Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How on earth do i insulate this?

• 10-10-2012 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

I would be grateful for some advice - this is looking back at the upstairs bedroom wall from the attic space above the kitchen. I am losing a lot of heat through the uninsulated plasterboard wall into the cold attic space.

Sure there is an answer but given that there are no joists etc to wedge the insulation between i would like to know whats the best way to insulate this - access is via a small hatch so cant do big boards etc.

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I would be grateful for some advice - this is looking back at the upstairs bedroom wall from the attic space above the kitchen. I am losing a lot of heat through the uninsulated plasterboard wall into the cold attic space.

Sure there is an answer but given that there are no joists etc to wedge the insulation between i would like to know whats the best way to insulate this - access is via a small hatch so cant do big boards etc.

Thanks

A sheet or 2 of Kinspan/Xtratherm 8 x 4 insulation board cut to the shape and size of that perhaps.Then tape up any joins with air tightness tape perhaps..

Or you could spray foam it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭flintash

paddy147 wrote: »
    In the second picture- where the foam come from ? Pumped under floors? sorry, if this is very silly question :D

flintash wrote: »
    In the second picture- where the foam come from ? Pumped under floors? sorry, if this is very silly question :D

Yes,the foam was sprayed in floor void and also into internal partition wall voids.

It was then cut back flush and skirting fitted.Also cut back flush and partition walls slabbed out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭chris445

what is this foam? Is it just a normal expanding foam or does it allow air to pass through it. If it doesn't allow airflow i would be calling the company back immediately to remove it. If the timber underneath isn't able to 'breathe' you will have big trouble wit dry rot, especially in that attic space.

• Advertisement

chris445 wrote: »
    what is this foam? Is it just a normal expanding foam or does it allow air to pass through it. If it doesn't allow airflow i would be calling the company back immediately to remove it. If the timber underneath isn't able to 'breathe' you will have big trouble wit dry rot, especially in that attic space.

Bio-Foam Open Cell 800.

It breathable.

The attic spaces were fitted out with vent cards too,then the foam was sprayed on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭chris445

Never seen this job done before. I've heard of it but was wary of the lack of airflow. Looks like it could be a good solution to a lot of insulation problems.

chris445 wrote: »
    Never seen this job done before. I've heard of it but was wary of the lack of airflow. Looks like it could be a good solution to a lot of insulation problems.

Vent cards fitted before attic is spray foamed.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭dugger

How much would it cost per square metre of Attic space, (same as photo) and how much for wall cavaity per square metre?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

paddy147 wrote: »

Wow! looks effective alright.
    Is it a pricey solution?

• Advertisement

I think it was around 20-22 euro a square meter to have done (that was around 18 months ago now).
    Dont quote me on that though,as I dont have the exact figure to hand.

The insulation is a mixture of chemicals that is heated up to around 50 degreesC and then its pumped in liquid/spray form into the house.It rapidly expands to around 150 times its spray on size and sets in around 20 seconds.Its soft to the touch and when you break it open,its very spongey inside.

Its nothing like expanding foam that you get in a can for a tenner in a diy store.

Also,for the record.........Ive absolutely no link to any of the companies that I have named or showed in the past,just a happy "joe soap" customer,and nothing more.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Simple option

Battons screwed to the plasterboard from the inside. Filled with insulation then overscrewed with more plaster board... or marine ply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

How do you know its not insulated in the stud wall already??

Thats said, more insulation is never bad.

Advertisement