Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What will happen if I cut this hedge?

Options
  • 10-10-2012 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

The boundary hedge between myself and the neighbour is Griselinia and is over 2.5 meters high and 1.5 wide. It is planted on their side and is becoming a pain.

Over the years I have trimmed it with an electric hedge trimmer, but I can only go so deep before it hits branches that are too tick to cut.

I have been advised to cut with a chain saw, get in and trim back to the base of the branches on my side. I have had a test run and it works.

Before I go any further (with the consent of the neighbour?) I need to ask if I am in danger of killing the hedge?

I know it will be very barren on my side when I cut, but I expect it to recover in time. There will be plenty of green the other side so their privacy should be maintained. My concern is that it may become too heavy on one side and unbalanced or that I might kill it?

I assume winter is the best time to trim or should I wait until the new year?

All advice welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

Griselinia is a lovely hedge. Should only be pruned around May to July. Cold Months and frost will kill it if pruned now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 chunky horticulturist

Best time to cut back this hedge is when the frost has gone, so from May onwards. I would be very careful about cutting your side back to the main stem and leaving all the growth on your neighbours side, as in the event of strong winds it could start to lift out of the ground.
    Ideally, you should both cut it back to 1 foot on either side of the main stem, which would still leave plenty of greenery for your neighbours and should give you a lot of extra room on your side.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

johndoe99 wrote: »
    Griselinia is a lovely hedge.

Indeed it is, but like all plants in the right context. It grows very vigorously and has to be kept under control.

I have seen it in its native New Zealand and it grows much higher up in the hills and is a more subdue shrub there.

Each to their own. Oh and thanks, I will put away the saw until May.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

we had frost in late may here, so the timing would be when you are confident of being after the last frost, june/july depending on where you are sited.

Advertisement