Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast?

• 10-10-2012 9:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 754 ✭✭✭

Where is good to go for a veggie breakfast during the week in Dublin?
    I like Odessa's brunch at the weekend but haven't a clue where to go during the week.

Maybe somewhere that does nice toast not just slice pan or nice pancakes and maple syrup or porridge. Drooling at the thoughts of breakfast now.

I don't like Cornucopia. It is too dark and stressful and the breakfast is served in bits and pieces no matter how many times you ask for the tea, bread bricks (toast ) and breakfast to be served together.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

Queen of Tarts: http://www.queenoftarts.ie/breakfastmenu.html

It's open at 8am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Weyhey

madrabui wrote: »
    Queen of Tarts: http://www.queenoftarts.ie/breakfastmenu.html

It's open at 8am.

Thanks for that. I always found Queen of Tarts expensive for what they sell/bake. Maybe I should give it another try though.

Any other cafe or restaurant spring to mind?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

There's a cafe upstairs in Tower records. It's a casual spot and the staff don't rush you out of the place: http://www.towerrecords.ie/viewnews.asp?id=209

I haven't had breakfast here but my husband has and likes it:
    http://www.oneillsbar.com/food/oneills-breakfast-menu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Weyhey wrote: »
    I don't like Cornucopia. It is too dark and stressful and the breakfast is served in bits and pieces no matter how many times you ask for the tea, bread bricks (toast ) and breakfast to be served together.

I don't get this or other regular negative comments about Cornucopia. Now breakfast at Cornucopia wouldn't be the high point of my day but there's a good choice and at a fair price. It always arrives together and it's fresh. Stressful? How? The staff are always friendly and polite and the place seems, to me, to be very relaxed. As it happens I was there this morning, €8:50 for a filling brekkie at a comfortable table. Ok the toast can be a bit of a challenge but it is healthy stuff!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Is it actually filling in there? looks dear and like you wouldn't get much but I've not tried it. So maybe you get a good portion?
    Because pancakes 9.50 or an omelette+a sausage 10e, which seems a bit steep unless it is quite filling. And their options sound nice!

Woodstock seems quite good, not tried it yet but gonna have a look soon before work some day.
    Rhubarb Compote v €3.95
    Natural Yoghurt & Granola v €3.95
    Fruit Salad v €3.95
    Porridge and fruit salad with tea or coffee v €5.95
    Woodstock brown bread or toast & porridge with tea or coffee v €5.25
    Scones with home-made jam v mixed berry, apple and cinnamon, sultana or plain €1.95
    Gluten-free sultana scones v €2.90
    Eggs v Two free-range eggs poached, scrambled or fried & served on toast or Woodstock brown bread with tea or coffee (can be made gluten-free) €4.75
    toast or Woodstock brown bread and tea or coffee choose from fried, poached or scrambled free-range eggs, home-made potato cakes, mushrooms, beans, tomato, fried potatoes. €4.75–10.00
    Buttermilk Pancakes v Chocolate or Maple Syrup €5.00
    Traditional Pancakes v with lemon, butter & sugar €5.00

• Advertisement

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    I don't get this or other regular negative comments about Cornucopia. Now breakfast at Cornucopia wouldn't be the high point of my day but there's a good choice and at a fair price. It always arrives together and it's fresh. Stressful? How? The staff are always friendly and polite and the place seems, to me, to be very relaxed. As it happens I was there this morning, €8:50 for a filling brekkie at a comfortable table. Ok the toast can be a bit of a challenge but it is healthy stuff!

The food isn't bad (sometimes absolutely yummy and other times boring) and the breakfast is nice ( a decent price too and I love their veggie sausages) but for me no matter how many times I ask for everything together the toast arrives at a different time to the hot food and then you have to go back up and get your tea or coffee.

I agree the staff have always been very nice and helpful.

The tables are too close together and the place is quite dark, apart from breakfast the place is always packed when I go in. Queuing up, trying to see the salads, trying to find a table and get to it through the maze of other tables with a tray in your hand, going back to get your water and so on is so stressful to me. I never minded it before the renovations as I thought they were at least aiming to make the place bigger but now they extended I don't really like the squashed packed atmosphere. Breakfast time is a lot quieter but maybe I just associate the name Cornucopia with stress now.

Also in my opinion the stairs down to the toilets and the toilets themselves look like they need a good scrub.

I often wished for the seating and peaceful atmosphere of Juice and the food of Cornucopia.

RIP Juice.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ideally the food of blazing salads in juice, mmmmm.

The food isn't bad (sometimes absolutely yummy and other times boring) and the breakfast is nice ( a decent price too and I love their veggie sausages) but for me no matter how many times I ask for everything together the toast arrives at a different time to the hot food and then you have to go back up and get your tea or coffee.

I agree the staff have always been very nice and helpful.

The tables are too close together and the place is quite dark, apart from breakfast the place is always packed when I go in. Queuing up, trying to see the salads, trying to find a table and get to it through the maze of other tables with a tray in your hand, going back to get your water and so on is so stressful to me. I never minded it before the renovations as I thought they were at least aiming to make the place bigger but now they extended I don't really like the squashed packed atmosphere. Breakfast time is a lot quieter but maybe I just associate the name Cornucopia with stress now.

Also in my opinion the stairs down to the toilets and the toilets themselves look like they need a good scrub.

I often wished for the seating and peaceful atmosphere of Juice and the food of Cornucopia.

RIP Juice.

Forgot to mention - Cornucopia with kids or a buggy and I am nearly having a heart attack my stress levels get so high.

Is it actually filling in there? looks dear and like you wouldn't get much but I've not tried it. So maybe you get a good portion?
    Because pancakes 9.50 or an omelette+a sausage 10e, which seems a bit steep unless it is quite filling. And their options sound nice!

If you mean Cornucopia - it is the toast and tea or coffee that make the breakfast seem reasonable. The omelette is usually a fair size (I often find omelettes too big in restaurants) and the sausages are yummy and quite filling. Although some of their breakfast dishes do seem overpriced e.g. the pancakes option for €9.50 and the fruit salad yoghurt option for €7.25.

Ideally the food of blazing salads in juice, mmmmm.

You hit the nail on the head there. Heaven. Oh I am so hungry now. Off to have some veggie shepherds pie.

• Advertisement

All true. I only ever go there for brekkie.

Old thread I know and wasn't sure if I should put this in a new one but I just noticed this while searching the net -

http://www.countrycafe.ie/menus/breakfast/

Vegetarian Breakfast: 2 poached eggs, mushrooms, beans, tomato, quorn bacon, served with toast and tea/coffee for €7.50.

Have never tried it so can't comment on the taste or the cafe.

Old thread I know and wasn't sure if I should put this in a new one but I just noticed this while searching the net -

http://www.countrycafe.ie/menus/breakfast/

Vegetarian Breakfast: 2 poached eggs, mushrooms, beans, tomato, quorn bacon, served with toast and tea/coffee for €7.50.

Have never tried it so can't comment on the taste or the cafe.

Quorn bacon has a bit of a slimy texture but it tastes ok. There are better ones... Tesco in the UK (or up North) do really nice soya based ones.

Edit: I know the place! I had brekkie in there a few times and it's always quorn sausages rather than the bacon we've gotten. Still a good breakfast!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Just to say San Lorenzos do some lovely veggie brunch options, we went there this week and it was yummy!

http://www.sanlorenzos.ie/brunch-menu/

SmokeyEyes wrote: »
    Just to say San Lorenzos do some lovely veggie brunch options, we went there this week and it was yummy!

http://www.sanlorenzos.ie/brunch-menu/

Thanks for this SmokeyEyes.

This restaurant is where Juice used to be. Sniff sniff.

Some of the options sound lovely.
    Hate the way it marks the polenta with Parmesan as vegetarian. I know they are an Italian Restaurant but there are some lovely Irish hard cheeses like Desmond or Imokilly they could use instead. They are not the only food place to mark Parmesan as veggie though.

While on the subject of breakfasts – Slice in Stoneybatter have a lovely breakfast and brunch menu. Portions are small but food is very good especially the sour dour bread.

Also they open from 10 weekends and not 9 as on their website menu.

http://asliceofcake.ie/menu.php

I haven't had breakfast in Dublin city centre for a long while now and wondering if there are any new places to try?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

I haven't had breakfast in Dublin city centre for a long while now and wondering if there are any new places to try?

Third Space in Smithfield
    Brother Hubbard (Capel Street) or Sister Sadie
    The Lovely Food Company, Drumcondra

Roselm wrote: »
    Third Space in Smithfield
    Brother Hubbard (Capel Street) or Sister Sadie
    The Lovely Food Company, Drumcondra

Thank you roselm. Third Space and The Lovely Food Company a bit out for breakfast while shopping in town but I might try them some weekend. Any ideas if they are good for bringing kids and a buggy to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

Thank you roselm. Third Space and The Lovely Food Company a bit out for breakfast while shopping in town but I might try them some weekend. Any ideas if they are good for bringing kids and a buggy to?

Lovely Food Co has outside seating which would certainly accommodate a buggy but maybe next year when it's a bit warmer!! It's fairly small inside.
    Third Space would probably be doable with a buggy and it's very near Smithfield Luas stop.

• Advertisement
Advertisement