Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help?!?, Trying to convert an old Eircom router into an Access Point (With UPC)

• 10-10-2012 3:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

A little info first but the general story is, my room has a very weak WiFi signal. The walls are so thick I'm lucky if I can load boards. The main UPC router is on the other side of the house but it can't be moved as its connected to the cable box.

I bought a long Ethernet Cable so i connected the old Eircom Router (LAN Port) to the UPC router. I disabled the DHPC server on the old one and assigned an IP address of 192.168.1.2 (While the UPC Router having 192.168.1.1) I also changed the SID and Security WPA to the same as the UPC router so i can easily switch between the two. Am i missing anything?

The problem is that the WiFi connection keeps dropping, it drops on my android phone , iPad and laptop so i know its the router. If i try to reconnect on the laptop it gives me a message something similar to this message
    windows-was-unable-to-connect-to-this-network_thumb.png,

I've also assigned a different SID, restarted the routers but the problem is still there.

Any Ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

What about the WiFi channels?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,475 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yeah, you need the same SSID, and the same WPA password but different channels on each. You should then be able to roam between the two networks seamlessly.

Advertisement