Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will I lose my deposit?

• 10-10-2012 8:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭

Hi guys,

My wife and I went to see a house for rent about a week ago and really liked it, decided that we wanted it and said to the agent, that we would like to move in a month later. We were told that the LL would give us 2 weeks, agreed and paid a months deposit. We visited the place again tonight for a more thorough look and have discovered a few problems.

The boiler looks like it hasn't ever been replaced. I've indicated to the agent that there is no way that we will be renting if it isn't replaced. There is no way that it can be serviced to a reasonable standard. If it is not replaced by the move in date are we able to say that we do not want to stay and reclaim our deposit?

Another big issue is that there seems to be leakage from the rads and this is stinking some rooms in the house. I will not sign the lease if this is not fixed. Again am I entitled to my deposit back?

The last issue I have may seem trivial to some but the shower is truly awful. We tried it this evening and I can spit with more force generated than the shower. I did mention this to the agent and she said that there was "probably" a pump that engaged when the heating came on. Again, what are the issues regarding our deposit?

Thanks for any advice...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

act in haste repent at leisure

thorough look should have been before the deposit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

If the boiler is a gas boiler ask the agent to see the servicing history. If they refuse make it quite clear that you will be reporting them, the LL and the LL granny to everyone in the universe if the deposit isn't returned.

Obviously polite and easy at first but there are probably half a dozen issues if they gas supply isn't being looked after.

Keep us updated OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭cmssjone

If the boiler is a gas boiler ask the agent to see the servicing history. If they refuse make it quite clear that you will be reporting them, the LL and the LL granny to everyone in the universe if the deposit isn't returned.

Obviously polite and easy at first but there are probably half a dozen issues if they gas supply isn't being looked after.

Keep us updated OP

It's not a gas boiler but oil. I don't know if that makes a difference. I'm sure that the leaky rads are worrying though. The rads did not appear to be leaking and there definitely wasn't a smell on our first visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

cmssjone wrote: »
    It's not a gas boiler but oil. I don't know if that makes a difference. I'm sure that the leaky rads are worrying though. The rads did not appear to be leaking and there definitely wasn't a smell on our first visit.

I'm not familiar with oil or the reg here but I suspect if it burns a fuel there will be legal servicing requirements. Off to google with you young scallywag!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

What makes you think the rads are leaking, that wouldn't necessarily cause a smell.

• Advertisement

What makes you think the rads are leaking, that wouldn't necessarily cause a smell.

The fact that pipes running from the rad to the floor were discoloured and slightly wet to the touch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

sounds like they are leaking to me, and yes they will cause a smell especially if the water is leaking onto carpet, dampness equals a smell, even wooden or fake wooden floors will cause a smell from rotting

last place I was in had a leaking pipe in hot press and the musty smell emanating from it was sickening but you didn't get it until we moved in and heating was on it wasn't pleasant at all and LL was a waste of oxygen

OP have you actually given the deposit to the agent?? if so then ring threshold and they will tell you exactly what you can do from this point on and will act as a go between if needs be

next time you view a property arrange to see it in both the morning and evening time if you can and make a check list of things to look out for making sure you are both aware of this and go snooping around the house to check all of the list

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I would make all the demands now and offer to leave at your own cost if they return the deposit. If they fix everything; problem solved, if they tell you to take your money elsewhere; lesson learned.
    Also, an old boiler could work perfectly well... test it first.
    How is the water heated for the shower?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

The house should be habitable. There are rules and regs on this. Look them up and ask for your pennies back unless the landlord will fix before you move in. Simples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭mickgotsick

Contact threshold.ie and see what they say. They've helped me out a lot in a somewhat similar situation.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

You are entitled to your deposit back if no lease has been signed and you have not moved in. There are many threads on this.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75075381

Thanks for all of your constructive posts. We're feeling a lot better about the situation now. We have left our requests with the agent who sympathises with our dilemma. The shower is run off the electricity system from what I can gather. I will get in touch with threshold.ie today or tomorrow and see what they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Whatever you do do not pin your hopes on any of these issues getting fixed. Save yourself the hassle; get your deposit back and find somewhere else to live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Exactly. Once youre in, nothing will be done. There are umpteen cases of that reported on this forum.

Advertisement