Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7mm Rem Mag in LH action

Options
  • 10-10-2012 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

Looking for a second gun. Want 7mm rem mag in a LH action with synthetic stock preferable stainless fluted barrel 1:10 twist.

Its a long shot (pardon pun) but thought Id throw it out there.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Speaking as a sympathetic fellow lefty, your chances of getting a rifle to your specs second-hand are pretty slim. Your best bet, in my opinion, is to buy parts second-hand as you can, such as stocks, find a long action rifle of your choice to suit the stock and get it on the cheap and then just stick a 7mm mag barrel of your choice on it. That's what I'd do. If you talk to a gunsmith you're willing to work with, they might be able to help you out with the project as you go. You could buy in the barrel now and have them hold onto it so that your costs are relatively small as you go along for each stage. If you do manage to find a rifle or put one together, I'd love to see it sometime though. You can search auction sites like eGun, Gunbroker or Guntrader for rifles and parts in any case. Easiest to find will be a stock, and you can always buy an unused Remington action or similar and build on that as a basis for the whole system. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭emcor

Someone Pm'ed me about how difficult getting LH rifles are - which is pretty hard. And suggested building one.
    A quick look about parts and it looks like option. So here I'll lay this down as rough plan and see if you all can add/take from the plan;
    • Sako Action
    • Hart Barrel - 7mm Rem Mag 1:10 twist, standard fluting
    • Mc Millan stock (something like Weatherby Vanguard) - its a hunting rifle

Here is the thing - if you build it yourself how do you get a serial nr to get it licensed. Probably OK to buy the parts individually but what about proofing ? Is there any proper gunsmiths (not machinist) who could put this together, proofed and fully legit ? Ive seen the jobs some have had with threading and damage done. And what would they cost for this build.
    You would finish up with a massive custom gun for what looks like handy money ? Looks like a cool idea to build one

emcor wrote: »
    Someone Pm'ed me about how difficult getting LH rifles are - which is pretty hard. And suggested building one.
    A quick look about parts and it looks like option. So here I'll lay this down as rough plan and see if you all can add/take from the plan;
    • Sako Action

Here is the thing - if you build it yourself how do you get a serial nr to get it licensed. Probably OK to buy the parts individually but what about proofing ? Is there any proper gunsmiths (not machinist) who could put this together, proofed and fully legit ? Ive seen the jobs some have had with threading and damage done. And what would they cost for this build.
    You would finish up with a massive custom gun for what looks like handy money ? Looks like a cool idea to build one

Sako action is a great option. To my mind, you're best going with an older one like an L691. They're great quality, they're substantially cheaper than the likes of a 75 or an 85, and there are lots of aftermarket stocks available for them. I recall having heard of one in LH in .270 Win for sale a long time ago here but you might have to keep your eyes peeled. Of course, once it's in a long action, you're fine. There's a good bit of meat in a Sako boltface so opening it up from .473" to .532" for the magnum cartridge should be no bother.

The serial number is on the action, so that's what you need for the purposes of licensing. The gunsmith you use will be a firearms dealer and so can give you a bill of sale. They'll have to do the buying in for you in the first place to build the gun. You can't just buy the parts yourself (unless you buy the donor rifle first of course) and bring them to them to sort it out. Your gunsmith can sort proofing if you want. It's not a legal requirement here and will involve some roundabout shipping to the UK as we don't have our own proof house, but you can talk to them about your options.

The gunsmith I'd be talking to in your position is Fergal Whyte in Ireland Custom Rifle (link). He's spot on to talk to and I've got a project or two for him myself down the line. His work is excellent, and I've seen plenty of it at this stage to have a really high opinion of what he does, from small jobs like threading and crowning through to custom built rifles from the ground up. He puts all his energy and talent into each job.

As to cost, well, it'll depend on what you get the components for and what you need done really. Every project is different and you're best talking to someone like Fergal directly. It'd be hard even to give you a useful ballpark. It's not going to be as cheap as buying a factory rifle, more than likely, but you get exactly what you want, and it's not like there are too many readily available factory rifle options in 7mm Rem Mag anyway for left handers!

It sounds like a great gun you're putting together. I really like the sound of it myself. What length barrel are you going with?

decisions, decisions - not sure on length - depend on weight for me
    Want to avoid using a brake or can so probably tending for longer. Will be a trade off on the fluted barrel though. You're after planting a solid seed though. I'll give the guy a buzz; see if get a fix on budget - I'm off dreaming about fluted bolts etc......

If you can get the donor rifle for a reasonable price, you're golden. Like I say, you can buy in stages. If you come across a stock you like, buy it now, same for a scope. Get the dealer to buy in a barrel for you too. I agree on the barrel specs too. I'd be inclined to get the blank at least 26" and then finish to probably 25 or 26. In a .300 mag I'd go 24", but that's as short as I'd be comfortable with in a magnum cartridge. I'd say that while this will end up more expensive than just buying a factory rifle if you could find one, if you break down the costs and buy in stages, this will end up feeling very reasonable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

emcor wrote: »
    • Sako Action

Its stamped on the sako action already.

Fergal White is one person who is capable and competant at this work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

As another lefty, I faced a similar problem earlier this year. After considering almost every kind of rifle, from Blaser to Savage, I finally saw sense and just bought a brand new Tikka in the calibre I wanted, 30-06.
    If I was in your position I'd consider this rifle, and look at getting a PSE composite stock:

http://www.tikka.fi/t3models.php?hunterfb

It is a 9.5 twist in the 7mm rem mag, but I still think it might be your best bet.

I might also add: if you have a lot of cash to spend, speak to John Lambert in Camolin about HS Precision rifles. I have handled the light weight stalker in these and it is a real beauty. It wasn't right for me, as in the end I wanted a bit of timber, but it sounds like it would be perfect for your needs.

I think it was an SPL, not 100% sure though.

https://www.hsprecision.com/shop2/rifles/hunting-rifles-1.html

Thats a sexy rifle alright. Know John bought rifle from him few years ago and have referred several mates there since - all positive feedback, even with all the diesel of crossing the country

The rifle shown at 9:40 into this video is the line I am thinking http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AsjObzBsuY&feature=youtube

One of those stage would be nice too...

Spoke to the gunsmith referred above today and came up with a budget, about 1K cheaper than a new blazer and half the cost of the Lazzeroni I'm defiantly looking further at it. Bit I don't like is that he buys all the parts. I reckon I could take another €1K off it buying direct and having it fitted/assembled...:)

Also H - Yep +1 on that above. I have a T3 in .270 LH and its sound as a pound, bomb proof and accurate as hell. It gets a lot of abuse too and not a bother. Need a second rig too though...

• Advertisement

Sounds to me like you definitely need to drop into John and handle one of the light weight HS rifles he has!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/16FLHSS

review here
    http://www.biggamehunt.net/reviews/savage-accustock-weather-warrior-review

You could get a dealer to order a left handed Savage.............I did it with a .22LR and he had it very quickly.

Here's a Sako L691 lefty rifle in Scotland. It's in .270, but a gunsmith would open the bolt face and install a new barrel.

MacLeod's.

Here's a Sako L691 lefty rifle in Scotland. It's in .270, but a gunsmith would open the bolt face and install a new barrel.

MacLeod's.

Stock is nice and has potential

Jonty wrote: »
    Stock is nice and has potential

Hate the stock myself, but you could do a lot worse for a donor gun. Stick that in an Edge fill McMillan Sako Classic, throw a 26" lightweight barrel on it and scope it with something nice like a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44 with a Z-800 reticle and you've got the hell of a long range gun in a package that should come to around eight or eight and a half pounds, slung and loaded, and won't kick you too badly. For a more universal rig, go 24" standard sporter weight and something like a 2.5-10x scope. Not much you couldn't do inside 600 yards on this planet with that rig!

each to his own eh? but I like your idea

Jonty wrote: »
    each to his own eh? but I like your idea

Yeah, I just have an abiding hatred of chunky stocks. I know plenty who love them, but they're not for me. Aside from the stock though, the idea of a 24-26" 7mm Rem slinging 160-175gr bullets as a go anywhere, do anything rig has a lot to be said for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Somebody looking for a 7mm Rem Mag Leftie?

I just had reason to call up Chris at Sportsmans Gun Centre who tell me that they can get one very quickly - although it IS in England.

Savage make a nice one with a whole spad of optional formats, including, of course, a LH action and stock.

Whoever you were, if you are still interested, he says to give him a call on 44-1392-354854.

Best

tac

Edit - Thanks, Mods, for moving this for me. Much obliged.

Advertisement