Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cutbacks at the polling station

• 10-10-2012 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

Does anybody know will the same number of staff be employed in this referendum as in previous referendums? I rang my city sheriff to say I would be interested in moving up from polling clerk to presiding officer and was told this year there would be no extra presiding officers taken on, as they actually had to lay some off. I thought this was an excuse until I came across this article

http://www.galwaynews.ie/28096-cuts-may-see-reduction-referendum-polling-booths-and-jobs

What do ye make of it? Has anybody heard anything about it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Has anybody been contacted by the Sheriffs Dept to confirm their place as polling clerk

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

Yep, I was last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

I applied in the usual way the day the referendum was called (this will be my third election), they rang me a couple of weeks later and asked would I be prepared to have more people on the register on my desk and would I be prepared to work shorter hours. So it waits to be seen how they will change things around. It's not a controversial referendum and I expect the turnout will be low so it's not surprising cutbacks are being made somewhere.

I have been contacted, the office said that they were dropping 220 clerks or tables can't be sure which. Also the hours were 8.30am to 11.15 pm. They said they would contact me this week if there was a position for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 queen of Umaill

Funny i was talking to work colleague about how i applied for a position other day.She told me the same people in Dundrum have been doing it every time one has come about.
    Isn't there a rule they have to change every time.I read that on the actual site.They never use the same people twice.
    I think that should be challenged as they are not following the laws of voting system.
    I don't trust the voting system if same people being used every time.

Please note that we do not carry applications forward from one election to the next so if you applied for work at any previous election and were not offered a job then you will need to re-apply if you wish to be considered for work at this election.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I read that on the actual site.
    Which actual site?
    I think that should be challenged as they are not following the laws of voting system.
    Which laws?
    I don't trust the voting system if same people being used every time.
    Why not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cbreeze

Cian92 wrote: »
    Does anybody know will the same number of staff be employed in this referendum as in previous referendums? I rang my city sheriff to say I would be interested in moving up from polling clerk to presiding officer and was told this year there would be no extra presiding officers taken on, as they actually had to lay some off. I thought this was an excuse until I came across this article

http://www.galwaynews.ie/28096-cuts-may-see-reduction-referendum-polling-booths-and-jobs

What do ye make of it? Has anybody heard anything about it?

they are probably reducing head count to accord with the PSA

Has anybody received a confirmation letter about the polling station they will be working at? As I said earlier I received a phone call asking about my availability - but as yet nothing in the post confirming station etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭hoodini89

I received my confirmation email last week and confirmation letter yesterday.

Has anybody ever worked as a counter of votes (day after election) - can you tell me what it was like etc. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

deelite wrote: »
    Has anybody ever worked as a counter of votes (day after election) - can you tell me what it was like etc. Thanks
    counted the last referendum and got a call to say I got this one.
    they team newbies up with experienced counters and everything counters do is cross checked by their partner.

had a call first about the poling station and hoped to get it but was told that there were no vacancies when they called me about the count centre.
    what gets me is that people do it who are on full time jobs which is against what the.minister said about unemployed people getting the jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Got the letter during the week, it says polling is from 9 am to 10 pm, and not 7 am to 10 pm as is normal in elections, so that's a reduction in wages of over 10% already.

counted the last referendum and got a call to say I got this one.
    they team newbies up with experienced counters and everything counters do is cross checked by their partner.

had a call first about the poling station and hoped to get it but was told that there were no vacancies when they called me about the count centre.
    what gets me is that people do it who are on full time jobs which is against what the.minister said about unemployed people getting the jobs.

Well you need an experienced person along with an inexperienced, so inevitably the experienced one will have been there for a few years doing the job and may or may not have full time employment.

I think there was a big upsurge in requests after the recession hit, and to an extent they want to stay with some people who have been doing the job for some time and might be regarded as being experienced and reliable and still interested in the job when the recession is over. There are two clerks at every table, one of them has to be experienced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

bijapos wrote: »
    Got the letter during the week, it says polling is from 9 am to 10 pm, and not 7 am to 10 pm as is normal in elections, so that's a reduction in wages of over 10% already.

Well you need an experienced person along with an inexperienced, so inevitably the experienced one will have been there for a few years doing the job and may or may not have full time employment.

I think there was a big upsurge in requests after the recession hit, and to an extent they want to stay with some people who have been doing the job for some time and might be regarded as being experienced and reliable and still interested in the job when the recession is over. There are two clerks at every table, one of them has to be experienced.

don't disagree with the need for experience but do have a problem with people doing their day job, the voting and the counting earn people can't even get 1 day who are unemployed.

Advertisement