Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A few business ideas

Options
  • 10-10-2012 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Okay, I need to get something going:

Options:

Courier

Hackney

Man/Van removals

Anyone recommend any of these?

I like the idea of one of these because you don't have to have a Phd to do the job and the software doesn't need to be updated every six months!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭sky2424

crunchy62 wrote: »
    Okay, I need to get something going:

Options:

Courier

Hackney

Man/Van removals

Anyone recommend any of these?

I like the idea of one of these because you don't have to have a Phd to do the job and the software doesn't need to be updated every six months!

Man/Van removal. The market is way over priced. Took me a while to sift through the ridiculous quotes to finally find someone who would do it for a half decent price. Got a great service too but was hard to find him.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,974 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

moved from Work and jobs.

Hope you guys can point this in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭lucky john

Christmas is almost here (Crap, dont even want to think about that yet), however every courier is going to be flat out for the next few months.

So two options, 1.. contact all your local courier services offering them extra delivery capacity with your van for the season.
    2.. contact them and offer yourself as a relief driver. They cant afford a man down at this time of year. I'd give Fastway a try for this first. All their drivers are self employed and need to have their area covered every day. Maybe do up a few biz cards and leave them in your local depo.
    Short term I know but one thing leads to another...

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bizzyb

lucky john wrote: »
    Christmas is almost here (Crap, dont even want to think about that yet), however every courier is going to be flat out for the next few months.

So two options, 1.. contact all your local courier services offering them extra delivery capacity with your van for the season.
    2.. contact them and offer yourself as a relief driver. They cant afford a man down at this time of year. I'd give Fastway a try for this first. All their drivers are self employed and need to have their area covered every day. Maybe do up a few biz cards and leave them in your local depo.
    Short term I know but one thing leads to another...
    I have noticed a lot of Fastway franchises for sale on Donedeal lately,seems like a lot of guys want out.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭lucky john

bizzyb wrote: »
    I have noticed a lot of Fastway franchises for sale on Donedeal lately,seems like a lot of guys want out.

I use them all the time and from talking to a few of the couriers there may be a few reasons for this.
    They are all self emlpoyed and as I said in my post that means they are under pressure to deliver every day. A day off or a sick day costs them big time. Hence an opening for a relief driver.
    The area they buy may be too small (or even to big in a rural area) to make a reasonable living + the rising cost of running a van these days.
    In some places the original area has done well and the franchisee has the option to split the area and sell part of it to someone else.

Fastway is something the OP might consider but from what I hear its hard going. I'd spend a good while talking to people in there already before buying an area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭highlandseoghan

Id try combine the courier and man and van together. Like a previous poster said go around the courier companies and tell them about yourself but have business cards done up.

What size or type van have you got?
    What area are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭crunchy62

Hi,

thanks for all the replies. Some constructive ideas there.

I haven't actually got a van yet as I haven't decided to go down this route yet (excuse the pun).

I'm in Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Man in van for sure, and you're close to Dublin where the bulk of the work will be. People moving apartments etc.

When I need to move something large, it's always the guys on Gumtree that i'd ring, as they'll undercut the major companies by a huge amount.

Advertisement