Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To people are using/have used crutches.

Options
  • 10-10-2012 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

I am in the process of redesigning the crutch for my final year project in Product and Technology Design. I'm looking for people to tell me of their personal experiences with the crutches provided by the HSE or crutches they have purchased themselves.

If it would be possible to list out some of the problem areas you encountered while using crutches or have any ideas on how you would improve them it would be very helpful.

An example would be:

• I find it hard to get in and out of cars due to the design of the crutches
    • I am unable to carry any personal luggage while using crutches
    • I have wrist pain due to the design of the crutches
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

I would imagine that redesigning a straight piece of aluminium is like redesigning the wheel ;) My biggest problem with crutches is not being able to attach them onto the back of my wheelchair. The handle is the biggest problem for most other people, without exception everybody Ive ever seen who is not used to using crutches puts socks on the handle because they are so uncomfortable. If you need a guinea pig to try out your design PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

marwelie wrote: »
    I would imagine that redesigning a straight piece of aluminium is like redesigning the wheel ;) My biggest problem with crutches is not being able to attach them onto the back of my wheelchair. The handle is the biggest problem for most other people, without exception everybody Ive ever seen who is not used to using crutches puts socks on the handle because they are so uncomfortable. If you need a guinea pig to try out your design PM me.

While using a 'standard' fold up wheelchair, and wishing to bring crutches with me, I made a small 'mod' which solved the problem .....

two short lengths of plastic pipe, drilled near one end, so that they slipped onto the bars at the rear which are designed for use by the foot of the person pushing, when tilting the chair.
    A tie-wrap on each to keep them upright, and the crutches slip into the pipes and remain available and out of the way.

In answer to the original question ..... like most I found the handles and sometimes their angle to be a problem. It would be useful if there was some slight adjustment available ....

The biggest problem though is trying to find real 'anti-slip' feet for the crutches.
    As anyone who has had to use crutches on smooth tiles, as found in most hotel lobbies, they are extremely dangerous in damp and wet conditions.

Solve that problem and you will have done a real service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

I found using the crutches difficult because
    When I rested them against a wall I would struggle to be able to pick them back up.
    The handles should have some type of gel on them as they hurt your hand . When you rest them against something they slid ,there is no was of putting them down without them falling .design is PLAIN and it's difficult to tell which is your when your in a waiting room full of crutches users . If I was shopping I could use the shopping trolly to help me walk but I would have to put the crutches in the trolly. There you go, an edited for correct spelling post .It makes more sence now.If you need any more help pm me:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

When I was about six years old I broke my leg. mM plaster used to just end up cracking because I used to walk on it instead of using crutches the whole time.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭meg3178

Crutches should have padded supports around the arm, as the user needs to wear sleeves otherwise.
    The handles should be more angled, consist of the exterior having a gel or memory foam cushioning and then covered with a pop on removable, washable cover.
    The base of the crutches should have feet with a rough, teeth like rubber, which is tough enough to last six weeks and the user given two spare ones.
    They should come in various multi colours for unisex use.
    A small velcro strap attached could hold the crutches together when not in use and can then hook onto something to stop them from falling to the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

beer is my crutch

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The biggest problem though is trying to find real 'anti-slip' feet for the crutches.
    As anyone who has had to use crutches on smooth tiles, as found in most hotel lobbies, they are extremely dangerous in damp and wet conditions.

Solve that problem and you will have done a real service.

You can buy anti slip devices for crutches (my physio told me about these:) )

I've crutches that rather than going around your whole arm, support the back of your arm, so if god forbid you fall you are not encased in them.

Hmm, mine are that design but without anti slip or replacement grips! That site actually offers a lot, I could buy a pair of crutches there with replacement ferrules (bottom grips) and save a fortune!
    I don't have a problem with the pressure on my hands, I actually dislike the padding as I've tried that.
    You can however get these
    or these
    One thing that would be great would be when you are e.g. standing to pay for something at a shop, being able to have something that would support the crutches while you temporarily lean against something else, nothing worse than them falling to the ground :(

I use a backpack to carry stuff. Attachments on the crutches that would help carry stuff would be great, I have found the arms great for hanging clothes off by the hanger!

@ cathy, I wondered about putting them in a shopping trolley as otherwise I find shopping a nightmare, might try that thanks.

For those of you who use crutches long term, you need to check regularly that the bottom is not worn, mine last on average a month, and then I've to shell out for new ones, so I'm not dependingn on "bald tyres" so to speak

Mine are also coloured, I've had black, grey and red crutches

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Stheno,
    I don't think I will be venturing on ice using the crutches .... otherwise those things look like they would make a great weapon! :D
    Not suitable for indoors .... or on tiles!

The 'better' foot grips for crutches have a metal insert .... a large washer ... which prevents the metal of the crutch cutting into the rubber. Those without this 'washer' are useless IMO.

BTW, I tried hanging stuff off the crutches ..... too dangerous! It unbalances the crutch and placement when moving is not as accurate as it needs to be.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Stheno,
    I don't think I will be venturing on ice using the crutches .... otherwise those things look like they would make a great weapon! :D
    Not suitable for indoors .... or on tiles!

The 'better' foot grips for crutches have a metal insert .... a large washer ... which prevents the metal of the crutch cutting into the rubber. Those without this 'washer' are useless IMO.

BTW, I tried hanging stuff off the crutches ..... too dangerous! It unbalances the crutch and placement when moving is not as accurate as it needs to be.

Yeah I literally hung the stuff off the crutch (two shirts) in an emergency. I then wobbled to the checkout and the staff offered to take stuff out for me (have to appreciate good service)

Backpack is the only way to go.

There actually seems to be nothing readily available for smooth/slippy surfaces, I searched at length.

We get any snow/ice I won't be going anywhere!

Hmm for lower leg injuries (if you can bend your knee)

I walk free crutch

And for wet/slippy surfaces

Same on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Hi-Trac-Industries-Rain-Guard-Non-Slip-Crutch/dp/B0083K1OQI

My biggest issue with crutches is not being able to carry anything if I think about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭SunDog

beer is my crutch
    Come on, back to AH:D

Advertisement