Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help with saorview please?

Options
  • 10-10-2012 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

We have free to air tv with a sky dish. We have no Irish aerial on the roof.

We were thinking about getting in saorview, but didn't really want to have the expense of buying alot of gear.

My son has a new enough tv, and with his rabbits ears connected to saorview, so he is delighted to have this in his room.

The tv in the sitting room is up on the wall it's a touch on the large heavy side and I can't lift it off. What would I have to do to see if it's Saorview compatable. It was bought in 2008, and a philips (model no unknown)

Is there a way to check if I can get the saorview please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Dont think it will be, you would need a soarview box,if your sons tv is new it proberly will have saorview tuner bulild in.
    my tv 42" lcd tv not that old will need a soarview box.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭mashedbanana

nig1 wrote: »
    Dont think it will be, you would need a soarview box,if your sons tv is new it proberly will have saorview tuner bulild in.
    my tv 42" lcd tv not that old will need a soarview box.

Ya I partly guessed I'd need the box. But his tv is alot smaller, he can plug in the ears, and he's sorted. For us we might have to get the saorsat, we already have the tv hooked up to the dish outside.

If we go for the regular saorview, wouldn't that mean plugging in rabbits ears to the back of the tv, and then plug into the sairview box? cos the tv is already plugged into the free to air box. Thats alot of cables/wires/ & 2 boxes in the one room....

I probably worded that all wrong, but I hope it made sence!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,497 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Philips should be able to recieve it. What model is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

Ya I partly guessed I'd need the box. But his tv is alot smaller, he can plug in the ears, and he's sorted. For us we might have to get the saorsat, we already have the tv hooked up to the dish outside.

If we go for the regular saorview, wouldn't that mean plugging in rabbits ears to the back of the tv, and then plug into the sairview box? cos the tv is already plugged into the free to air box. Thats alot of cables/wires/ & 2 boxes in the one room....

I probably worded that all wrong, but I hope it made sence!

Is this free to air box to talk about a satellite box ? Depending on where you live in Cork you might be able to get a soarview signal without a huge aerial. I had a small aerial plugged into the back of my tv (hidden in the back) and I was able to get a strong soarview signal from it.

The likes of soundstore are doing combi boxes where they can take satellite & soarview in one (but as you said you would need to have some kind of aerial connection into it)

Going down the route of adding soarsat to your existing dish isint a straight forward job either. Lots of threads over in the satellite forums on this.

Finally, is there any way you can get into a menu or help section on your tv, and it might give you a model number, you could then check if it has a digital tuner.

ted1 wrote: »
    Philips should be able to recieve it. What model is it?

Thats the problem ya see, cos it's up on the wall, I can't lift it down to see the model number :-( we bought it in 08

• Advertisement

Oh, I got 2 lots of numbers off it! :-D

37 pfL 5322/10

and the other one....

175w

UVSH

:-D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

My samsung has a built in digital tuner, but not soarview which is mpeg4 , so it wont pick up RTE1 etc with a aerial,
    your tv might be the same, might have a build in digital tuner, but not mpeg4 (saorview compatibale).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Oh, I got 2 lots of numbers off it! :-D

37 pfL 5322/10

and the other one....

175w

UVSH

:-D

A quick google search brings this up.... But it does say "WiFi Ready",so maybe a newer version?

http://www.amazon.de/Philips-5322-10-Zoll-LCD-Fernseher/dp/B000PHX1GI

MrFrisp wrote: »
    A quick google search brings this up.... But it does say "WiFi Ready",so maybe a newer version?

http://www.amazon.de/Philips-5322-10-Zoll-LCD-Fernseher/dp/B000PHX1GI

Ya, it looks just like that. What do you think?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Hit the menu button on the remote-auto tune see if the tv has a option to search for digital channels (plug in rabbits ears first,remove all other inputs).If you dont see any digital channels no's 1 to 8 for tv 200 upward for radio channels get a set top box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,497 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭WHL

It doesn't seem to be listed on the approved equipment listing on the saorview website either - http://www.saorview.ie/product/philips/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,645 ✭✭✭Milly33

Just incase if you were looking for a nice neat unit if it would fit behind you tv and you did get the aerial sorted, we picked up a great unit in Soundstore, that just goes into the back of the tv where the large is it scart lead goes. Perfect sorry i checked the site but there is no picture but there is only one €40.00 they say there is no tele text but there is

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

A 2008 Philips TV would not have a tuner that can pick up Saorview. Replace your free to air Sky box with a Saorview combi box. If your son is getting Saorview on a rabbits ears then you will probably be OK putting an aerial in the attic for your main TV. Total cost for box plus aerial, cable etc probably around €200.

Advertisement