Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

British PM: Britain is "still the greatest country on earth"

• 10-10-2012 6:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭

So says the current British Prime Minister, David Cameron, today. He went on about how Britain has "the finest head of state on earth". The British also apparently "invented the computer" and they apparently also "defeated the Nazis". And other shíte in a similarly nauseous vein.

The embarrassment. The recession must be biting when the flag-waving xenophobia is back à la Thatcher during the Malvinas. Last refuge of a scoundrel....

1) By any standard, Britain is not "the greatest country in the world", even allowing for the subjective stupidity of such a claim being made by any country. Just what is it a world leader in? IT? Car manufacturing? Environmental innovation? Medical Science? What does it produce, other than overpaid members of the financial services industry in London? If any country is something as conceited as "the greatest country in the world" it's the most innovative one which is leading the technological revolution of the past 4 decades, the United States.

2) The British head of state is an unelected, sectarian monarch who would not have that position if she were, say, Catholic. She has it for two reasons: first, because the British state gives the highest position in its supposedly democratic society in 2012 to somebody because of their birth by blood and connections. Second, because the person is not a Roman Catholic and is an Anglican.

3) Somebody should tell this man (and several other non-British people) that Britain invented the computer. Really, this plebeian "land of Hope and Glory" appeal is embarrassing for any thinking person.

4) So the British believe they "defeated the Nazis"? Cringe. Somebody should tell the Russians that the British "defeated the Nazis". Some 40,000 - 60,000 British died in the Battle of Britain. Some 20 million Russians and other Soviet citizens died in WW II. But amazingly it was Britain, and not the Russians facing 3 million Nazi soldiers on their soil, who "defeated the Nazis". Just what sort of fantasy world do British people live in that they'd believe this nonsense from Cameron about Britain's role in WWII?

Just what is the educational level of the average British person that David Cameron is appealing to here?

PS: Cameron also reckoned that the British always "pay their way". Hello? Did I just imagine that they, er, robbed around 25% of the entire planet during the past four centuries? This "black really is white" distortion of language reminds me of a few scenes in Nineteen Eighty-Four.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Breaking News: British Prime Minister promotes Britain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Jesus, the obsession some people have with the Brits is just nuts. Move on ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Ah shur we're all proud of our own. My mammy is the best mammy in the world too.

It would be worse if he didn't say it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Thinly veiled attempt by Cameron to appear all Boris-like.

Boris could get away with saying this, Cameron cannot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Who gives a fuck what that knob says?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Be a bad game of cricket if the British pm didn't praise his own country.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

Feel better now op?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

What's the big deal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Seanchai wrote: »
    So says the current British Prime Minister, David Cameron, today. ......

Don't be trolled by a Tory, particularily when he's only winding up the grassroots rabble for a big love fest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

They never joined the euro so they must be up there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Sure im the best driver in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

Great Britain, eh?

Mediocre Britain at best, and I base this solely on Street Wars & programs with Ross Kemp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Britain is a country now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Me arse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Slurryface

So says the current British Prime Minister, David Cameron, today. He went on about how Britain has "the finest head of state on earth". The British also apparently "invented the computer" and they apparently also "defeated the Nazis". And other shíte in a similarly nauseous vein.

The embarrassment. The recession must be biting when the flag-waving xenophobia is back à la Thatcher during the Malvinas. Last refuge of a scoundrel....

1) By any standard, Britain is not "the greatest country in the world", even allowing for the subjective stupidity of such a claim being made by any country. Just what is it a world leader in? IT? Car manufacturing? Environmental innovation? Medical Science? What does it produce, other than overpaid members of the financial services industry in London? If any country is something as conceited as "the greatest country in the world" it's the most innovative one which is leading the technological revolution of the past 4 decades, the United States.

2) The British head of state is an unelected, sectarian monarch who would not have that position if she were, say, Catholic. She has it for two reasons: first, because the British state gives the highest position in its supposedly democratic society in 2012 to somebody because of their birth by blood and connections. Second, because the person is not a Roman Catholic and is an Anglican.

3) Somebody should tell this man (and several other non-British people) that Britain invented the computer. Really, this plebeian "land of Hope and Glory" appeal is embarrassing for any thinking person.

4) So the British believe they "defeated the Nazis"? Cringe. Somebody should tell the Russians that the British "defeated the Nazis". Some 40,000 - 60,000 British died in the Battle of Britain. Some 20 million Russians and other Soviet citizens died in WW II. But amazingly it was Britain, and not the Russians facing 3 million Nazi soldiers on their soil, who "defeated the Nazis". Just what sort of fantasy world do British people live in that they'd believe this nonsense from Cameron about Britain's role in WWII?

Just what is the educational level of the average British person that David Cameron is appealing to here?

PS: Cameron also reckoned that the British always "pay their way". Hello? Did I just imagine that they, er, robbed around 25% of the entire planet during the past four centuries? This "black really is white" distortion of language reminds me of a few scenes in Nineteen Eighty-Four.
    What a smallminded , petty, and begrudging post.
    You need a lot more salt and vinegar for that bag of chips on your immature shoulder.

Banned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Sure everyone knows the USA is "the greatest country on earth" :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

Sure the Brits were valuable as a staging point for the yanks, but they got a hiding in France and if the Germans had been more aggressive they could of massacred them at Dunkirk, very lucky boys that they got away!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Slurryface wrote: »
    What a smallminded , petty, and begrudging post.
    You need a lot more salt and vinegar for that bag of chips on your immature shoulder.

who carries a bag of chips on their shoulder, sure that would destroy your clothes, never mind the more salt and vinegar.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,407 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Oh boo hoo, how dare he be postive or patriotic about the nation he happens to be leader of, has nobody told him about the 800 years of oppression?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

and my ma jumped into David Hasselhofs Car

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭RADIUS

I like Britain and Camerons a good PM. Fair play to him.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Well if you're a fan of monarchy and the queen, then it's fair enough to say that you think she's the greatest head of state on earth. And lots of computer scientists integral to the creation of the computer were British; Alan Turing, Charles Babbage etc. And they did defeat the Nazis in some battles, if not the entire world war. As it's name implies, world war II was a group effort.

So he's pointing out that, in some areas, Britain has done some significant things. What's wrong with that? If that leads him to believe that Britain is the greatest nation on earth then fair enough, what do you expect him to say, 'Britain is pretty OK I guess'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

all countries suck, just some more than others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

The prime minister is misinformed. Every knows the greatest country on Earth is the Democratic People's Republic of Korea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I think we need an annual Boards.Ie ranking of the best countries.

For me, it's a toss up between China and USA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Difference_engine

Thank you and good night.

800 years, something about Irish, Black and Tans, cricket is boring etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Britain is a country now?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭DonLimon

That's an abacus buddy, was the first man to tie a piece of string between two cans inventor of the telephone as well?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

At least we have the title of being.. the best small country in the world in which to do business. If you don't believe me just ask Enda Kenny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

DonLimon wrote: »
    That's an abacus buddy, was the first man to tie a piece of string between two cans inventor of the telephone as well.

There's a few differences (ho ho) between that an an abacus. For one, an abacus doesn't output the resultant of a polynomial function to 30 places. Yes, it's hand operated, but it was designed to do complex *computations*, as modern *computers* do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭RADIUS

Well if it wasn't for a British man there would be no WWW.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

isn't alan turing thought to be the father of the modern computer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭petersburg2002

Whatever about our past history, we have more in common with Britain than any other country in Europe. And let's face it British History is like a Who's Who of inventors, scientists etc.

And yes the Russian army and brave civilians helped win the War, but the Germans did get their asses kicked in the Battle of Britain, in North Africa etc. Give credit where credit is due.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭stevedublin

MadsL wrote: »
    Sure everyone knows the USA is "the greatest country on earth" :pac:

nope, its China!
    :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

im only after watching this on ch4 news.
    pretty desperate speech and slightly worrying was the look on the faces in the conference.
    they all seemed to lap it up , nodding and smiling knowingly :)
    suppose it was their annual conference
    strange days indeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Probably not the responses you were looking for Seanchai, old bean.

Get the chip off your shoulder and get on with worrying about your own "best little country in the world" before worrying about Britain.

The constant bashing is tiresome, repetitive, odious and reeks of an inferiority complex.

News flash: British people are proud to be British and for the most part either don't know or really don't care about your "800 years". It's a side note in British history.

Also, do try and research your posts better.

Report card: D- could do better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

TODAY'S HEADLINE: Conservative Prime Minister expresses conservative sentiments at Conservative Party conference.

IN OTHER NEWS: Millions cease to be amazed as Wednesday follows Tuesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

id say cameron came out with this as a way of buttering up the british public for harsh austerity

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Horslip

I think I finally gave up my childhood admiration for Britain, gained from reading the Victor, Hotspur, Hornet ect..,
    when I watched members of their army verbally abuse an elderly lady on the Falls road in Belfast, because she remonstrated with them for kicking the living ****e out of a fifteen year old schoolboy, who refused to accede to their puerile demands to sing "God save the Queen."
    This would have been around 1975.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

He's wrong.Ireland is the greatest country on earth.

not the biggest or the richest, but reasonably safe, very few natural disasters or plaques to worry about. No hurricanes or tsunamis.Good education and health services.

The beer sucks though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭petersburg2002

corktina wrote: »
    He's wrong.Ireland is the greatest country on earth.

not the biggest or the richest, but reasonably safe, very few natural disasters or plaques to worry about. No hurricanes or tsunamis.Good education and health services.

The beer sucks though

And dont forget, no snakes, poisonous spiders or other nasty critters. And I've yet to meet a cockroach, although people say they exist here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

And dont forget, no snakes, poisonous spiders or other nasty critters. And I've yet to meet a cockroach, although people say they exist here?

they do...they are all in the Dail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Dey tuk ur potatoes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Looks at watch.

Is it poppy-thread time yet?:confused:

:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Horslip wrote: »
    I think I finally gave up my childhood admiration for Britain, gained from reading the Victor, Hotspur, Hornet ect..,
    when I watched members of their army verbally abuse an elderly lady on the Falls road in Belfast, because she remonstrated with them for kicking the living ****e out of a fifteen year old schoolboy, who refused to accede to their puerile demands to sing "God save the Queen."
    This would have been around 1975.
    What a load of ****. The only time the brits were on the falls was in an armoured convoy for fear of being shot. Standing around making school boys sing god save the queen ffs.

On topic. Leader of the British people telling other brits how great they are, vomit inducing? mabey, surprising? Hardly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Internet Republican unhappy that British Prime Minister talks up Britain. We'll have the full story after the sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

Great Britain....Greatest oxymoron ever!

Cameron should step into the underbelly of society in GB to see what a large part of the population live like, for every gold medal there is a 1000 illiterate people with no hope in this life time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I'll have a pint of bitter & twisted please barman, and be quick about it, oh and a packet of Taytos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I'll have a pint of bitter & twisted please barman, and be quick about it, oh and a packet of Taytos.

Certainly better to glam over the facts and live in denial, ill have a pink lemonade please.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement