Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to serve pasta with?

Options
  • 10-10-2012 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭

Hi people, I have recently got a flair for wanting to cook more and having tried pasta the other week I really enjoyed it and went to buy some to cook for myself. My only issue is, what would be a good dish/food to serve pasta with? I have had a plate of pasta on its own but found it quite a dull dish on its own. If you have any suggestions on what pasta would go well with then I would like hear them.

Thanks in advance. :D

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Anything. Literally anything. Cream or tomato sauces are most common, you can add vegetables, red meat, white meat, seafood, shellfish, cheese...

Had you really never eaten pasta before?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Faith wrote: »
    Anything. Literally anything. Cream or tomato sauces are most common, you can add vegetables, red meat, white meat, seafood, shellfish, cheese...

Had you really never eaten pasta before?

Only once a few years back and I wasnt mad about it but Im more adventureous now and I enjoy wholemeal pasta, its just serving suggestions Im after, thanks for the tips, I will have mince and pasta next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

1000's of Pasta recipes here: http://italian.food.com/recipes/pasta

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

thanks for the tips, I will have mince and pasta next time.

If you're having pasta with mince, there are recipes for bolognese (mince in tomato sauce) here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055274445

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

^ Thanks very much for the recipes, people, they should keep me busy, and Ill be back if I need any more tips. Im new to this cooking malarkey ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

^ Thanks very much for the recipes, people, they should keep me busy, and Ill be back if I need any more tips. Im new to this cooking malarkey ;)

We all start somewhere. If you get into cooking and enjoy it then you will become obsessed, trust me. :) As the others pointed out, pasta is so versatile and goes with almost anything. As such, I'd have a think about what flavours you like already and then maybe think about adapting them to suit?

Also, make it easy for yourself. Don't go tackling something really ambitious when only starting out or it may discourage you if it doesn't work out - cooking is all about trial and error and literally having a "feel" for what you're cooking. Also, personally speaking I think wholewheat pasta is not one of the nicer pastas but that's all down to personal taste. So for something really quick, easy and simple to get you started I would recommend something like this:

Put on your pasta. Put on another pan while the pasta cooks and add a couple of tablespoons of olive oil to this second pan. Add a couple of cloves of garlic (chopped finely) and onion (chopped finely). Let these soften in the pan on a medium heat for about five minutes. Don't let them go brown or they'll taste ming, just soft. Then add some chopped tomatoes from a tin and let this simmer on a low heat. In a separate pan, add a wee bit of butter. Add in some finely diced smoked bacon. Clonakilty do nice Oak Smoked rashers which are lovely. Fry these pieces up and when almost cooked add some finely sliced mushrooms to the smoked bacon. When nicely cooked, add these to your original pan of tomato sauce. Simmer on a low heat for a few mins. Drain pasta and spoon over your sauce. Delish and done in less than 15 minutes.

Advertisement