Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghent, Belgium?

Options
  • 10-10-2012 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

hi guys,

I'm going to Ghent with a group of 8 lads in December, its not a stag, basically, we're all friends from our school years, we are now 28 so once a year we all go away for a weekend usually a European city break. Flying into Brussels and getting the train to Ghent.

we're not a rowdy group but we do like going for our beers at night. We will be going sight seeing during the days including Sunday (flight home @ 9 pm). I'm looking for any advice on accommodation, must see Sights/Museums/Christmas markets and bars/clubs you can recommend?

why Ghent? well over the years we have done the usual suspects Munich, Amsterdam, Berlin, Krakow, Prague etc... None of us have ever been to Ghent so any advice is welcomed??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭man.about.town

so ill take it ghent was a bad choice if no one at all can recommend anything to do :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ingenious Ireland

No No Ghent is a great town. Me and my group of friends have been there a good few times.

Go to this bar http://www.dullegriet.be/01_Herberg.htm where you can get a yard of lovely beer but you must give your shoe as a deposit for the glass. Your shoe then gets put in a basket and hoisted into the air.

Also the Trollkeleder is great. But there are lots and lots of great little bars to discover.
    The pink Flamigo is a cool kitsch bar worth a visit http://www.pinkflamingos.be/en/index.html
    and for the smokers you can still smoke inside in a lot of places

On top of that as you will be there in December the Christmas market should be on. There was an ice rink there when we went in late November a few years ago with plenty of mulled wine on the go it can be good craic to watch.

Bruges is only about an hour away if you want to visit.
    There is a decent flea market on Sunday mornings and a few cool 2nd hand record shops.

Food is pretty decent from Moules frites to falafel and other fancier stuff. Also as its a student town it gets it's fair share of gigs so it could be worth checking out to see if there is anything on. We originally went over to see Sufjan Stevens as his gig here had sold out.

we have stayed in this place a few times about a 10 minute walk to the centre of town but the suite isnt to dear sleeps 4 and is full of cool old furniture plus you get your own kitchen etc. Check out the pictures.
    http://www.onderland.be/onderland/index_en.html
    Hope that was a bit of a help.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭man.about.town

thanks a million ingenious ireland, thats super helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 33 kiddap

"Ghent? Fookin Ghent? - It's a ****hole!"

Just joking (ala "In Bruges" film) of course, beeeooooshiful city, and actualy probably more enjoyable than Bruges, which is just a bit too perfect and tourist-preserved, Ghent feels like more of a proper town even in its old area. More lively bars.
    And when all else fails, you're less than an hour from Antwerp, which is a great city to hang out in, plenty of lively bars, and if it's culture you're after, it has lots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ingenious Ireland

No problem it's a nice town and a bit of the tourist trail in my opinion all the better for it. Hope you have a good time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭navigator

You'll love Ghent. It's a gorgeous town in my opinion, as beautiful as Bruges but much more authentic, not touristic, real life, university students, great atmosphere in winter, canals, markets and ... amazing bars for unbelievable beers!
    enjoy Ghent!

Advertisement