Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guardianship

Options
  • 10-10-2012 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I am the legal guardian (with primary care and control) of my brother following my mothers death. His father is still alive but hasnt seen the child in over 18months as the child didnt want to see him for several reasons but the main one being his depression and problem with alcohol.

The child lives with my husband & I for the last 3 years and is 13yrs old we have decided to apply for visa's to move to canada so I have applied to have the fathers guardianship revoked and my husband added as my husband and I have more of a role in the childs life and should are visas come through we hope to move in March. My question is has anyone ever had a parents guardianship revoked and has anyone travelled with a child who they are a guardian of and needed special papers or anything.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I am the legal guardian (with primary care and control) of my brother following my mothers death. His father is still alive but hasnt seen the child in over 18months as the child didnt want to see him for several reasons but the main one being his depression and problem with alcohol.

The child lives with my husband & I for the last 3 years and is 13yrs old we have decided to apply for visa's to move to canada so I have applied to have the fathers guardianship revoked and my husband added as my husband and I have more of a role in the childs life and should are visas come through we hope to move in March. My question is has anyone ever had a parents guardianship revoked and has anyone travelled with a child who they are a guardian of and needed special papers or anything.

I don't know about getting guardianship revoked, you should contact a solicitor - I would imagine there will be problems if the father objects. Have you tried to contact him directly about giving consent to move?
    I've travelled quite a bit with my child, and Canada is the only country that insisted on written consent from my ex, otherwise you would be asked to prove that you are the sole guardian.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks Planetx

I have asked for his permission and he said no even though he hasnt seen the child in over 18months..... Im in court in the new year so I think i will bite the bullet and get a Solicitor I thought once i got him removed from guardianship I would'nt need a letter of consent

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mum.of.one

What has been the update here? I reckon as Father and Guardian he may be able to stop your plans to leave the country for now.... it could end up with a judge deciding it in the end. Do you really think he'll get guardianship revoked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

mum.of.one wrote: »
    What has been the update here? I reckon as Father and Guardian he may be able to stop your plans to leave the country for now.... it could end up with a judge deciding it in the end. Do you really think he'll get guardianship revoked?

Posters are under no pressure to return and update threads.

Advertisement