Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build Upgrade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Nothing there screams out as needing upgrading. A monitor and a hard drive sounds like a good idea alright. Just watch out for those Seagate drives as their warranty is only a year.

The 7870 is still a great card. Of course the additional resolution would bring it to its knees somewhat.... would you be selling the 7870? The 7950s are good value, but it wouldn't be a massive leap over the 7870. Beyond that, prices start climbing rapidly!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Anything to be said for the Dell u2412m? A nice 24" IPS with a 1920x1200 resolution that won't trigger the need for a graphics update.

Realistically for the best gaming experience the catleap would require at least a second HD7870.

If you did go catleap I guess playing at a lower non native resolution might be an acceptable stopgap measure until you have money for a GPU upgrade. (I would imagine that 1080p would scale up reasonably well to 1440p as it is the same aspect ratio, never had a monitor that size so not sure though :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Thomasheen

I have no problem getting a second graphics card just want to know if it would be worth the upgrade to get better performance with the catleap and also would I need a better PSU if I did upgrade.

Im open to other monitor choices but the catleap just seems best value for money unless there is a really good reason not to go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

Thomasheen wrote: »
    I have no problem getting a second graphics card just want to know if it would be worth the upgrade to get better performance with the catleap and also would I need a better PSU if I did upgrade.

Im open to other monitor choices but the catleap just seems best value for money unless there is a really good reason not to go for it.

Well theres no point in getting a second GPU your motherboard doesn't have an second pice x16 slot...so you can't crossfire..you'd either have to sell the 7870 and get something like a 7950/7970 or 660ti or 670 but not a major upgrade really..or upgrade the motherboard aswell as adding a second 7870

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Thomasheen

U_Fig wrote: »
    Well theres no point in getting a second GPU your motherboard doesn't have an second pice x16 slot...so you can't crossfire..you'd either have to sell the 7870 and get something like a 7950/7970 or 660ti or 670 but not a major upgrade really..or upgrade the motherboard aswell as adding a second 7870

Suppose you're right probably not worth the upgrade. Think I might go for the Dell monitor instead then but just from checking around the Dell u2410 seems to be a bit better than the u2412m. Anyone know about a bit more on these 2 monitors?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Thomasheen wrote: »
    Suppose you're right probably not worth the upgrade. Think I might go for the Dell monitor instead then but just from checking around the Dell u2410 seems to be a bit better than the u2412m. Anyone know about a bit more on these 2 monitors?

Suggest having a look at tftcentral its one of the best review sites, there is a comparison of the features at the end of the U2412m review.

Myself I think its fairly clear that the much cheaper U2412m is lacking no features that normal users would miss, and is arguably the best 24" IPS panel around for gaming. Its not a catleap but I do think it is the next best thing. :)

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2410.htm

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2412m.htm

Also I wasn't nescessarly saying you shouldn't go for the Catleap BTW, just pointing out that there are extra costs to consider. If I had one myself I probably wouldn't be happy with less than a HD7970 powering it, but if you couldn't afford the required GPU straight away you could still game away by upscaling to 1080p to 1440p or using 1:1 pixel scaling (downside of the second approach is that this will leave rather large black bars at the side and top), although neither are ideal of course.

On the plus side you would have the full 27" of 1440p goodness available for everyday usage.

Advertisement