Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

British PM: Britain is "still the greatest country on earth"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

billybudd wrote: »
    gallag wrote: »
    Empire building is not a reason to hate a modern evolved nation, the only difference between say gb and Ireland was ability. These were barbaric times, if Ireland had the ability to kick britains ass and rule the seas and a good chunk of the globe they would have done so. Hating gb for its empire building days is like hating cave men for being rapists. Move by it and judge the u.k as it is today, still not perfect, or even the best, but at heart a evolved, modern, open and free country that is home to many, even more Irish then there is in Ireland.
    So what do you blame todays illegal invadings and war on?

The only war the UK is currently involved in is a un sanctioned mission. That is also the reason Ireland is involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

Horslip wrote: »
    I think I finally gave up my childhood admiration for Britain, gained from reading the Victor, Hotspur, Hornet ect..,
    when I watched members of their army verbally abuse an elderly lady on the Falls road in Belfast, because she remonstrated with them for kicking the living ****e out of a fifteen year old schoolboy, who refused to accede to their puerile demands to sing "God save the Queen."
    This would have been around 1975.

Inexplicably, some British people withdrew their childhood affection for Ireland following the heroic bombings of Birmingham, Guildford, Warrington, etc.
    The Warrington one being particularly gruesome, where 12 year old Tim Parry and 3 year old Johnathan Ball were slaughtered, like dogs in the street, for being part of the British War Machine, eh, obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Empire building is not a reason to hate a modern evolved nation, the only difference between say gb and Ireland was ability. These were barbaric times, if Ireland had the ability to kick britains ass and rule the seas and a good chunk of the globe they would have done so. Hating gb for its empire building days is like hating cave men for being rapists. Move by it and judge the u.k as it is today, still not perfect, or even the best, but at heart a evolved, modern, open and free country that is home to many, even more Irish then there is in Ireland.

They still see themselves as a superior force in the world, hence Camerons rethoric.
    What they are though is pathetic strategic lapdogs for the Americans in Europe.
    Nothing against the British or American people, but I do think they have a tendency to be very cowed in terms of objecting to what is done in their names.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Some of these posts make me embarrassed to call myself Irish. I've lived in England for a number of years now, and every time someone found out I'm Irish, they've had nothing but good things to say about the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

Happyman42 wrote: »
    They still see themselves as a superior force in the world, hence Camerons rethoric.
    Nothing against the British or American people, but I do think they have a tendency to be very cowed in terms of objecting to what is done in their names.

Hence the London protest in February 2003 where 750,000 to 1,000,000 people marched in their opposition to military action in Iraq. The largest protest march in Europe.

• Advertisement

9959 wrote: »
    Inexplicably, some British people withdrew their childhood affection for Ireland following the heroic bombings of Birmingham, Guildford, Warrington, etc.
    The Warrington one being particularly gruesome, where 12 year old Tim Parry and 3 year old Johnathan Ball were slaughtered, like dogs in the street, for being part of the British War Machine, eh, obviously.

http://en.internationalism.org/wr/265_terror1920.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

The only war the UK is currently involved in is a un sanctioned mission. That is also the reason Ireland is involved.

Well FF today sometimes doesnt just mean 11/10/2012.

Afghanistan, Iraq & Libya spring to mind, Libya is interesting as up until 2010 Gb was still supplying military arms to its ''maddog'' leader.

LOL, nothing against British people......

You obviously missed the peace camp outside Westminster and the protest marches then.

Conveniently enough.

Still, nothing wrong with being a US lapdog, I mean we make a few quid out of their rendition flights and military using our airports.

Oh no, sorry, that Ireland isn't it:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

Nationalism is a sickness. Seanchai seems to have a terminal case.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 jamesjoyce1710

Seanchai wrote: »
    So says the current British Prime Minister, David Cameron, today. He went on about how Britain has "the finest head of state on earth". The British also apparently "invented the computer" and they apparently also "defeated the Nazis". And other shíte in a similarly nauseous vein.

The embarrassment. The recession must be biting when the flag-waving xenophobia is back à la Thatcher during the Malvinas. Last refuge of a scoundrel....

1) By any standard, Britain is not "the greatest country in the world", even allowing for the subjective stupidity of such a claim being made by any country. Just what is it a world leader in? IT? Car manufacturing? Environmental innovation? Medical Science? What does it produce, other than overpaid members of the financial services industry in London? If any country is something as conceited as "the greatest country in the world" it's the most innovative one which is leading the technological revolution of the past 4 decades, the United States.

2) The British head of state is an unelected, sectarian monarch who would not have that position if she were, say, Catholic. She has it for two reasons: first, because the British state gives the highest position in its supposedly democratic society in 2012 to somebody because of their birth by blood and connections. Second, because the person is not a Roman Catholic and is an Anglican.

3) Somebody should tell this man (and several other non-British people) that Britain invented the computer. Really, this plebeian "land of Hope and Glory" appeal is embarrassing for any thinking person.

4) So the British believe they "defeated the Nazis"? Cringe. Somebody should tell the Russians that the British "defeated the Nazis". Some 40,000 - 60,000 British died in the Battle of Britain. Some 20 million Russians and other Soviet citizens died in WW II. But amazingly it was Britain, and not the Russians facing 3 million Nazi soldiers on their soil, who "defeated the Nazis". Just what sort of fantasy world do British people live in that they'd believe this nonsense from Cameron about Britain's role in WWII?

Just what is the educational level of the average British person that David Cameron is appealing to here?

PS: Cameron also reckoned that the British always "pay their way". Hello? Did I just imagine that they, er, robbed around 25% of the entire planet during the past four centuries? This "black really is white" distortion of language reminds me of a few scenes in Nineteen Eighty-Four.

get a life will ya the brits are grand, everything you have said can be disputed.
    1) Britain is the 7 largest economy in the world, it has 200 billion in exports a year and leads the way in many industires
    2) the queen is nothing more than a tourist attraction great for tourism, why does it both you if she elected or not, she has no power and as i said is just a figure head, why does that concept bother you but the king of spain, portugal, sweden and most other european countries doesn't?
    3) the invention of the computer is debatable, the idea can be traced back to the 1900s
    4)brits did stop the nazi's, so did the US and so did the Soviets, i didnt hear him say he did it single handedly. and the 20 mil russians who died were mostly killed by the stalins regime not in hand to hand combat
    5)the brits had the power back in the day to rule the world, and they did, if any other country had this they would have too, differet times back them where empire building was the main way to grow your ecomony. they brough civilisation to a lot of countires on their way
    6) brits pay their way alright, look at their contribtion to the E.U for 1, paid for a lot of roads and farmd in ireland

• Advertisement

Tox56 wrote: »
    Some of these posts make me embarrassed to call myself Irish. I've lived in England for a number of years now, and every time someone found out I'm Irish, they've had nothing but good things to say about the country.

Dont see one post where anyone says anything unpleasing about english people? GB should indeed include all aspects of the past and present and not just use the glory apsects.

I am not just talking about Ireland, actually Ireland suffered in miniscule ways compared to other countries who needed ''lessons''.

get a life will ya the brits are grand, everything you have said can be disputed.
    1) Britain is the 7 largest economy in the world, it has 200 billion in exports a year and leads the way in many industires
    2) the queen is nothing more than a tourist attraction great for tourism, why does it both you if she elected or not, she has no power and as i said is just a figure head, why does that concept bother you but the king of spain, portugal, sweden and most other european countries doesn't?
    3) the invention of the computer is debatable, the idea can be traced back to the 1900s
    4)brits did stop the nazi's, so did the US and so did the Soviets, i didnt hear him say he did it single handedly. and the 20 mil russians who died were mostly killed by the stalins regime not in hand to hand combat
    5)the brits had the power back in the day to rule the world, and they did, if any other country had this they would have too, differet times back them where empire building was the main way to grow your ecomony. they brough civilisation to a lot of countires on their way
    6) brits pay their way alright, look at their contribtion to the E.U for 1, paid for a lot of roads and farmd in ireland

Hip Hip Hooray for the bullying class.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

They are a superior force in the world, if you have a air force, navy with aircraft carriers and nucular subs Abel to send the planet back a few million years, or even highly trained sas etc for percision missions, then by definition you are a superior force.

I agree about us being to close to American policy, it's all about protecting the petrodollar, when the dollar was not backed by gold by ragen in the mid sixtys they done a deal with Saudi to sell all oil by the dollar, so far any country that has tried to leave this system has became the axis of evil and been invaded I.e Iran, Syria, Venezuela, and North Korea. http://ftmdaily.com/preparing-for-the-collapse-of-the-petrodollar-system/

The simple question is though, as wrong as the under handed tactics, false wars etc are, would it be better if say china or Russia became the super power?

LOL, nothing against British people......

You obviously missed the peace camp outside Westminster and the protest marches then.

Conveniently enough.

Still, nothing wrong with being a US lapdog, I mean we make a few quid out of their rendition flights and military using our airports.

Oh no, sorry, that Ireland isn't it:rolleyes:

Who mentioned Ireland here....this isn't a comparison thread, it's about Britian.
    It says a lot about you Fred that you constantly want to run down Ireland, whether it's pertinent to the debate or not.

On topic, I didn't miss any of the protests at all, and I also didn't miss how the British government ignored the protests and broke international law in their efforts to be America's lapdog...reflected glory etc etc.
    I also didn't miss how the British people didn't make their masters pay at the polls. There is very little difference between Labour foreign policy and Conservative foreign policy.
    If you want to make a comparison to Ireland, we made FF pay at the polls for what they did....did the British voter show their opposition at the polling booth? Nope.

Well FF today sometimes doesnt just mean 11/10/2012.

Afghanistan, Iraq & Libya spring to mind, Libya is interesting as up until 2010 Gb was still supplying military arms to its ''maddog'' leader.

LOL, as I said, Afghanistan is a UN sanctioned mission, where we are (pathetically) supported by the Irish government.

Iraq, yeah, wrong un there, but only the second one. The first Iraq one was again, a UN backed mission (Where were the Irish on that one?).

Libya? well, the UK didn't supply any arms, unlike the French. The ability was there of course as part of the international community trying to bring Libya back into the fold, but ultimately the revolution there was a better option. Lets face it, no one (Other than maybe a few provos) are upset to see the back of Gaddaffi.

In my lifetime, the UK has been involved in seven wars, The Falklands, Kosovo, Bosnia, Afghanistan, Gulf War one and Gulf war two and Libya.

six out of seven backed by the UN. Hardly the act of an imperialist expansionist state.

LOL, as I said, Afghanistan is a UN sanctioned mission, where we are (pathetically) supported by the Irish government.

Iraq, yeah, wrong un there, but only the second one. The first Iraq one was again, a UN backed mission (Where were the Irish on that one?).

Libya? well, the UK didn't supply any arms, unlike the French. The ability was there of course as part of the international community trying to bring Libya back into the fold, but ultimately the revolution there was a better option. Lets face it, no one (Other than maybe a few provos) are upset to see the back of Gaddaffi.

In my lifetime, the UK has been involved in seven wars, The Falklands, Kosovo, Bosnia, Afghanistan, Gulf War one and Gulf war two and Libya.

six out of seven backed by the UN. Hardly the act of an imperialist expansionist state.

I will post links when i get into my office, but you are wrong. and the UN? really?

Who mentioned Ireland here....this isn't a comparison thread, it's about Britian.
    It says a lot about you Fred that you constantly want to run down Ireland, whether it's pertinent to the debate or not.

On topic, I didn't miss any of the protests at all, and I also didn't miss how the British government ignored the protests and broke international law in their efforts to be America's lapdog...reflected glory etc etc.
    I also didn't miss how the British people didn't make their masters pay at the polls. There is very little difference between Labour foreign policy and Conservative foreign policy.
    If you want to make a comparison to Ireland, we made FF pay at the polls for what they did....did the British voter show their opposition at the polling booth? Nope.

LOL, so you can say whatever you like about Britain and the British, but heaven forbid anyone say anything about Ireland I suppose.

And yeah, FF were made to pay, as soon as it hit people's pockets. No one gave a crap when they were lining their own pockets and the level of corruption became obvious.

Christ, Bertie was in the middle of a corruption scandal that would have made any leader with a modicum of decency stand down and yet he still won the next election.

LOL, so you can say whatever you like about Britain and the British, but heaven forbid anyone say anything about Ireland I suppose.

And yeah, FF were made to pay, as soon as it hit people's pockets. No one gave a crap when they were lining their own pockets and the level of corruption became obvious.

Christ, Bertie was in the middle of a corruption scandal that would have made any leader with a modicum of decency stand down and yet he still won the next election.

The thread has nothing to do with Ireland. Stop deflecting it.
    Deal with the criticisms of Britian.

The only way you can decide if a country is the greatest in the world is by comparing it to others, no?

The only way you can decide if a country is the greatest in the world is by comparing it to others, no?

Good man Fred, we believe that was all you where doing. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

In other words, sit back and let us tell you how crap your country is and take it on the chin, as I'm unable to come back to you with an adequate response to your rebuttals without displaying my clear hatred for all things British.

Good man Fred, we believe that was all you where doing. :rolleyes:

Yes, it is, don't judge me by your own standards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

What are you talking about? Labour lost the last election... how did Britain not make their masters pay at the polls? There are only 3 real established parties in the UK and of the 3 only 2 are big enough to have a majority in government.

Also Labour didnt bankrupt the country completely (unlike FF) and Britain had the foresight to stay out of the Euro so it could manage its own economy at times like these.

And are you really telling me that FF and FG are very different parties... to be honest I dont even know what the difference between the two parties are apart from historical Dev vs. Collins reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

On mature reflection, the speech is based on a falsehood.

(Great) Britain is NOT A COUNTRY. Is NOT A NATION.

It is an island occupied by three separate countries. This is an example of an Englishman trying to subsume the achievements of Scotland and Wales into his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

How come when Americans(a fair percentage) call their country 'The Best in the World' no one bats an eyelid? Could it be true do you think?:rolleyes:

Btw We all know Scotland is the best part of the UK - where would the rest be without it - http://www.scotland.org/culture/the-people/scottish-inventors/

For all we know they 'probably' invented the wheel(got to have something to carry you home on when your pissed)!

mitosis wrote: »

It is an island occupied by three separate countries. This is an example of an Englishman trying to subsume the achievements of Scotland and Wales into his own.

and when Tony Blair or Gordon Brown did it?

summerskin wrote: »
    In other words, sit back and let us tell you how crap your country is and take it on the chin, as I'm unable to come back to you with an adequate response to your rebuttals without displaying my clear hatred for all things British.

Criticism is hatred? Having an overly sensitive day are we? :rolleyes:

I love Britian as a place and as a people, I have lived there and go there all the time. I also have worked and frequently visited America and find it a great place too.
    Maybe if posters got over themselves and dealt with the 'actual' criticisms and stopped trying to label people we might get somewhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Scotland, Wales, England and N.Ireland all share there achievements as part of a united kingdom, for together we are great.

Criticism is hatred? Having an overly sensitive day are we? :rolleyes:

I love Britian as a place and as a people, I have lived there and go there all the time. I also have worked and frequently visited America and find it a great place too.
    Maybe if posters got over themselves and dealt with the 'actual' criticisms and stopped trying to label people we might get somewhere.

Maybe if you didn't keep jumping on an thread that critisices Britain and the British you wouldn't get labelled anti British.

As for the OP, well that's a different story isn't it.

• Advertisement

Playboy wrote: »
    What are you talking about? Labour lost the last election... how did Britain not make their masters pay at the polls?
    And tell us how foreign policy has demonstrably changed?
    There are only 3 real established parties in the UK and of the 3 only 2 are big enough to have a majority in government.
    Correct, why is that do you think. Think really hard, would it mean that voters are happy with the staus quo.
    Also Labour didnt bankrupt the country completely (unlike FF) and Britain had the foresight to stay out of the Euro so it could manage its own economy at times like these.

And are you really telling me that FF and FG are very different parties... to be honest I dont even know what the difference between the two parties are apart from historical Dev vs. Collins reasons.

This thread is not about Ireland though, is it? I have plenty to say about Ireland on the relevant threads.

and when Tony Blair or Gordon Brown did it?

They were likewise incorrect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Scotland, Wales, England and N.Ireland all share there achievements as part of a united kingdom, for together we are great.

Fair play, there are not many nations in the world that have the arrogance to call themselves "Great". Pretty much in a league of their own with that one..lol.

ps...is everyone gearing up for the annual Remembrance Day rant...

What has the UK got to do with it? The man said "Britain" - deliberately excluding the Northern Irish, and referring to the three other countries as one country, which it is not.

I would think that as a Brit you would know what constituted Britain.

Maybe if you didn't keep jumping on an thread that critisices Britain and the British you wouldn't get labelled anti British.

Am I entitled to my opinion or not Fred? Have you appointed yourself as a censor again? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Hip Hip Hooray for the bullying class.

If it was not Britian it would have been Spain, France or the Netherlands

• Advertisement

And tell us how foreign policy has demonstrably changed?

Err, the British army is no longer in Iraq, that's quite a big change.

As I stated earlier, the other missions the British army is on are sanctioned by the UN. As a UN security member it is only fitting that Britain puts its money where its mouth is and if it votes in favour of military intervention then it contributes accordingly.

No?
    Am I entitled to my opinion or not Fred? Have you appointed yourself as a censor again? :rolleyes:

as am I.

They were likewise incorrect.

and what, Scotsmen trying to claim credit for something England and Wales had done?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

I've seen you jump on many a thread Fred and be critical of Ireland. Is it a case of do as you say and not as you do?

Some of the guff that Cameron came out with yesterday was pure nonsense and it's correct he should be criticised, the Tories were never friends of Ireland, fcuk, they were never too keen on parts of the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I know people will not like this but on these Islands there are only 2 sovereign states Republic of Ireland and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland are not soverign states

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

Fair play, there are not many nations in the world that have the arrogance to call themselves "Great".
    Here we go again. The 'Great' was simply placed there to differentiate it from Brittany. As in it's bigger. Look it up.

As it is this thread is embarrassing. Once again exposing those Irish people who are so unsure of their Irishness and so insecure that they have to attack the British for 800 years of blah, blah, de blah.

Yeah sure, Cameron is talking nonsense. But the Americans think theirs is the best country in the world, the French theirs, Australia, Germany...... The list is long.

It's just a pity we don't think this is the best country in the world. It could be but that will never happen as long as people like the OP are offended by other nationalities taking pride in their own country.

No wonder this country is a shambles, run by idiots, voted in by idiots. This country collectively needs to grow up and and stop blaming the Brits for everything.

• Advertisement

I have no issue or problem with a British PM going on about great his country is. Sure look at us on St Patrick's Day!!! It's embarrassing.

He is trying to restore confidence in a tired and weary old world economy. It is no coincidence that he also focused on being competitive with the China, India, Brazils of the the world (the new economies). Most of Western Europe has the same problem. It is in Ireland's interests to have vibrant UK economy (and mine as I live here....:o)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Good evening. Here is the news

World's first computer, Rome

Doesn't fill the requirement of being readily reprogrammable, its sole function was to display the moon phase. It can only fulfil one task.

bluecode wrote: »
    Here we go again. The 'Great' was simply placed there to differentiate it from Brittany. As in it's bigger. Look it up.

As it is this thread is embarrassing. Once again exposing those Irish people who are so unsure of their Irishness and so insecure that they have to attack the British for 800 years of blah, blah, de blah.

Yeah sure, Cameron is talking nonsense. But the Americans think theirs is the best country in the world, the French theirs, Australia, Germany...... The list is long.

It's just a pity we don't think this is the best country in the world. It could be but that will never happen as long as people like the OP are offended by other nationalities taking pride in their own country.

No wonder this country is a shambles, run by idiots, voted in by idiots. This country collectively needs to grow up and and stop blaming the Brits for everything.

That joke is made dozens of times a year on boards, and every time it's made you can be sure someone will inform us all, yet again, that the 'Great' simply means 'Large' - which everyone already knew anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Yes indeed Karma :)
    Fair play, there are not many nations in the world that have the arrogance to call themselves "Great". Pretty much in a league of their own with that one..lol.

The Great of course refers to the size of the whole island (great meaning Big) when compared to Brittany in North west France, which is smaller by comparrison, hence Grande-Bretagne.
    ps...is everyone gearing up for the annual Remembrance Day rant...

Its been done to death so many years on boards.ie, and I'm tired of all the annual bickering, so I think I'll just bow out this year & let Seanchai and friends rant away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Watch out for the Mancunians because some of them think they're Greater.

LordSutch wrote: »
    The Great of course refers to the size of the whole island (great meaning Big) when compared to Brittany in North west France, which is smaller by comparrison, hence Grande-Bretagne.

LOL - 3rd time.

Mate, that's the joke, a simple pun.

LordSutch wrote: »
    Yes indeed Karma :)

Its been done to death so many years on boards.ie, and I'm tired of all the annual bickering, so I think I'll just bow out this year & let Seanchai and friends rant away.

I know...that was posted very much with tongue in check. I guess I should have used more emoticons.

karma_ wrote: »
    I've seen you jump on many a thread Fred and be critical of Ireland. Is it a case of do as you say and not as you do?

Actually, i always avoid the "Why are we so ****" threads. I hate self pity.
    karma_ wrote: »
    Some of the guff that Cameron came out with yesterday was pure nonsense and it's correct he should be criticised, the Tories were never friends of Ireland, fcuk, they were never too keen on parts of the UK.

Labour say exactly the same sort of thing. In fact, most the things the British are supposedly guilty of were carried out whilst a (supposed) labour government was in power.

It's a PM for christ sake. Have you seen Enda's interview in Time magazine? Did you ever listen to any of the **** Bertie went on about. This was supposed to be the wealthiest country in the world ffs. All politicians do it.

Take it in the same way you would when you hear a Man U or Liverpool fan going on about being "The Greatest", with a sizeable pinch of salt.

bluecode wrote: »

Does this mean Ireland is Little Britain;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Does this mean Ireland is Little Britain;)

No, that would be Wales: An Bhreatain Bheag :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement