Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mira Elite ST

Options
  • 10-10-2012 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

I see a few problems listed on here but not sure my one was covered.

Basically we're having trouble with the temperature, it seems impossible to get it right. We changed from Med to High last week and its either freezing (sometimes with Low Flow light on) or roasting.

Is this a common fault (6 yrs old), and can it be repaired.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

That's exactly how my Mira shower played up right before it gave up. It was around six years old also. I had to replace it.

I ended up getting an other Mira, it makes the installation easier as the water inlet pope connections are in the same place on the current models as the old model.

Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭corkandproud

Cheers Brian, guess I better go back to Heatmerchants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I see a few problems listed on here but not sure my one was covered.

Basically we're having trouble with the temperature, it seems impossible to get it right. We changed from Med to High last week and its either freezing (sometimes with Low Flow light on) or roasting.

Is this a common fault (6 yrs old), and can it be repaired.
    It is common enough a problem.

It sounds like the flow rate may be restricted, and so with the full elements on, the water gets too hot, then the overheat stat operates, then the water gets cold, cooling the stat, and the stat resets and the cycle repeats.

The fact the low flow light is on suggests this is the case. The usual culprit is limescale, either in the shower head, or inside the shower element tank itself.

Try putting the shower head in de scaler or clear vinegar overnight, and see if that helps.

Another item could be the filter, it may be a little clogged, restricting water flow.

Shower temperature is all about water flow rate. When you change the temperature dial, it is really only varying the flow rate, the higher the flow, the cooler the shower. So if the flow is restricted for any reason, the water will be too hot, and if very hot, the overheat stat goes on and off as outlined earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭corkandproud

It's not so much that the temperature changes, we just can't get it set at the right temperature. It's not a case of cycling between hot and cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

It's not so much that the temperature changes, we just can't get it set at the right temperature. It's not a case of cycling between hot and cold.

Its likely going to be a water flow problem anyway, and limescale is often the problem.

Try running it without the shower head on it. Keep the hose up at chest height at least, to ensure the pressure switch keeps the elements on, and see will the water temperature be more controllable then. If it is, it might be the shower head holes partly blocked with scale.

Edit:
    It is probably cold, then when you turn the dial to hotter, it gets way too hot quickly, turn back down a little and its cold again?

If thats the case then the flow restriction is probably inside the shower before the pressure switch, and the pressure switch may be cutting the elements off through lack of water, so its cold, then when you turn up the temp dial, enough water flows to bring on the pressure switch, but not enough for the water to avoid getting too hot. This would be limescale inside the shower heater tank, or a clogged filter, or a problem with the water supply to the shower.

The low flow warning you got would suggest water flow rate is being restricted from one of the above.

• Advertisement
Advertisement