channels appear overnight. Named as RTENL Test Service 1 through to 7. Any ideas what these might be for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

markc1184 wrote: »
    I've had some blank channels appear overnight. Named as RTENL Test Service 1 through to 7. Any ideas what these might be for?

Same here...I just re-scanned last night and it added these test channels and the BBC channels that I was missing

• Advertisement

RTENL are testing their second multiplex frequencies at transmitters around the country at the moment. For Clermont Carn (Dundalk) its UHF Channel 56 or 754 Mhz.

When/if HD versions of RTE1, TV3, TG4 etc launch there won't be enough bandwidth for all channels to stay on one frequency, so a second will be needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Renegade_Archer

The English channels in Drogheda were working grand there, but a few days ago just dropped off. Anyone else encountering that?

The English channels in Drogheda were working grand there, but a few days ago just dropped off. Anyone else encountering that?

The same happened mine after the test channels appeared. They came back yesterday afternoon though. Perhaps try a retune if you haven't already.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Renegade_Archer

markc1184 wrote: »
    The same happened mine after the test channels appeared. They came back yesterday afternoon though. Perhaps try a retune if you haven't already.

Thanks, will try that

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭kinvara64

Wishful thinking, but how far south does the signal go:D

Thanks, will try that

Any joy Renegade_Archer?

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

I've been back on the Satelite box these days as the English channels being picked up via TV ariel are pretty bad, constantly pixelated. Maybe it's all this mild weather we're having?!

Advertisement