Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

British PM: Britain is "still the greatest country on earth"

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

andrew wrote: »
    Well if you're a fan of monarchy and the queen, then it's fair enough to say that you think she's the greatest head of state on earth. And lots of computer scientists integral to the creation of the computer were British; Alan Turing, Charles Babbage etc.

I imagine Turing wasn't too fond of Britishness at the end of his life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

aah, of course, what you're taught in "The best education system in the world" is bound to be unbiased and 100% accurate.

He obviously doesn't know that you went to Harrow and got an A-Level in Peasant Baiting.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Latchy wrote: »
    David Cameron as PM is about as convincing as a parachute with holes in it.
    how embarrassing,parachutes do have holes in them its called a vent,without it you would spin about on the way down,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

mike65 wrote: »
    300 posts! Imagine trying to drum up this much nonsense on a UK site about an Irish party political conference speech.

SF would have often.

billybudd wrote: »
    Who claims that?

Carlsberg.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 unemployedM0d

Spread wrote: »
    If the Brits had not colonised Ireland, exploiting and murdering the indigenous people ....... there would not have been any bombing.
    Fred, it beats me why you stay on boards dot ie. Could you not join an all England forum where you can talk about the good old days when Britannia ruled the waves, immigrants knew their place, everyone read the Express/Torygraph/Mirror, watched the Queen's speech after Christmas Dinner and shook their heads in disgust at uprisings in the various colonies.
    You - at your age - should be able to get a bit of perspective on history and realise that jingoism is used by the ruling class to ensnare their lessers.

The Brits were committing genocide on the Irish people? Come on now, I am as proud of this country as you are, but I understand this is all in the past. No point crying over split milk. Ireland would have done the same to the UK if places were switched. Where can I visit the Irish Dachau or Aushwitz:rolleyes: More to the orig point, why don't you hate on the Scandanavians or the ORIGINAL IRISH SETTLERS who descended from mainland Europe and originally entered Ireland? You have Spanish blood in you. Dublin was built by the Vikings who took over Ireland too, yet I don't hear you banging on about them. You could lose that chip on your shoulder and put it to constructive use, that is all I am saying. Hate does nobody any good man. The British cannot compare to the evils of say, the Germans during world war two. This is a fact. You also have Iberian Peninsula blood in you.

The Brits were committing genocide on the Irish people? Come on now, I am as proud of this country as you are, but I understand this is all in the past. No point crying over split milk. Ireland would have done the same to the UK if places were switched. Where can I visit the Irish Dachau or Aushwitz:rolleyes: More to the orig point, why don't you hate on the Scandanavians or the ORIGINAL IRISH SETTLERS who descended from mainland Europe and originally entered Ireland? You have Austrian blood in you. Dublin was built by the Vikings who took over Ireland too, yet I don't hear you banging on about them. You could lose that chip on your shoulder and put it to constructive use, that is all I am saying. Hate does nobody any good man. The British cannot compare to the evils of say, the Germans during world war two. This is a fact. You also have Iberian Peninsula blood in you.

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Who claims that?

I've always wondered where that claim comes from, is it blueshirt propaganda. It's preposterous anyway, especially at third level where only TCD at number 67 ranks in the top world 100.

Irish people are descended from mainland European/Scandanavian Settlers who originally moved here. We can assume Ireland was unclaimed land up until that point. This is Common Knowledge.

The bit about the Iberian Peninsular is probably true enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

they don't call it Great Britain for nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Happyman42 wrote: »
    I'm sure the British, Americans etc would just love someone with your understanding nature as they bomb you into the acceptance of their gifts. :rolleyes:
    Damm those ungrateful ingrates!

Yeah because history is littered with tales of benevolent empires before the Brits and Americans came along. :confused:

Irish people are descended from mainland European/Scandanavian Settlers who originally moved here. We can assume Ireland was unclaimed land up until that point. This is Common Knowledge.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/apr/23/british-empire-crimes-ignore-atrocities

Read that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

Was a joke Fred, but certainly my Grandparents did and those before.

Your grandparents may well have been oppressed by the Roman Catholic Church, that's if they were Catholics, it they weren't Catholics, then they were definitely oppressed by the Roman Catholic Church.

When are we going to grow-up and leave our post-colonial adolescence behind us?
    Here's a suggestion,
    Can we all as Irish men and women, clear our throats, stand to attention, face Britain and say as one:
    "We no longer recognise you as our masters, we shall now attempt to stand on our own two feet and not blame you for all our ills and woes", (finish with an amen if you're that way inclined).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

...................................................... You have Spanish blood in you.
    ....................................................................................... This is a fact. ...........................................................................................You also have Iberian Peninsula blood in you.

Short memory span? WebDoc would recommend a change of meds.
    So that's where I get the bright red hair, fair skin and green eyes!

ejmaztec wrote: »
    The bit about the Iberian Peninsular is probably true enough.

There is nothing difinitive about it and also it was not done under the flag of Ireland, do you blame all Irish people for the bombing of warrington?

That's nothing to do with the make-up of the original "Irish" people. :confused:

There is nothing difinitive about it and also it was not done under the flag of Ireland, do you blame all Irish people for the bombing of warrington?

What on earth has the Iberian Peninsular got to do with the Warrington bombings?:confused::eek:

9959 wrote: »
    Your grandparents may well have been oppressed by the Roman Catholic Church, that's if they were Catholics, it they weren't Catholics, then they were definitely oppressed by the Roman Catholic Church.

When are we going to grow-up and leave our post-colonial adolescence behind us?
    Here's a suggestion,
    Can we all as Irish men and women, clear our throats, stand to attention, face Britain and say as one:
    "We no longer recognise you as our masters, we shall now attempt to stand on our own two feet and not blame you for all our ills and woes", (finish with an amen if you're that way inclined).

My argument is not Irish v British, it is about Britain flogging its murderous past upon the world without shame. feeble propaghanda is all it is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

Seanchai wrote: »
    Here we go again with the British nationalist propaganda machine. Those stats again: 20 million Russians/Soviet Union citizens died in WWII. 40,000-60,000 British people died in the air assault that was the Battle of Britain. This attempt to understate the magnitude of the Russian/Ukranian etc effort in WWII and overstate the British effort is typical of the most repellent of British nationalists.

The Battle of Britain was a picnic compared to the land assault on Russia by 3.9 million German/Axis soldiers in Operation Barbarossa June 1941. In a single battle, Stalingrad, approximately 1 million people died. In a single siege, Leningrad, approximately 750,000 people died.

There is no comparison between the Nazi war in the Soviet Union and the Nazi air assault on Britain during the Battle of Britain. World War II could not have been won without that incredible sacrifice by people in the Soviet Union. The same sacrifice was not made by the British. That the British are reluctant to acknowledge this truth is shown with their poppy war commemorations, which specifically only commemorate British Commonwealth forces.

I never realised that the victor in a war is the side that suffers the most deaths. So by losing.....you're actually winning.............? ;)

The stats you have presented do not show who won the war when looked at properly.

• Advertisement

What on earth has the Iberian Peninsular got to do with the Warrington bombings?:confused::eek:

They both were not official attacks by an Irish government.

That's nothing to do with the make-up of the original "Irish" people. :confused:

His post did not just have the bit about the original make up of Ireland in it, he said Britain can not be compared to nazi Germany.

Ireland locked up the largest number of people per head of capita in mental asylums in the entire world, moreso than the Soviet Union, we also instituted the mass rape of children in institutions, not to mention the magdeline laundires. Proportionally speaking, we were far from angels towards our own people. Every country has it's flaws. The most powerful country are just less decent at hiding them. The British Empire was opressive, yes, but not nearly to the extent you claim. If you compare their Empire to say, Germany, their empire was timid in comparison. Don't think Hitler would have handed independence back to former colonies like the British eventually did. The Brits are no angels, but they aren't the worst by any means. I say most people who despise Britain are simply livid at the fact no other country has yet matched their empire. Jealousy Really.

LordEsh Posts

I love the "liberal/Liberal" spin: you mustn't look back at the good things in the past, only the bad things. Why doesn't the Guardian do some articles about the loving, caring Portuguese, German, French, Spanish and Dutch colonial past? I've said this before: the world should be thankful the British had the biggest empire, not any of the above. If Britain didn't have the empire, someone else would have. We can all dream of a loving, sharing and caring world, but we must remember that people exist, and human nature dictates that bad things will happen. Like it or not, the bully will triumph. I tend to think Britain were probably nicer than the other bullies. I wonder how pretty Indian and Chinese imperialism will be in the future? Do you not think some people have their heads up their behinds. People need to separate idealism with reality.

These Liberals love to feel victimised. Look at the most impressive architecture throughout this country, the most impressive facilities. Who built them? The fecking British. It's a sad fact to swallow, but modern Dublin has many, many lingering British influences remaining even to this day. Not that agree with this, it is merely a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 jamesjoyce1710

Who claims that?

pretty much every Irish politician in ireland?

how about when we christined ourselves "the best fans in the world" after our drunken sing song at the euros

or my fav "sure we're irish, everyone loves us" ****e spouted by drunk idiot why wreking a bar in thailand.

glass houses ra heads, dont throw stones,

he said Britain can not be compared to nazi Germany.

I am open to being proved wrong. Any specific examples that rival the attrocities of say, Stalin, Hitler, Mao or Pol Pot? Britain were bastards in the past, and too many deaths in the North occured, but they never instituted a policy of genocide on any ethic group that I am aware. Where the British building mass graves for the Irish? I don't know about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

Tox56 wrote: »
    Some of these posts make me embarrassed to call myself Irish. I've lived in England for a number of years now

Why am I not surprised.

pretty much every Irish politician in ireland?

how about when we christined ourselves "the best fans in the world" after our drunken sing song at the euros

or my fav "sure we're irish, everyone loves us" ****e spouted by drunk idiot why wreking a bar in thailand.

glass houses ra heads, dont throw stones,

Well dont listen to politicians.

as for the rest...blah.

I am certainly not a ra head or do i have a hatred for British people in fact i love alot of things britain produced, carry on films for one.

If the Brits had not colonised Ireland, exploiting and murdering the indigenous people ....... there would not have been any bombing.
    Fred, it beats me why you stay on boards dot ie. Could you not join an all England forum where you can talk about the good old days when Britannia ruled the waves, immigrants knew their place, everyone read the Express/Torygraph/Mirror, watched the Queen's speech after Christmas Dinner and shook their heads in disgust at uprisings in the various colonies.
    You - at your age - should be able to get a bit of perspective on history and realise that jingoism is used by the ruling class to ensnare their lessers.
    Love it.

I can't actually put up any sort of coherent points, so I'll just attack the poster.

Attacking the poster? Perhaps you need some anti-psychotic medication? If you feel paranoid/beleaguered ....... joining one of the many Little Englander forums may help. A kind of group therapy/mental masturbation scenario.

Short memory span? WebDoc would recommend a change of meds.
    So that's where I get the bright red hair, fair skin and green eyes!

Genetics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Look at the most impressive architecture throughout this country, the most impressive facilities. Who built them? The fecking British. It's a sad fact to swallow, but modern Dublin has many, many lingering British influences remaining even to this day. Not that agree with this, it is merely a fact.

We only took back what we paid, we tossed the rest, Nelson et al! :D

I am open to being proved wrong. Any specific examples that rival the attrocities of say, Stalin, Hitler, Mao or Pol Pot? Britain were bastards in the past, and too many deaths in the North occured, but they never instituted a policy of genocide on any ethic group that I am aware. Where the British building mass graves for the Irish? I don't know about that.

Define a mass grave? 10, 100,1000, 1000,000? i never claimed they where the biggest perpetrators of attrocities, but they have a chair at the high table of the most brutal regimes in history.

summerskin wrote: »
    I'm unable to come back to you with an adequate response to your rebuttals without displaying my clear hatred for all things British.

I believe "Paddy", "Mick", "hate" and "potatoes" are helpful keywords in your usual responses to the Irish. Perhaps Fratton and Lord Sutch can assist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Attacking the poster? Perhaps you need some anti-psychotic medication? If you feel paranoid/beleaguered ....... joining one of the many Little Englander forums may help. A kind of group therapy/mental masturbation scenario.
    oh spread mate thats one big mouth full,what ever your on ,send me some

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

aah, of course, what you're taught in "The best education system in the world" is bound to be unbiased and 100% accurate.

Good aul Fred. Always in with a sneer.

getz wrote: »
    oh spread mate thats one big mouth full,what ever your on ,send me some

Too late for you getz. I guess you ingested too many limes in your career. :p

• Advertisement

They both were not official attacks by an Irish government.
    His post did not just have the bit about the original make up of Ireland in it, he said Britain can not be compared to nazi Germany.

My posts made no mention of Nazi Germany, bombings or anything else of that nature, and yet you seemed to have answered my posts as if I did, which is odd comprehension to say the least.:eek:

Madam wrote: »
    How come when Americans(a fair percentage) call their country 'The Best in the World' no one bats an eyelid? Could it be true do you think?:rolleyes:

If any country is stupid/desperate enough to make such a claim for itself, the US has more of a claim to it based on its leadership of technological changes in the past few decades. The US also has a "right" to many other claims which are not as flattering.

However, it is delusional for a has-been world power like Britain to make such a claim. Delusional, but pathetically populist and myth-laden along the lines of a jingoistic Margaret Thatcher speech. Cameron is trying to motivate the dregs of his society with that speech. In reality, the history of Britain since the 1920s is a history of decline, whether it's the loss of Empire, decline of influence in Europe or the closure of its car plants and vast sections of its industrial base.

Some people seem to take exception to this reality being pointed out in the context of a claim that Britain is the greatest country on the planet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

getz wrote: »
    how embarrassing,parachutes do have holes in them its called a vent,without it you would spin about on the way down,
    Which is like saying ' if you open your umbrella when it rains it will stop you getting wet ''...how informative .

A tear in your 'chute' won't help your trajectory in descent at all but you might get lucky and land in a haystack .Then you can chew the fcuk outta the guy who was supposed to make sure it was 100% in good order in the first place .

gallag wrote: »
    Scotland, Wales, England and N.Ireland all share there achievements as part of a united kingdom, for together we are great.

:rolleyes:. Good Lord. This, this is the sort of blinkered jingoistic yet earnest British nationalist nonsense that Cameron is appealing to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

While it's great to see Anglo-Irish relations improving so well, I think it's probably best if we leave this one for now. Quit while we're ahead, baby steps and all that jazz.

Locked.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement