Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you think all Irish children should have free health care?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

Sauve wrote: »
    Not seeing the connection here....

OK. Normally taxpayers don't want their money spent. But the argument is catch the problem early and it will cost less.

I don't mind my money being spirit on other people's children. Its for the good of the nation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭benchppress

Speech impediments, hearing tests, eye tests... Will I go on ?

My daughter was 3.5, all perfect, we legally have to bring her for check ups where we live, had the eye test, thought she'd breeze through it, turns out she only had 25% vision in one eye, we are involved, caring parents and we didn't have a clue, nobody did. And to her it was normal to be nearly blind In one eye. This check up led to her eye now getting back to 90% vision, but if it wasbt caught early, it wouldn't have improved as much as it did.
    So yeah, I see mandatory check ups as a great excercise

please do i would like you to share more personal anecdotes based on your massive experience of primary health screening

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭mariano rivera

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    I think every person regardless of age should be entitled to medical attention when its actually required. That doesn't mean whenever someone has a slight touch of the cold though. However those that can afford it should make a contribution.

How do you decipher if someone has a slight cold or is suffering from a more serious complaint WITHOUT medical attention?

Diagnoses at a distance? (maybe 50 feet)

Diagnoses via postcard ?

Diagnoses via lottery ?

Diagnoses via Hair color?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

emo72 wrote: »
    OK. Normally taxpayers don't want their money spent. But the argument is catch the problem early and it will cost less.

I don't mind my money being spirit on other people's children. Its for the good of the nation.

Yeah I see where you're coming form alright but if healthcare is free, that would lead to massive abuse of the system.
    I think that in general, our children are very well looked after. Any infant/childhood illness is usually taken very seriously by GPs'. If it isn't, you need to be changing doctors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

please do i would like you to share more personal anecdotes based on your massive experience of primary health screening

How can it possibly be a ad thing ?

It might have caught your stutter early enough to stop in seeping into your username :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

How do you decipher if someone has a slight cold or is suffering from a more serious complaint WITHOUT medical attention?

Diagnoses at a distance? (maybe 50 feet)

Diagnoses via postcard ?

Diagnoses via lottery ?

Diagnoses via Hair color?

Presumably the patient/parent will be a relatively competent adult who knows the signs of a slight cold. We've all had colds, we know the deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

what's wrong with canada

Too many Canadians aboot the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

No, I don't think kids should have free healthcare, I think we all should.
    Similar to the nhs - higher taxes for everyone, but get free decent health care.
    (That's the way it works yeah? I'm going by what friends in UK have said, I've never personally experienced it, so could be wrong)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

I would hazard a guess that taxes in ireland are probably equivalent to the uk, but what bugged me was the amount of taxes I used to pay, and not seeing anything major in return for them......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Well if I work say 40-50 years of my adult life I think I'd be paying for it myself.

Huh? No you won't. Unless there's a constant supply of workers paying into the pot you'd obviously lose everything.
    I would hazard a guess that taxes in ireland are probably equivalent to the uk, but what bugged me was the amount of taxes I used to pay, and not seeing anything major in return for them......

No taxes in Ireland are quite a bit lower. The public sector here is a lot smaller than the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Free healthcare for children, first mooted in the 50's and still hasn't arrived. In any case its too expensive now for it to become a reality unfortunately.

What the government should do is try and encourage more competition in the GP sector. They could do this by having a centralised patient record making it easy for patients to change GP or use a different one. They could also create a website for an agency that forces registered doctors to display their rates so that it is easy to do a price comparison, much like the HIA.

Healthcare is a protected industry in Ireland, but it needs to become a commodity.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭vepyewwo

ladypip wrote: »
    There was a time that if Id needed to bring my son to the accident and emergency dept I couldn't have afforded it. There are people who aren't entitled to medical cards who would be under sever pressure if they needed to bring their children to the doc/ a&e.

Come on now - it costs €100 for an A+E visit. You are not charged extra for any xrays/bloods or other tests they do in A+E or for any future out patient appointments related to that A+E visit. You do not have to pay this €100 euro up front, you will be treated without even being asked how you are going to pay. It usually takes 3-4 weeks for them to send out the bill and you usually have about a further 6-8 weeks after this to pay before they start sending out letters hassling you about it.

That gives you a good 10 -12 weeks after your A+E visit to get €100 together. Surely most families can manage to save €8-10 per week no matter how tough things are, and if they can't then surely they must be eligible for a medical card. If your kid is sick enough that you feel you need to bring them to A+E then I don't think €100 is that unreasonable. (I realise that if your child, for whatever reason, needed to frequently go to see a GP that the costs for that could add up but I'm responding only to the comment about affording A+E).

I certainly don't think there should be free health care for all children. It would be abused with GPs and hospitals overrun with people taking advantage of it and the country just simply cannot afford it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

mdebets wrote: »
    No, they shouldn't. It's the exclusive right of all parents to provide healthcare for their child and that right shouldn't be taken away by the state.
    WTF ?

even if the parent is denying them lifesaving treatment ?

children have rights too

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

vepyewwo wrote: »
    I certainly don't think there should be free health care for all children. It would be abused with GPs and hospitals overrun with people taking advantage of it and the country just simply cannot afford it.
    Remind me again how it works in Norn Iron ?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭vepyewwo

vepyewwo wrote: »
    Remind me again how it works in Norn Iron ?

It runs under the NHS system which is abused with GPs and hospitals overrun with people taking advantage of it. Not to mention health tourists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

And have every parent straight up the doctor when ever their kid sneezes? No thanks.

Easily solved by giving out free hankies with the free doctor care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Just one of many reasons children need timely access to a bit of decent healthcare:

http://www.squidoo.com/jdrf/Juvenile_Diabetes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Why "children" though? We're all children. All Irish people should have free health care (at point of need). There's no such thing as free, we all have to pay one way or another but we shouldn't have a situation where people put off visiting the doctor for illnesses because the feel they can't afford it. In other words let's rejoin the UK and avail of the NHS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭trodsky

brokenarms wrote: »
    Just up to the night doctor with a sick child.

Turned out to be nothing serious but we did not want to take the chance. And rightly so.

Got a bill of 65 euro.

So if parent had no money and had a badly sick child , would the doctor still see the kid? Or just let the child get sicker or worse.

Seems outrages to me that we cant provide free healthcare to our most precious of citizens . Yet we can keep every tom, dick and harry in a free house and dutch gold tokens.

Have we got our proprieties all wrong?

Can you please explain what you mean by a "free house"

The countries broke and your asking for free healthcare? Think about it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Turned out to be nothing serious but we did not want to take the chance. And rightly so.

Got a bill of 65 euro.

So if parent had no money and had a badly sick child , would the doctor still see the kid? Or just let the child get sicker or worse.

Seems outrages to me that we cant provide free healthcare to our most precious of citizens . Yet we can keep every tom, dick and harry in a free house and dutch gold tokens.

Have to disagree there, I don't think a kids life is worth more than an adults, every life has the same value.

Fair enough lets try to help poor people with their healthcare but I notice you use the word all children, let the rich pay for their kids it's only fair.

• Advertisement

Got a bill of 65 euro.

Have to disagree there, I don't think a kids life is worth more than an adults, every life has the same value.

Fair enough lets try to help poor people with their healthcare but I notice you use the word all children, let the rich pay for their kids it's only fair.

So the people with jobs who work hard get to pay for a doctor while the ones who sit on there arse all day at home get it for free?

Is this your proposal?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 jfallon

Got a bill of 65 euro.

My view is either it should be free for everybody or nobody!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

WTF ?

even if the parent is denying them lifesaving treatment ?

children have rights too
    You don't know too much about the history of your country, do you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

No! I don't have kids so why the f[COLOR="Black"]uc[/COLOR]k should I pay for someone elses?

I don't have junkies/scobies so why should I pay for them and their methadone and prison stays?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

jfallon wrote: »
    My view is either it should be free for everybody or nobody!
    +1

its insane that the government picks up the massive bill for anyone chronicly ill YET wont spend the relatively small sums to have Universal GP care to try and STOP them getting ill and costing them money.
    Sick people cost money.
    Healthy (or less chronically sick) dont!

It reminds me of Russia where abortions are free but people cant afford condoms.
    So women end up rolling in to the public hospital every few months for an abortion which costs the state a packet, and far far more than if thy just gave out condoms in the first place.

Universal GP care in Ireland is what free condoms would be in Russia.
    A cheap way to stop folks turning up at hospital needing "free" (EXPENSIVE to the taxpayer) treatment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭andrew241983

Of course they should anyone that says otherwise doesn't have kids but might one day and then their tune will change!!
    (and yes i can pay for my kid)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

dvpower wrote: »
    Your kids are precious to you. Mot anyone else. No they shouldn't get free healthcare.
    And free education? Should that be abolished too?

Nope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

trodsky wrote: »
    So the people with jobs who work hard get to pay for a doctor while the ones who sit on there arse all day at home get it for free?

Is this your proposal?

I was aiming at the low paid workers which is why I said let the rich pay, did you miss that bit in my original post?

Your view of those on social welfare leaves a bit to be desired TBH, sure there are scammers and I despise people like that but let's not include everyone in that.

trodsky wrote: »

Is this your proposal?

I was aiming at the low paid workers which is why I said let the rich pay, did you miss that bit in my original post?

Your view of those on social welfare leaves a bit to be desired TBH, sure there are scammers and I despise people like that but let's not include everyone in that.

I'm sorry you don't like my views but it seems like its the working mans pocket who gets hit all the time. Picking up the tab for the lazy fecks that refuse to work.

Sure work is hard to come by sometimes but I believe there's work out there for those that want it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭sky2424

No- the country is broke.

Kids are expensive, anyone who has kids and expects otherwise is deluded!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Got a bill of 65 euro.

Agree with you on everything and would like it spread to everyone.

How many children have died when their flu like symptoms where not treated and turned out to be meningitis . Parents weighing the cost of Tesco against the price of the doctor.

If only we had a government who gave a rats ass about the people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭benchppress

[QUOTE=gsxr1;81200374
    How many children have died when their flu like symptoms where not treated and turned out to be meningitis[/QUOTE]

not many, most ppl you describe bring their children to a&e and just don't pay

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

I've talked before about the health care system in Ireland and imo its the biggest joke of a system in the so called developed world that Ireland supposedly belongs to, doctors who deem themselves infallible and nurses who blab on the phone more than Ive seen workers do in a call center. Run by a government who are actually lobbying the fecking union scam artists pandering for their votes.

Back on topic.......Free health care one way to get it.......Begin a sliding scale for the doletakers, there is too many people on the dole who just because they have a degree think that working in McDonalds is beneath them.......
    so maybe after 10 months jobless and dole being slashed in monthly decreases to 100 euro maybe then they'll think again about that job in Mcdonalds.

And heres the thing, having a job even a meaningless one gives you value rather than being stuck in a never ending dole cycle of depression.

Now the money saved from these decreases can be forwarded onto free healthcare for kids till 18. + a bonus of taking somebody off the dole and getting them into tax system.

I also like that idea from the poster above who recommends 2 checkups per year...
    prevention is better than cure---It is better to try to keep a bad thing from happening than it is to fix the bad thing once it has happened

kupus wrote: »
    I've talked before about the health care system in Ireland and imo its the biggest joke of a system in the so called developed world that Ireland supposedly belongs to, doctors who deem themselves infallible and nurses who blab on the phone more than Ive seen workers do in a call center. Run by a government who are actually lobbying the fecking union scam artists pandering for their votes.

Back on topic.......Free health care one way to get it.......Begin a sliding scale for the doletakers, there is too many people on the dole who just because they have a degree think that working in McDonalds is beneath them.......
    so maybe after 10 months jobless and dole being slashed in monthly decreases to 100 euro maybe then they'll think again about that job in Mcdonalds.

And heres the thing, having a job even a meaningless one gives you value rather than being stuck in a never ending dole cycle of depression.

Now the money saved from these decreases can be forwarded onto free healthcare for kids till 18. + a bonus of taking somebody off the dole and getting them into tax system.

I also like that idea from the poster above who recommends 2 checkups per year...
    prevention is better than cure---It is better to try to keep a bad thing from happening than it is to fix the bad thing once it has happened

I don't think McDonalds have 450,000 jobs waiting to go to people who are on the dole...
    What about the people who don't get a job after the dole is slashed just to pay for every kids unnecessary doctor visits?
    If you have kids, it's your job to ensure their health is looked after. Not the government and definitely not the taxpayer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I have seen what free GP service can do in NI, with jam packed surgeries and not able to get an appt for a fortnight.

I compare it to RoI, and I can usually get an appt same day or at worst, next day if I need one. I do think that paying €40 each time is a bit much though. Don't mind paying it for myself or OH, but I do think maybe children under school age could get it free?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭burgermasters

No! I don't have kids so why the fuck should I pay for someone elses?

Because you may have kids someday?????? or the fact that they are just kids and need us to do what ever it takes to keep them safe and healthy?? even if ye dont have kids your responsible for the safety of any child around you (moraly) that is, but then again it is your poxy attitude that helps low life child predators think they are in for a chance to get away with it, i really hope you dont have kids ever because from that statement you made alone i think you may be a cold ba****d.:mad:

Because you may have kids someday?????? or the fact that they are just kids and need us to do what ever it takes to keep them safe and healthy?? even if ye dont have kids your responsible for the safety of any child around you (moraly) that is, but then again it is your poxy attitude that helps low life child predators think they are in for a chance to get away with it, i really hope you dont have kids ever because from that statement you made alone i think you may be a cold ba****d.:mad:

It's not anyone elses business to look after anyone elses children! Where the hell do people get this opinion from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭poeticseraphim

I believe in equal acess health care by taxation.

people have kids,, time goes on times change lose there jobs and so on,, ye cant tell what will happen in the future so why take it out on kids? i have 3 kids and heaven its self would not stop me getting them well money or not and if a doctor refused to see one of my kids then he himself would need a doctor,, wake up people for **** sake these are OUR children cant understand the mentality of the things im reading here? bitch and moaning i work these hours and so why should i pay?? because our kids may be the doctor or solicitor or what ever you may need??? cop the **** on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

I have 3 kids 1 had major health problems. From going to my gp and hospital numerous times I have noticed a few things. There should be a triage system at the gp,same as at the hospital. As my daughter suffered from febrile convulsions her visits to the doctor wwhere always nessecary. I could not afford some of these visits and the gp didnt charge me. It does bug me that I am self employed struggling to make ends meet and one visit to the doctors including pharmacy can work out over 100 euro. I think if a triage system was in place at gp's it could sort out the patients that are most in need of care

It's not anyone elses business to look after anyone elses children! Where the hell do people get this opinion from?

What is wrong with you?? will it be there business when your walking down the street alone and drop of a stroke or get mugged when your an old man and that kid all grown that you think should not get free health care happens to see you and save your life? or on the other hand in a strange twist of karma that same kid is dead because they had a fever and mom or dad were unable top get health care and turns out kid had meningitis and dies,, but not there to help you???? karma's a bitch my friend:mad:

whelan1 wrote: »
    I have 3 kids 1 had major health problems. From going to my gp and hospital numerous times I have noticed a few things. There should be a triage system at the gp,same as at the hospital. As my daughter suffered from febrile convulsions her visits to the doctor wwhere always nessecary. I could not afford some of these visits and the gp didnt charge me. It does bug me that I am self employed struggling to make ends meet and one visit to the doctors including pharmacy can work out over 100 euro. I think if a triage system was in place at gp's it could sort out the patients that are most in need of care

Couldn't agree with you more.

people have kids,, time goes on times change lose there jobs and so on,, ye cant tell what will happen in the future so why take it out on kids? i have 3 kids and heaven its self would not stop me getting them well money or not and if a doctor refused to see one of my kids then he himself would need a doctor,, wake up people for **** sake these are OUR children cant understand the mentality of the things im reading here? bitch and moaning i work these hours and so why should i pay?? because our kids may be the doctor or solicitor or what ever you may need??? cop the **** on.

There's always going to be Doctors and Solicitors regardless of whether we have free healthcare for kids of not. And it's not OUR children, it's YOUR children.

What is wrong with you?? will it be there business when your walking down the street alone and drop of a stroke or get mugged when your an old man and that kid all grown that you think should not get free health care happens to see you and save your life? or on the other hand in a strange twist of karma that same kid is dead because they had a fever and mom or dad were unable top get health care and turns out kid had meningitis and dies,, but not there to help you???? karma's a bitch my friend:mad:

If I drop of a stroke there's not much some randomer on a street can do.

People die. That's just the way it is.
    Why is meningitis being singled out in this thread? Not many people dying of that now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i do beleive that every child under the age of eighteen should have free healthcare and also free school travel, as well as school books for free, and we should scrap the childrens allowance so that the important things like health and their education be looked after, something has to go, so childrens allowance should be scrapped and if not scrapped it should be brought down to half

• Advertisement

There's always going to be Doctors and Solicitors regardless of whether we have free healthcare for kids of not. And it's not OUR children, it's YOUR children.

yes and every parent out there will do what ever it takes to look after THERE children,, but it is the typical stuck up i was a student for years and i work 40 to 50 hrs pw blah blah ****ing blah meanwhile forgetting those who helped them get through collage and get to where they are now! collage grants and the likes hhhmmmm im sure you got one of them before? now why the **** should i pay for collage grants to send you to school? but i do!

If I drop of a stroke there's not much some randomer on a street can do.

People die. That's just the way it is.
    Why is meningitis being singled out in this thread? Not many people dying of that now.

because i gave you a scenario,? and there is a lot some random person can do! i once saved an old mans life who took a stroke on the street when there was no one else around just because i care for my fellow man.:mad:

yes and every parent out there will do what ever it takes to look after THERE children,, but it is the typical stuck up i was a student for years and i work 40 to 50 hrs pw blah blah ****ing blah meanwhile forgetting those who helped them get through collage and get to where they are now! collage grants and the likes hhhmmmm im sure you got one of them before? now why the **** should i pay for collage grants to send you to school? but i do!

I'm currently getting a college grant actually :P Thanks for the moola.
    But seriously, it costs a whole lot more money to give every single child free healthcare that it does to send students to college. The more graduates we have, the more businesses want to come here and the economy benefits.

I'm currently getting a college grant actually :P Thanks for the moola.
    But seriously, it costs a whole lot more money to give every single child free healthcare that it does to send students to college. The more graduates we have, the more businesses want to come here and the economy benefits.

and how much do ye think that costs? you are a selfish greedy person, you think that people have a right to a collage grant but **** children who's parents are finding times hard and cant afford health care she be just left? i ask you again why the **** should I pay for your education? your not my kid?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mother_of_two

Children are very expensive. I got two, and whenever one gets sick second get same next day. Doctors' bills multiple by two. Would be nice to have at least a discount at GP ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement