Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netting to cover cabbage plants

Options
  • 10-10-2012 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭

I don't want to feed the pidgeons like I did last year :eek:

What do other people use as netting to protect cabbage and other plants from birds? And is there anywhere one can buy it cheaply by the metre? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭zombiepaw

Here are a couple of options, with links:
    Mesh Netting plant protection from Enviromesh
    Butterfly and Bird netting
    Also here are some easy net tunnels for about €20
    All from the same site. you could also try a local gardening store as they might sell netting by the metre.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭The Garden Shop

You can buy garden netting in a range of sizes, get one that fits over your entire crop or vegetable plot

Garden netting can protect crops against caterpillar damage too.

Enviromesh is great for protect against carrot fly but is not the best option for bird control

Another option would be using mini polytunnels or garden cloches.
    These protect against a range of pests and allow you to grow and over winter crops such as:
    spring cabbage
    Peas
    Broad beans
    Lettuce

Lastly CD, Cassette tape, and other scaring devices work to scare birds away for a while so they should be consider too

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

netting is the only sure method.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

You can buy garden netting in a range of sizes, get one that fits over your entire crop or vegetable plot

Any suggestions as to where I can buy it by the metre rather than in pre-packed sizes?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭The Garden Shop

Unfortunately not

The smallest i know of would be 2m X 10m

• Advertisement
Advertisement