Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

British PM: Britain is "still the greatest country on earth"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

mike65 wrote: »
    You are you appealing to?

To whom am I appealing? To all the nationalistic people like FrattonFred, Summerskin, LordSutch and so on who get really, really, really upset when this entire "Britain is so superior"/"The British Empire was a positive civilising influence on the world"/"We've been fighting terrorism in Ireland for centuries"/"Britain always opposed fascism and never collaborated with fascists" (etc) revisionism and plain lies are challenged. There are far too many people here of the John Bull jingoistic type.

Just for the record, here are some of those photos of the leaders of the Royal British Legion (or "British Legion" as it was known until 1972) meeting Nazi leaders in Germany in 1938 where they offered to organise a volunteer army to fight with the Nazis in the Sudetenland. Here's that British Legion Police Force in 1938 (and some history). The Royal British Legion is, of course, the very organisation which organises Britain's poppy commemorations and would like to deny all of this rightwing British nationalist collaboration with Nazism and other fascists throughout the 1930s. The closet of the "We saved the world from fascism, while you Paddies sent condolences on Hitler's death" British - it's full of skeletons.

British Legion's Nazi trip revealed in archive photos

Tox56 wrote: »
    Would you describe yourself as having a "chip on your shoulder" with regards to the British?

No. Would you describe yourself as having a chip on your shoulder with regards to evaluating the British v. Russian roles in WWII impartially?

It is mere coincidence that people with their usernames and locations in Irish tend to talk about the British a lot.

Careful now, Tar.Aldarion, those prejudices of yours are showing again.

LordSutch wrote: »
    Well there'e no doubting that Great Britain is a great country

hehe. He's back, as regular as clockwork and with all the old classic lines.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

It's refreshing to see all the usual old faces who are quick to point the accusatory finger at Ireland's faults are quicker still to jump to the defence of Britain.

Good aul AH, for all it's many faults it never fails to entertain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Seanchai wrote: »

You have quoted one line (out of context), and talking of 'regular as clockwork' you Seanchai are as regular as clockwork with your deep hatred of Britain and the British people, and its all there for all to see!

Curious; Why the pure hatred Seanchai? what's your personal beef with the Brits?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

You have quoted one line (out of context), and talking of 'regular as clockwork' you Seanchai are as regular as clockwork with your deep hatred of Britain and the British people, and its all there for all to see!

Curious; Why the pure hatred Seanchai? what's your personal beef with the Brits?

In fairness, you yourself have a propensity to show up in these kind of threads threads.

Would be better for everyone if they were all ignored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Jesus life must tough carrying a chip the size of a boulder around with him all day. Nobody really gives a **** anymore about all this nationalist bull**** whether its Irish nationalism or British nationalism. Wish people like that would piss off and let everyone else get on with their lives. It's not like both countries for have enough economic problems to deal with that we also have to listen to crap like this.

karma_ wrote: »
    In fairness, you yourself have a propensity to show up in these kind of threads threads.

Would be better for everyone if they were all ignored.

I show up in many threads, from music to politics to all sorts, but Seanchai has a certain knack of getting the knife in to the Brits (every time), and as somebody who as lived and worked in Britain I am only too happy to have my say on subjects like this.

Sheer hatred. Nice try, Sutchy; any criticism of British xenophobes, Europhobes and anti-Irish jingoists must, of course, equal "hatred of Britain and the British people".

Very impressive debating skills, in a pitiful way.

• Advertisement

Sheer hatred. Nice try, Sutchy; any criticism of British xenophobes, Europhobes and anti-Irish jingoists must, of course, equal "hatred of Britain and the British people".

In fairness Seanchai, looking back over your posts you do have a reputation (and a big chip) as other posters keep pointing out.

In fairness Seanchai, looking back over your posts you do have a reputation (and a big chip) as other posters keep pointing out.

From the guy who lauds the British Empire, condemns the Irish resistance to British rule throughout the centuries as "terrorism", detests Irish-Ireland, writes paeans to Anglo-Ireland, hates the EU, celebrates the Black and Tans, Parachute Regiment and Auxies by wearing the British poppy every year, and so much else, I'll take this and anything else you can throw at me as a compliment.

From the guy who lauds the British Empire, condemns the Irish resistance to British rule throughout the centuries as "terrorists", hates the EU, celebrates the Black and Tans, Parachute Regiment and Auxies by wearing the British poppy every year, and so much else, I'll take this and anything else you can through at me as a compliment.

I don't hate the EU and I don't remember the Empire. Love Ireland, love the Irish (me being one of them) but I didn't agree with the IRA and I don't celebrate the parachute regiment either! The poppy discussion we can heve in a few weeks time. But you are sooo bitter Seanchai, what did they do to you? seriousy, why are you so bitter towards the Brits?

Back on Topic, I think Boris's speech was better (and funnier) :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Here we go again with the British nationalist propaganda machine. Those stats again: 20 million Russians/Soviet Union citizens died in WWII. 40,000-60,000 British people died in the air assault that was the Battle of Britain. This attempt to understate the magnitude of the Russian/Ukranian etc effort in WWII and overstate the British effort is typical of the most repellent of British nationalists.

The Battle of Britain was a picnic compared to the land assault on Russia by 3.9 million German/Axis soldiers in Operation Barbarossa June 1941. In a single battle, Stalingrad, approximately 1 million people died. In a single siege, Leningrad, approximately 750,000 people died.

There is no comparison between the Nazi war in the Soviet Union and the Nazi air assault on Britain during the Battle of Britain. World War II could not have been won without that incredible sacrifice by people in the Soviet Union. The same sacrifice was not made by the British. That the British are reluctant to acknowledge this truth is shown with their poppy war commemorations, which specifically only commemorate British Commonwealth forces.

The lack of thanks for your posts show how thick/brainwashed people are on here. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Freedom, enlightenment. A bulwark against totalitarianism. The list is long and good and outweighs any bad one you might produce. They are a great nation by any standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Dotsie~tmp wrote: »
    Freedom, enlightenment. A bulwark against totalitarianism. The list is long and good and outweighs any bad one you might produce. They are a great nation by any standard.

Who are you talking about?

The Brits didn't offer democracy, freedom, or enlightment to any country they occupied.

Rape and pillage was their motto.

Still is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

To whom am I appealing? To all the nationalistic people like FrattonFred, Summerskin, LordSutch and so on who get really, really, really upset when this entire "Britain is so superior"/"The British Empire was a positive civilising influence on the world"/"We've been fighting terrorism in Ireland for centuries"/"Britain always opposed fascism and never collaborated with fascists" (etc) revisionism and plain lies are challenged. There are far too many people here of the John Bull jingoistic type.

Just for the record, here are some of those photos of the leaders of the Royal British Legion (or "British Legion" as it was known until 1972) meeting Nazi leaders in Germany in 1938 where they offered to organise a volunteer army to fight with the Nazis in the Sudetenland. Here's that British Legion Police Force in 1938 (and some history). The Royal British Legion is, of course, the very organisation which organises Britain's poppy commemorations and would like to deny all of this rightwing British nationalist collaboration with Nazism and other fascists throughout the 1930s. The closet of the "We saved the world from fascism, while you Paddies sent condolences on Hitler's death" British - it's full of skeletons.

British Legion's Nazi trip revealed in archive photos

I'm a little confused. Are you criticising them for being nationalistic? Because if so, surely you see the irony in doing so when you're clearly very nationalistic yourself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Who are you talking about?

The Brits didn't offer democracy, freedom, or enlightment to any country they occupied.

Rape and pillage was their motto.

Still is.

Stop talking utter ****e. It's 2012 not 1812. And we are in Europe, not Syria. If anyone is wearing historical blinkers, it's you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 unemployedM0d

1) By any standard, Britain is not "the greatest country in the world", even allowing for the subjective stupidity of such a claim being made by any country. Just what is it a world leader in? IT? Car manufacturing? Environmental innovation? Medical Science? What does it produce, other than overpaid members of the financial services industry in London? If any country is something as conceited as "the greatest country in the world" it's the most innovative one which is leading the technological revolution of the past 4 decades, the United States.

Their history says otherwise. Would not say it's the greatest in the world, no country is. I am not not going to parade down the streets about the UK, as Ireland is my new home. but the fact is it once controlled 25% of the globe and holds the most inventions for any single country in the world. Finanacial capital of the world is no minor fact either.
    2) The British head of state is an unelected, sectarian monarch who would not have that position if she were, say, Catholic. She has it for two reasons: first, because the British state gives the highest position in its supposedly democratic society in 2012 to somebody because of their birth by blood and connections. Second, because the person is not a Roman Catholic and is an Anglican.

Ever heard of the Parliament of the United Kingdom? It is the supreme legal entity of the UK, and can overturn any law without input from either the Queen or the Courts. The Queen is merely a figurehead, Parliament is the absolute supreme entity of the UK. The Parliament of the UK has no limit on it's power, and could repeal every law in the country if it wanted to. Very few countries in the world have that power. Not even America. It could leave the EU in the morning if it wanted to.
    3) Somebody should tell this man (and several other non-British people) that Britain invented the computer. Really, this plebeian "land of Hope and Glory" appeal is embarrassing for any thinking person.

False. Charles Babbage and George Boole, professor at UCC, who were both English, invented the algorithms and foundations for modern computing. Long before the man you cite above. Mechanical computers long procede electronic versions. The theory is still the same. Theoretical Computing goes back much longer. America was also once a British Colony. Remember that?
    4) So the British believe they "defeated the Nazis"? Cringe. Somebody should tell the Russians that the British "defeated the Nazis". Some 40,000 - 60,000 British died in the Battle of Britain. Some 20 million Russians and other Soviet citizens died in WW II. But amazingly it was Britain, and not the Russians facing 3 million Nazi soldiers on their soil, who "defeated the Nazis". Just what sort of fantasy world do British people live in that they'd believe this nonsense from Cameron about Britain's role in WWII?

If it weren't for the British, you would be speaking German and living under a murderous nazi empire. Yes, the British were bastards to the Irish at specific intervals in time, but this extended to their own citizens who weren't rich plantation owners. but with the recent events in Ireland, I would question is this country really capable of self governance? And as to why most people can't speak Irish? Can't blame Britain, but diabolical Irish Schooling. 63 years of independence now, so it's not Britains fault the Irish can't speak their mother tongue, the Welsh and Scots, even the Manx don't have this problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

Playboy wrote: »
    Jesus life must tough carrying a chip the size of a boulder around with him all day. Nobody really gives a **** anymore about all this nationalist bull**** whether its Irish nationalism or British nationalism. Wish people like that would piss off and let everyone else get on with their lives. It's not like both countries for have enough economic problems to deal with that we also have to listen to crap like this.

I suppose I could be considered to be one of these Nationalist posters. Although like many Nationalist on this forum, I would argue that the perception of Nationalists is quite jaded on this forum.

Before taking an interest in forums and message boards, I must admit that I never really took a huge interest in the intricacies of Irish History or the Troubles in general. For someone who grew up in a staunchly Nationalist area (South Armagh), the Internet provided a magnificent forum for the entire spectrum of British and Irish Politics to convene and debate the very minutia of Culture, History and Politics.

As such, I've been given the opportunity to speak to members of the Orange Order, British Soldiers, and even members of the RUC; all people that I would never usually encounter in my daily life. By talking to these people I've gained a better understanding of what their perceptions and beliefs encompass, and I've been able to digest this information and use it to better determine what it is I actually believe in.

Irish Politics by it's very nature is a very emotive subject, as evidenced by these innumerable threads. It effectively tackles the very idea of what it means to be Irish or British; and as such, it can understandably inspire very passionate and often confrontational debates that bring into question many long held beliefs.

In short, I don't believe it's matter of a person having a chip on their shoulder when they feel the desire to dig into our shared past and reveal the many skeletons that are buried there, rather it's an overt example of the passion that the subject inspires.

I'm a little confused. Are you criticising them for being nationalistic? Because if so, surely you see the irony in doing so when you're clearly very nationalistic yourself.

Not in the slightest. Obviously, British nationalism is a nationalism based upon the subjugation of people outside Britain; British imperialism and the British Empire is the foundation stone of the British state. In obvious contrast, Irish nationalism is not based upon denying freedom to people beyond this country or on a myriad of dangerous national myths of superiority such as spouted by Cameron today, and Thatcher, Spenser and others in former times. Irish nationalism is about resisting jingoism. In contrast, without jingoism against peoples beyond Britain, British nationalism wouldn't know itself.

To equate Irish nationalism and its desire for freedom from British rule with British nationalism and its desire to prevent the freedom of people beyond Britain from British rule is akin to equating freedom with oppression, colonised with coloniser. It's patently silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

If it weren't for the British, you would be speaking Irish

FYP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

brummytom wrote: »
    Who gives a fuck what that knob says?

Not many, but he did start the thread so we ought to feign interest....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

And who was it who destroyed hundreds of years of irreplaceable and priceless Irish Historical records in the great fire at the Four Courts in 1922? Ah yes, it was the Irish themselves. Not a British gunboat in sight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

he must be having a laugh! hasnt he heard of kazakhstan?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Dotsie~tmp wrote: »

"Freedom" and "enlightenment" for who?

Outweighs the racist regimes in Uganda, Kenya, Burma, Sudan, Egypt, Sierra leone, China/Hong Kong, Burma, India, Aden, Cyrprus? The untold numbers massacred and disenfranchised? The subjugation of millions progress for a racist empires financial gain? My arse.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/oct/08/empire-torture-kenya-catastrophe-europe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

LATE EXTRA
    British Prime Minister David Cameron has been booked into The Priory Clinic by his worried family. Stress, overwork and an inability to recognise facts have been cited among other things.
    A spokesman said that drugs and not ECT would be tried first.

The Daily Getsmuchworse

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

So says the current British Prime Minister, David Cameron, today. He went on about how Britain has "the finest head of state on earth". The British also apparently "invented the computer" and they apparently also "defeated the Nazis". And other shíte in a similarly nauseous vein.

The embarrassment. The recession must be biting when the flag-waving xenophobia is back à la Thatcher during the Malvinas. Last refuge of a scoundrel....

1) By any standard, Britain is not "the greatest country in the world", even allowing for the subjective stupidity of such a claim being made by any country. Just what is it a world leader in? IT? Car manufacturing? Environmental innovation? Medical Science? What does it produce, other than overpaid members of the financial services industry in London? If any country is something as conceited as "the greatest country in the world" it's the most innovative one which is leading the technological revolution of the past 4 decades, the United States.

2) The British head of state is an unelected, sectarian monarch who would not have that position if she were, say, Catholic. She has it for two reasons: first, because the British state gives the highest position in its supposedly democratic society in 2012 to somebody because of their birth by blood and connections. Second, because the person is not a Roman Catholic and is an Anglican.

3) Somebody should tell this man (and several other non-British people) that Britain invented the computer. Really, this plebeian "land of Hope and Glory" appeal is embarrassing for any thinking person.

4) So the British believe they "defeated the Nazis"? Cringe. Somebody should tell the Russians that the British "defeated the Nazis". Some 40,000 - 60,000 British died in the Battle of Britain. Some 20 million Russians and other Soviet citizens died in WW II. But amazingly it was Britain, and not the Russians facing 3 million Nazi soldiers on their soil, who "defeated the Nazis". Just what sort of fantasy world do British people live in that they'd believe this nonsense from Cameron about Britain's role in WWII?

Just what is the educational level of the average British person that David Cameron is appealing to here?

PS: Cameron also reckoned that the British always "pay their way". Hello? Did I just imagine that they, er, robbed around 25% of the entire planet during the past four centuries? This "black really is white" distortion of language reminds me of a few scenes in Nineteen Eighty-Four.

As Arsene Wenger once said: , every manager (prime minister) thinks they Have the prettiest wife.

Living in the past I se Mr Cameron. No doubt it is a fine country, but you can't live on past glories. Time to reinvent again, which Britain is capable of doing.

I.am surprised that he did not mention world cup 1966

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

phoenix999 wrote: »
    And who was it who destroyed hundreds of years of irreplaceable and priceless Irish Historical records in the great fire at the Four Courts in 1922? Ah yes, it was the Irish themselves. Not a British gunboat in sight.

Hold on, British lent guns fired first into the four courts. British politicans forcing ,Collins hand to Get them out or Britain would be back, BRitish airplanes flying over the Dublin sky that day. Nope they had no hand in the event at all judge, none at all

I think Ireland have survived the loss of these documents which for most part were scattered in place like custom house too, which funny enough was brought down by the Irish.

The census are a loss, so to are some of the ancient manuscripts. But I can't see how our judicial judgments have destroyed us, or who paid what taxes in 1823

Tom Barry I think had a sense of exaggeration at times, but according to him he says that there were records of paid spies during the 1798 rebellion in the contents.

What I find funny about people like you who make th claims, maybe not you personally, but we have many treasures etc on display in our museums in Ireland. Can you say many bothered to glance at what we have already? Would you heck

Who has been to see the book of cells, the national museums or the cheater Beatty library?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

As Arsene Wenger once said: , every manager (prime minister) thinks they Have the prettiest wife.
    whereas some players think their team mates have the prettiest wife.

*cough Terry cough*

• Advertisement

They've had a great summer, it has to be said.

Good on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

K-9 wrote: »
    Land battles did involve more deaths then, bit like the battle of the Somme during WWI. Air raids tended to be more targetted, as I'm sure you'd know as you'd use Dresden against the British.

Aahh c'mere now K-9. I have nothing against Britain or British people (I'd say I have more British friends than all other foreign countries combined, my sister is married to an English chap, and all my nephews are English), but to call the fire-bombing of Dresden, (one of the most vindictive, ugly, war-crimes of modern times) an "Air-Raid" is a bit of a stretch, no?

Hold on, British lent guns fired first into the four courts. British politicans forcing ,Collins hand to Get them out or Britain would be back, BRitish airplanes flying over the Dublin sky that day. Nope they had no hand in the event at all judge, none at all

I think Ireland have survived the loss of these documents which for most part were scattered in place like custom house too, which funny enough was brought down by the Irish.

The census are a loss, so to are some of the ancient manuscripts. But I can't see how our judicial judgments have destroyed us, or who paid what taxes in 1823

Tom Barry I think had a sense of exaggeration at times, but according to him he says that there were records of paid spies during the 1798 rebellion in the contents.

What I find funny about people like you who make th claims, maybe not you personally, but we have many treasures etc on display in our museums in Ireland. Can you say many bothered to glance at what we have already? Would you heck

Who has been to see the book of cells, the national museums or the cheater Beatty library?

Must say, and I'm open to correction on this, as my Irish history isn't great, but I was pretty sure that the torching of The Public Records Office, was a childish act of petulant vandalism carried out by Rory O'Connor and his men when they knew they'd been defeated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 clonmacart

As a young man who spent the first half of his life in London & the latter in Ireland (Incl my 2nd & 3rd level education) I've had to quantify my dual heritage in certain ways..And in doing so I've come to the conclusion that there are two "Great Britains"...
    The one which was drawn in to sharp focus when I moved to Ireland (A place I consider my home...although the irony of being called an "English Cnut" by a man wearing a Man Utd shirt was never lost on me) was that of the British Empire which I have no love for (Or that of any empire for that fact) because it's based always on a type of racial or religious superiority and all the pretty nasty actions that entails (That piece on Kenya in the Guardian this week for example) and I think that not enough precedence is given to it in the British education system..
    The 'other' Britain is the actual British Isles itself which I believe I can hold alot of pride for..for one reason only - as mentioned in a previous post about all the scientific & artistic achievements - that it is and for along time was a place where freedom/tolerance of expression & thought were accepted and celebrated, I honestly don't believe there is a state around..or in the recent past which has had more freedom of thought & deed..
    Oh & BTW Cameroon or any eton schoolboy/girl do not and never will represent the vast majority of decent Brits..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

They've had a great summer, it has to be said.

Good on them.

Who? Consumers?
    Food prices are likely to rise after farmers in England and Wales reported poor harvests due to the rainy summer.

Wheat yields fell 14.1% this year on a five-year average to levels last seen in the late 1980s, according to a survey by the National Farmers' Union (NFU).

huffingtonpost.co.uk

London businesses from tourism?
    London suffers Olympics tourism slump

Some of London’s most high-profile attractions suffered one of their worst ever summers, despite the ‘Olympic’ boost previously predicted.

telegraph.co.uk

The UK taxpayer?

After shelling out up to $17Bn - hmmm...

... who exactly had a great year again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Snotzenfartz

BRITISH EMPIRE FTW!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭Feisar

Charles Babbage is English and credited with inventing the first computer, although it was mechanical.

First they came for the socialists...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

What the hell is the big deal here? Some people will use any excuse to take offence with regard to Britain. It's almost as if they realise that it's been x time since they had a good old rant on the matter, and rush to find an excuse. "British PM panders to base with Britain is great speech?? That's outrageous!!"

One can be against British imperialism without being so obviously anti-British. And before people object, I think that reacting with outrage to Cameron's claims illustrates an underlying anti-British bias.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Thank you for creating a thread just in mine and a few others honour Seanchai. Can I just say how much it has brightened up an otherwise grey and dreary Thursday morning.

It gives me great pleasure and an almost sense of superiority to know that the hatred and anger you have for Britain is eating away at you so much you have to create a troll/flaming thread to get it all out.

Just for you, here is something to stick on your wall. I thought it very appropriate that the words "John Bull" and "Bitter" are all in the one place
    http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRDRPZ49EHEHXKaXzFZg9wYNhqLCXJQ4KcXgV_PnvwwHA05GbUmne-7WkQ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Jaysus, it was a Tory party conference and, although Cameron knows full well that the British economy is in deep sh1t, he has to try and put a brave face on things and "rally the troops", telling them the kind of thing they lap up from the Daily Mail.:rolleyes:

Besides, he has to try and cover his back against the right-wing, populist nutter Boris Johnson.:)

Cameron knows how sincere Boris was in his fulsome praise of the "broom".

Indeed, if Boris had been Judas, he wouldn't only have kissed Jesus on the cheek - he'd probably have slipped him the tongue as well.;);)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Serious question here, do you think there is a British run forum where a group of Brits are getting their pantys in a bunch about what an Irish president is or has said positive about Ireland. If not, why? Is it insecurity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

What do the rabble in this thread think is the best country in the world then?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

venezuela or cuba probably

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Not in the slightest. Obviously, British nationalism is a nationalism based upon the subjugation of people outside Britain; British imperialism and the British Empire is the foundation stone of the British state. In obvious contrast, Irish nationalism is not based upon denying freedom to people beyond this country or on a myriad of dangerous national myths of superiority such as spouted by Cameron today, and Thatcher, Spenser and others in former times. Irish nationalism is about resisting jingoism. In contrast, without jingoism against peoples beyond Britain, British nationalism wouldn't know itself.

To equate Irish nationalism and its desire for freedom from British rule with British nationalism and its desire to prevent the freedom of people beyond Britain from British rule is akin to equating freedom with oppression, colonised with coloniser. It's patently silly.

So you can be proud to be Irish but we can't be proud to be British?

Possibly the most ridiculous post I have seen, but exactly the post I expected.

summerskin wrote: »
    Not in the slightest. Obviously, British nationalism is a nationalism based upon the subjugation of people outside Britain; British imperialism and the British Empire is the foundation stone of the British state. In obvious contrast, Irish nationalism is not based upon denying freedom to people beyond this country or on a myriad of dangerous national myths of superiority such as spouted by Cameron today, and Thatcher, Spenser and others in former times. Irish nationalism is about resisting jingoism. In contrast, without jingoism against peoples beyond Britain, British nationalism wouldn't know itself. To equate Irish nationalism and its desire for freedom from British rule with British nationalism and its desire to prevent the freedom of people beyond Britain from British rule is akin to equating freedom with oppression, colonised with coloniser. It's patently silly.
    So you can be proud to be Irish but we can't be proud to be British?
    Possibly the most ridiculous post I have seen, but exactly the post I expected.

It appears that Seanchai is telling us what we can and can't think, obviously.
    British nationalism no more involves subjugating people than Irish nationalism does bombing pubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

looksee wrote: »
    So you don't live there, you have no family there, how do you know so much about it that you can make such a confident statement?

Lived there for three years, know alot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Empire building is not a reason to hate a modern evolved nation, the only difference between say gb and Ireland was ability. These were barbaric times, if Ireland had the ability to kick britains ass and rule the seas and a good chunk of the globe they would have done so. Hating gb for its empire building days is like hating cave men for being rapists. Move by it and judge the u.k as it is today, still not perfect, or even the best, but at heart a evolved, modern, open and free country that is home to many, even more Irish then there is in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

gallag wrote: »
    Empire building is not a reason to hate a modern evolved nation, the only difference between say gb and Ireland was ability. These were barbaric times, if Ireland had the ability to kick britains ass and rule the seas and a good chunk of the globe they would have done so. Hating gb for its empire building days is like hating cave men for being rapists. Move by it and judge the u.k as it is today, still not perfect, or even the best, but at heart a evolved, modern, open and free country that is home to many, even more Irish then there is in Ireland.

So what do you blame todays illegal invadings and war on?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement