Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does any EPL team have the badge now they had before Sky?

• 10-10-2012 9:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,080 ✭✭✭✭

I noticed a few teams with newly designed badges over recent years, and was wondering if there are any sides in the EPL that haven't sold out and still have their original badge?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Man Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Newcastle, Southampton, QPR, West Ham I think just from the top of my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Man Utd.

They used to have 'manchester united' on the top and 'football club' on the bottom that was replaced by just 'machester' on the top and 'united' on the bottom around 10 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

NIMAN wrote: »
    I noticed a few teams with newly designed badges over recent years, and was wondering if there are any sides in the EPL that haven't sold out and still have their original badge?

Didnt sell out ,they didnt own the rights to their original crests therefore couldnt sue/beat the crap out of unofficial merchandisers outside stadiums.

So to legally own the crests they needed to create a new one and register it as a trademark. United were way ahead of everyone else in terms of merchandising so were obviously 1st early 90s i think?

Simply looking when an ® was added will tell you when it was done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

They used to have 'manchester united' on the top and 'football club' on the bottom that was replaced by just 'machester' on the top and 'united' on the bottom around 10 years ago.

Yes, but crest is still same. Thought thats what op meant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,080 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

tbh, I was hinting at teams redesigning their badges to be more up-to-date or modern, to appeal to the new breed of football supporter. I didn't realise that many were changed so that they would have copyright over them. Would just have assumed that the clubs owned the image of their original badge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

dreamers75 wrote: »
    NIMAN wrote: »

Didnt sell out ,they didnt own the rights to their original crests therefore couldnt sue/beat the crap out of unofficial merchandisers outside stadiums.

So to legally own the crests they needed to create a new one and register it as a trademark. United were way ahead of everyone else in terms of merchandising so were obviously 1st early 90s i think?

Simply looking when an ® was added will tell you when it was done.
    I don't know if this is true....have Liverpool not more or less reverted to the 70s style liver bird design recently ? I've heard that explanation for GAA county boards but never for soccer clubs, but you may be right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Not QPR anyway. Briatore and Ecclestone insisted on changing the old one when they were in charge about 4 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I don't know if this is true....have Liverpool not more or less reverted to the 70s style liver bird design recently ? I've heard that explanation for GAA county boards but never for soccer clubs, but you may be right.

Dont have to change the crest much but to trademark it you have do something

PHOTO_12897672_173471_30417823_main.jpg
    c1947 1970 1992 1993 1999

Pools biggest one of sorts was 93, fairly sure it was 91/92sh when United sued an outside the stadium merchandiser and led to this happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Pretty sure Villa's one is still the same.

Edit: Actually they did around 2007

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Everton's crest is very similar to the one that was first designed in 1937/38. Don't think it was used on jersey's until the 70's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Slightly OT, but the redesigned Ireland crest is awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

matrim wrote: »
    Pretty sure Villa's one is still the same.

Villa have probably changed their badge the most. I count 4 times since Sky & the EPL took off in the early 90's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Incidentally why does Man City's crest have stars on it? I always thought a league club having stars meant either 10 league titles or a champions league?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

keith16 wrote: »
    Incidentally why does Man City's crest have stars on it? I always thought a league club having stars meant either 10 league titles or a champions league?

Decoration

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The number of decades we went without a title :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,789 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I think its only in Italy where you get a star for 10 league titles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_(football_badge)

It started in Italy with it representing a club winning 10 doemstic championships. Shelbourne were the first to put a star above their crest in Ireland after winning ten titles. Even though Shamrock had won ten titles back in the 1960s, they didn't put a star over their crest til 2006 or so. Bohs put a star over their crest when they won their 10th title in 2008.

The current Limerick FC (founded in 2007) have two stars over their crest for, eh...good question.

Aberdeen have two stars over their crest for their two European trophies. :D:D:D:D :o Sad.
    padd b1975 wrote: »
    I think its only in Italy where you get a star for 10 league titles.

That's where it started, but some countries have different rules, some none at all.

Leinster's Rugby team have three stars on their crest. :D

I remember seeing a Meath GAA shirt a few years ago with nine stars on the bottom of the back of the shirt. Who knows what that was all about. :confused::confused:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Slight change back in the 1990s.
    Here's the old one
    Zebra3 wrote: »

I remember seeing a Meath GAA shirt a few years ago with nine stars on the bottom of the back of the shirt. Who knows what that was all about. :confused::confused:
    7 stars. One for each All Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Raekwon wrote: »
    Villa have probably changed their badge the most. I count 4 times since Sky & the EPL took off in the early 90's.

3 since sky

and one of those was just removing the crest at the bottom

the circular one should never have been gotten rid of

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TerryTibbs!

Chelsea.

We changed back to the one from decades ago. So yes to answer the question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Chelsea.

But the question was:
    if there are any sides in the EPL that haven't sold out and still have their original badge?

But you have sold out before, so the answer to his question is no when it comes to Chelsea.

Sold out is a funny phrase when it comes to football clubs these days

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I know Fulham changed theirs anyway.

Shame on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

It started in Italy with it representing a club winning 10 doemstic championships. Shelbourne were the first to put a star above their crest in Ireland after winning ten titles. Even though Shamrock had won ten titles back in the 1960s, they didn't put a star over their crest til 2006 or so. Bohs put a star over their crest when they won their 10th title in 2008.

The current Limerick FC (founded in 2007) have two stars over their crest for, eh...good question.

Aberdeen have two stars over their crest for their two European trophies. :D:D:D:D :o Sad.

That's where it started, but some countries have different rules, some none at all.

I see it is only the small time teams in England who have put the stars over their crests for winning the European Cup / Champions Leauge ;):p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Chelsea.

Its similar to, but not the same as the badge Chelsea had for 30 odd years, and when the club had that badge, the badge on the shirt was often different.

Incidentally changing badge is not something done only at EPL level, nearly all teams, in all leagues tinker with their badge or radically change it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Its similar to, but not the same as the badge Chelsea had for 30 odd years, and when the club had that badge, the badge on the shirt was often different.

Incidentally changing badge is not something done only at EPL level, nearly all teams, in all leagues tinker with their badge or radically change it.

And it not something that has just stared recently, I has been going on since teams began

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

The stars are for the two times Limerick have won the league of Ireland title.

http://www.limerickfc.ie/club-info-2/club-crest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Kess73 wrote: »
    The stars are for the two times Limerick have won the league of Ireland title.

http://www.limerickfc.ie/club-info-2/club-crest

It's a different club though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Des wrote: »
    It's a different club though.

Technically yes, but it is still a variation of the original club. The3re has always only been one senior club from Limerick and it has had many different owners/guises.

And it is hardly the only club in Ireland that has had to change owners/guise at one point or other and still claim a long connection to it's area. Cork city FC is technically not the same club as legally the current incarnation has only existed since 2010 when the name of the club was purchased by Cork City FORAS Co-op but I doubt any auld lad who has been going to Cork City (in one guise or another) games for decades gives a shyte as to whether or not the club is technically a different one or not, same applies to Limerick FC as far as I am concerned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

I've always hated that badge myself, I wish we would go back to the old one but I think there is a rights issue or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

I think Norwich have the same badge today as they had in their first EPL season in 92/93.

Open to correction but I'm fairly confident

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I think Norwich have the same badge today as they had in their first EPL season in 92/93.

Open to correction but I'm fairly confident

Yep correct, at least todays kit is not as bad as

norwich-city-home-1992-1994.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BetterCallSaul

Newcastle's hasn't changed at all, to the best of my knowledge.

Newcastle's hasn't changed at all, to the best of my knowledge.

Had a different badge in the 80's, although that's slightly OT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BetterCallSaul

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Had a different badge in the 80's, although that's slightly OT

Aye, current one since 1988 Google tells me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Just looking at Everton's there... I thought they have always had the same, but there is sharpening up of the crest (which wouldn't count as selling out in my opinion) but there is also that a flag-type thing changing around the tower. That wouldn't count as selling out surely.

efc__1265796677_crests.jpg
    The interwoven 'EFC' design was adopted between 1922-1930. However, no badge was adopted until 1973 when a bold 'EFC' design was used. The shield design with the latin text was first used on club shirts in 1980. Since that original use on the shirts the crest has been modified and re-designed - with the current evolution of the design first introduced on shirts for the 2000/01 season. The '1878' wording and 'Everton' were added as permanent elements on the crest in 1998 but due to an ongoing kit deal, it was not added to the shirts until 2000.

Jason Todd wrote: »
    Just looking at Everton's there... I thought they have always had the same, but there is sharpening up of the crest (which wouldn't count as selling out in my opinion) but there is also that a flag-type thing changing around the tower. That wouldn't count as selling out surely.

efc__1265796677_crests.jpg

360px-Everton_crests.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Kess73 wrote: »
    Technically yes, but it is still a variation of the original club. The3re has always only been one senior club from Limerick and it has had many different owners/guises.

And it is hardly the only club in Ireland that has had to change owners/guise at one point or other and still claim a long connection to it's area. Cork city FC is technically not the same club as legally the current incarnation has only existed since 2010 when the name of the club was purchased by Cork City FORAS Co-op but I doubt any auld lad who has been going to Cork City (in one guise or another) games for decades gives a shyte as to whether or not the club is technically a different one or not, same applies to Limerick FC as far as I am concerned.
    Technically? It either is, or it isn't?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Helix wrote: »
    3 since sky

and one of those was just removing the crest at the bottom

the circular one should never have been gotten rid of

No it's definitely 4.

Sky Sports launched in 1991 and Villa have had these badges since then:

1990-92 1992-2000 2000-2007 2007 - Present

I agree the circular one was iconic and shouldn't have been changed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement