Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conifers/Fir trees cut about 4 or 5 weeks ago, now browning

Options
  • 10-10-2012 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭

Approx 4 or 5 weeks ago I trimmed my garden side of 3 or 4 conifers trees in my front garden, as they were very full and I couldn't get the ride-on mower past them properly.

I have noticed over the last week or two that there is a fair bit of brown within them, around the areas I cut with a hedge trimmer.

Have I done it damage, or will it be fine come next Spring?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭The Garden Shop

Hello
    Its hard to know what happened without pictures

You may have cut too much off the hedge and its suffering from loss of water
    The cold, windy conditions could have made the problem worse.

There is also a lot of hedging getting effected from Phytophthora this year. Phytophthora is the same as potato blight and turns healthy conifer hedges brown in large patches

If an area of hedge conifer hedging goes brown it will not grow back unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

its a question of wait and see, the only thing I can think of that may help prevent further damage if the damage was vcaused by frost or cold is to put a frost fleece over them, but this may not be practicable.

Is the browning on new foliage?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

No it seems to be where I thinned out the tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

as the garden shop says we really need a picture now

Advertisement