Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build, opinions.

Options
  • 10-10-2012 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭

How do lads. This is my first pc build thats coming outa my pocket so need to get this right. i suppose the key ting that needs to know is this needs to run Mac OS ML, I need access to xcode so there no choice there. Heres what im thinking, all prices from dabs.

Gigabyte Z77, ga-z77z-ups-th €280
    Intel core i7 3770K €340
    EVGA GeForce GTX680 € 500
    Corsair hydro C100 €110
    Corsair 800 watt GS €105
    Corsair 600T midtower, think its special edition, white €180
    Ram(undecided on brand) 16gb €100ish
    intel 120gb 330 series SSD €125
    Seagate barracuda 2tb €90

Kinda what im at so far. Seems to be compatible going by tonyMac. Opinions much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Do you actually need a motherboard that's that expensive, or the CPU or the graphics card? I presume you're running windows as well if you want to make full use of the graphics card.

Are you planning SLI since you've chosen a PSU far above your needs?

I'd go for Samsung 830 or Crucial M4 128GB SSDs instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Monotype wrote: »
    Do you actually need a motherboard that's that expensive, or the CPU or the graphics card? I presume you're running windows as well if you want to make full use of the graphics card.

Are you planning SLI since you've chosen a PSU far above your needs?

I'd go for Samsung 830 or Crucial M4 128GB SSDs instead.

Yeah i'll be running windows 90% of the time and doing a fair bit of gaming. Yeah I will SLI in the future but dont have the cash for another card at the moment. Sound will have a look t those ssd's now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Where are you buying? Also, do you actually have any need for the hyper-threading in the 3770K over the 3570K? Bear in mind that this is no advantage in games and will only be useful if you do a lot of encoding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Monotype wrote: »
    Where are you buying? Also, do you actually have any need for the hyper-threading in the 3770K over the 3570K? Bear in mind that this is no advantage in games and will only be useful if you do a lot of encoding.

Dont know yet, gonna get a my parts list completed and they shop for the best prices I dont know where the best place to go. Well i'll be doing alot of transcoding on the fly aside from that just multimedia work. Like if there not to much of a diff i might drop down obviously as long as it dont cause issues for the mac side of things

• Registered Users Posts: 7,443 ✭✭✭tritium

I'm not an expert (and will happily defer to monotype and the other regular experts on this forum) but your initial build look like it's specced against a hackintosh mac pro equivalent. Unless you want to work in that high spec ( and slightly outdated) space you may not need the spec you've listed. Have a look at the specs of the current mac range and you'll see what I mean

• Advertisement
Advertisement